Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is dangerous - for my wallet. Another should I thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad this thread has been so successful.

I've been inhaling Model S information practically non stop, its starting to become a problem I think.

Spoke with the wife this morning and she's on board. Did some emailing back and forth with my financial advisor, he's cool with it. So now its just getting comfortable with the idea of it and looking into interest rates.

Man, that didn't take long.........what 48 hrs?

Hehe Welcome to the cult! You will be receiving your ceremonial staff and cowl in the mail quite soon :)

No first hand experience but the Tesla forum has Energy FCU with rates between 1-1.5%. Mary Johnson as a contact.

Now you'll just have to find an electrician to wire your garage :)
What configuration did you settle on? S or P? D?
Congrats!

She's on vacation until next week. Told ya I've been inhaling information ;)

Not 100% settled yet. Knowing my personality, it'll be the P85D.

Oh, and the father in law is an electrician!

Last edited:
I ordered my 85D before the D's were available for test drive. Once the store got a P85D (about 7 hours after it arrived) i took it for a test drive. I'm not used to fast cars, especially P85D fast, I got nauseated from the acceleration. Now maybe I would get used to it and not feel ill, but I was quite glad after test driving the P85D that i didn't get it and "only got the 85D.
but each person is going to respond differently.

I ordered my 85D before the D's were available for test drive. Once the store got a P85D (about 7 hours after it arrived) i took it for a test drive. I'm not used to fast cars, especially P85D fast, I got nauseated from the acceleration. Now maybe I would get used to it and not feel ill, but I was quite glad after test driving the P85D that i didn't get it and "only got the 85D.
but each person is going to respond differently.

Good point for sure. I'm definitely not pressing the order button anytime in the next few days. I've already had two offers from members on this forum for me to take a look at their cars, extremely generous. So I'll be test driving before ordering for sure, mainly to just solidify design choices and model choices.

I just have this bad feeling in my stomach that I would have immediate buyer's remorse for spending that much money on something like a car.

I think everyone has that initial thought. What stuck in my head before I bought it, and while researching it, was someone's comment about you having to be nuts to buy a car full of laptop batteries. That one really got to me.

Well, one year later (coming up next week), and my only tinge of "buyer's remorse" happened when the "D" with autopilot came out. I guess it wasn't really "buyers" remorse, it was more like "I wish I waited" remorse. But it didn't last long at all. My car has significantly depreciated too, but that doesn't bother me. I don't look it as an investment, nor have I ever looked at any vehicle in that way. I just look forward getting into this car every day, and that hasn't changed in the least, in fact, it just keeps getting better. Plus, it's part of the plan for a better environment for our children and their children. For this reason, it's different than the Jaguar and "poor children" comment you made.

My motto is life's too short to put things off. If you later regret something, well, that's just part of the package and living a life without regrets sounds like a boring life to me. The vast majority of really successful self-made people have had their share of failures. You don't get anywhere worth being at without taking risks.

Provided you have the finances of course. I don't think it's prudent for anyone to live beyond their means (unless single, without children, and going for broke! - nothing wrong with that.)

Last edited:
I guess it depends on many factors, how old you are and where you are at in life. I retired at 54 and did so because I realized that no amount of money will make you happy if you do not have your health. Not that many people will spend 100k for a car, but I have been into cars since I was a child. I have no problem spending money on cars, and my Tesla is like no other car I have ever owned. I would rather have what makes me happy now rather than leave this planet regretting not ever having it. Assuming you have the disposable income to make these decisions is of course important. I have had good health along with my wife with the exceptions of a few blips and those blips really bring everything into perspective. I know this will sound superficial but owning a Tesla is very special and for both myself and my wife who also loves cars. So all I can say is if you can make it happen and it is something you want, do it.

I think everyone has that initial thought. What stuck in my head before I bought it, and while researching it, was someone's comment about you having to be nuts to buy a car full of laptop batteries. That one really got to me.

Well, one year later (coming up next week), and my only tinge of "buyer's remorse" happened when the "D" with autopilot came out. I guess it wasn't really "buyers" remorse, it was more like "I wish I waited" remorse. But it didn't last long at all. My car has significantly depreciated too, but that doesn't bother me. I don't look it as an investment, nor have I ever looked at any vehicle in that way. I just look forward getting into this car every day, and that hasn't changed in the least, in fact, it just keeps getting better. Plus, it's part of the plan for a better environment for our children and their children. For this reason, it's different than the Jaguar and "poor children" comment you made.

My motto is life's too short to put things off. If you later regret something, well, that's just part of the package and living a life without regrets sounds like a boring life to me. The vast majority of really successful self-made people have had their share of failures. You don't get anywhere worth being at without taking risks.

Provided you have the finances of course. I don't think it's prudent for anyone to live beyond their means (unless single, without children, and going for broke! - nothing wrong with that.)

This wouldn't extend us beyond our means by at all. In fact, one of the things I've come up with is the total cost of ownership between this and a brand new Tahoe (which no one would think twice about) in a couple of years, just about equal out in about 7 years. This factors in me spending $6000 - $7000 a year in gas, and a very low electricity rate (.0678kwh). So essentially I'll be spending $100k in "auto costs" for the next 7 years, its just if it would be front loaded or not.

Your post is very timely because my wife sort of spilled the beans slightly with her sister tonight. Her husband is a big "car guy" and once they realized what she was talking about, they of course just unloaded on her with some of the usuals "I can't believe you would spend $100k on a car, are you serious?" and "The batteries only last like 100k miles in those things" and "Why don't you just go buy a BMW or something? Or geez a Maserati..it would cost less!". Her husband is a police officer and said that I better check into if I can even register it because of the laws, people aren't getting them registered and they are pulling people over all the time with improper registration :rolleyes:. They also said, "It's super flashy and everyone would know how much you spent on it."

All of this coming from a couple that spent $55k on a limited edition Ford Explorer that they rolled their other debt into, because they are always upside down on their vehicles.

So the stereotypes and cliches are already starting. However, like others have mentioned in this thread, we can't worry too much about what others think because we know we've done the math and the justification in our own minds.

I'll keep you all updated.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your police officer brother-in-law is (to put it politely) un-informed/under-informed.
Please ask your sister-in-law to find out and verify her facts about the number of people that are being "pulled over all the time with improper registration" in Texas.
Numbers, dates, location, VINs and driver's ID #.
Accept nothing less.
Haters gonna hate.

You absolutely can get your car inspected (except for emissions, because there are none), registered, titled and tagged in Texas.
And the local tax assessor/collector in your country will gladly take the State tax payment and hand you your tags.
Front tags are mandatory in Texas, and there are some options where/how to mount them beside the middle of the nose.

And it also sounds like more sour grapes than information: batteries (in any 85) are warranted for unlimited mileage for 8 years.

Good for you that you have enough logic and sense to look past your in-laws' horizon and not require their permission for what you desire in life.

BTW, your next big hurdle will be selection of exterior color, and interior color.
And then the dreaded wait...

Her husband is a big "car guy" and once they realized what she was talking about, they of course just unloaded on her with some of the usuals "I can't believe you would spend $100k on a car, are you serious?" and "The batteries only last like 100k miles in those things" and "Why don't you just go buy a BMW or something? Or geez a Maserati..it would cost less!"... However, like others have mentioned in this thread, we can't worry too much about what others think because we know we've done the math and the justification in our own minds.

Since your brother-in-law is a car guy, just wait until you let him take it for a spin. I have a similar story except it was my uncle, who, before I got it, rolled his eyes, and made fun of it asking how long the extension cord was, and said the cost was crazy, but all that changed when he actually drove it, and sees that I drive it to my cabin 300 km away, over two mountain passes on one charge, then sees Tesla put Superchargers half way to my cabin where I can charger for free, knows that I can drive to LA and back all for free, etc., etc. After he drove it, he said if it was 1/2 the price he would buy it. I said "with or without the extension cord?"

I agree with purplewalt, your next big hurdle will be the colour and the dreaded wait.

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if this was already suggested...

How about you find a Tahoe enthusiast forum, preferably Texas based, and pose the same question there. Then post a link to it here, because the answers would have to be hilarious... :-D

Anyway, I'll side with other responses here: 1) Test drive it. 2) The "expensive car stigma" may happen, but it will likely quickly be replaced with curiosity and request for test rides, then people will forget about it. The car isn't that flashy.

I'm glad this thread has been so successful.

I've been inhaling Model S information practically non stop, its starting to become a problem I think.

Spoke with the wife this morning and she's on board. Did some emailing back and forth with my financial advisor, he's cool with it. So now its just getting comfortable with the idea of it and looking into interest rates.

Man, that didn't take long.........what 48 hrs?
For me if we'e talking a new car it's always been a 2 year process so nothing will happen that fast in my household. But I am almost 1 year in!

JMG, if you are trying to do the math with detail you indicated a very low electricity rate of .0678kwh. I suspect this is just the raw energy cost and you also need to add the delivery/transmission costs which in many cases is about the same as the energy rates. Delivery/transmission rates are usually fixed for a period of time (1-2 years) but the energy cost can vary month to month.

For me if we'e talking a new car it's always been a 2 year process so nothing will happen that fast in my household. But I am almost 1 year in!

JMG, if you are trying to do the math with detail you indicated a very low electricity rate of .0678kwh. I suspect this is just the raw energy cost and you also need to add the delivery/transmission costs which in many cases is about the same as the energy rates. Delivery/transmission rates are usually fixed for a period of time (1-2 years) but the energy cost can vary month to month.

I was being a little sarcastic in m 48 hour comment, I certainly haven't made a full blown decision. However, I'm very far down along the road. Normally a purchase like this doesn't take this quickly, but the pros and cons are very convincing. Right now it's just deciding if I wanted to go with 85D or the P85D. Both can be afforded without sacrificing anything, its just whether or not it would be worth it to splurge for the P while also reducing range slightly.

I can understand your skepticism about my electricity rate, but it's accurate. I was dividing my latest electricity bill $276.78 by my total usage of 4126kwH, which equals 0.06708. Also, this isn't on any special plan. I called my company and the rep was pretty surprised my question if they had any special rates or plans for EV, and when I told him "Tesla Model S" he said, "oh wow! I heard those are so cool! I've never been asked that question before so let me do some reading. Hmm, it looks like we have something but there is a different department that handles that." So they are supposed to be calling me in the next couple of days. We'll see, already a pretty nice rate.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if this was already suggested...

How about you find a Tahoe enthusiast forum, preferably Texas based, and pose the same question there. Then post a link to it here, because the answers would have to be hilarious... :-D

Anyway, I'll side with other responses here: 1) Test drive it. 2) The "expensive car stigma" may happen, but it will likely quickly be replaced with curiosity and request for test rides, then people will forget about it. The car isn't that flashy.

Haha, I'm sure that would be extremely funny. Same thing with a Dave Ramsey forum :)

That sounds good, and like a good consensus. Hopefully the responses would mainly be positive and inquisitive. I won't feel nearly as awkward showing them a Model S vs something else of similar price (Audi R8 for example).

This is a fascinating thread. I had additional costs over and above the car itself: Cleaning 25 years of junk (not all of it mine) out of my garage, a massive dump run by movers, a new garage door, a newly paved driveway, & wiring and installing the HVWC. It came to about 8 K. The straight 60 has more quickness than I would ever need. Because of range anxiety I chose the 85. My only regret is having been 6 weeks too early for the D with autopilot. I am now excitedly planing a June road trip from Washington DC to Halifax NS to visit our first grandchild,who is expected in May. Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia look tricky, especially balancing my wife's desire to get there now against the need for a full charge.

I can understand your skepticism about my electricity rate, but it's accurate. I was dividing my latest electricity bill $276.78 by my total usage of 4126kwH, which equals 0.06708. Also, this isn't on any special plan.... We'll see, already a pretty nice rate.

Wow, those rates really help the BEV economics. Here in NJ with gas service, my electric usage is much lower (like 1/10), but my rates are much higher. My last bill works out to be .1765/kwh. Looking at a summer bill with A/C it's .1826/kwh! I've already checked out what I could do for charging. As a gas house my main panel is only 150 Amp. I could run a 100 amp sub panel in the garage but would be limited to a 70 amp breaker for charging unless I increased the size of the main panel. With underground wiring to the house (transformer is across the street) that would not be cheap, nor necessary.

Wow, those rates really help the BEV economics. Here in NJ with gas service, my electric usage is much lower (like 1/10), but my rates are much higher. My last bill works out to be .1765/kwh. Looking at a summer bill with A/C it's .1826/kwh! I've already checked out what I could do for charging. As a gas house my main panel is only 150 Amp. I could run a 100 amp sub panel in the garage but would be limited to a 70 amp breaker for charging unless I increased the size of the main panel. With underground wiring to the house (transformer is across the street) that would not be cheap, nor necessary.

Yeah out usage has been quite high lately because we don't winterize our pool (just let the freeze protect kick on), and so with 3 3HP pumps running (we have a large waterfall that needs a lot of waterflow), that sucks A LOT of power. With several days not getting above freezing, that certainly makes the meter spin.

I haven't even seen the Model S let alone test driving the vehicle. And I'm buying one. I don't have the money to do this .. it's a crunch. I'll be eating beans and rice.
I'll be retired soon. And yes I'm taking out a loan to get the S in the $100k range. I don't think you can really buy one for less unless you cut yourself off at the legs.
But I have a commitment to the future and I want the electrified transportation system to happen. You can talk the talk or walk the walk as it were.

I've thought about '..what if the company fails'. Still a possibility but with the number of units out there I'm thinking there would still be support. And the company would fail if we didn't 'invest' in it by buying their product.

Here I am in Nebraska and there are no service centers, show rooms (illegal), or Tesla Superchargers. And I'm still buying one! WTF?

Yesterday I was filling up the Honda Pilot (19k miles, 2012) for $50 or so and thought..it's not the gas. Gas is cheap. However, it's the philosophy of owning a piece of the future and being a part of it that matters. Then on the way home all I could see was..tailpipes. And I'm thinking that shouldn't be happening when we have the technology to change it.
I still get cold feet just thinking about it. But I want to be a part of this group on this board and others. And I want to be part of Tesla in my own little way.

I just hope I can protect the S from bankruptcy :)

I haven't even seen the Model S let alone test driving the vehicle. And I'm buying one. I don't have the money to do this .. it's a crunch. I'll be eating beans and rice.
I'll be retired soon. And yes I'm taking out a loan to get the S in the $100k range. I don't think you can really buy one for less unless you cut yourself off at the legs.
But I have a commitment to the future and I want the electrified transportation system to happen. You can talk the talk or walk the walk as it were.

I've thought about '..what if the company fails'. Still a possibility but with the number of units out there I'm thinking there would still be support. And the company would fail if we didn't 'invest' in it by buying their product.

Here I am in Nebraska and there are no service centers, show rooms (illegal), or Tesla Superchargers. And I'm still buying one! WTF?

Yesterday I was filling up the Honda Pilot (19k miles, 2012) for $50 or so and thought..it's not the gas. Gas is cheap. However, it's the philosophy of owning a piece of the future and being a part of it that matters. Then on the way home all I could see was..tailpipes. And I'm thinking that shouldn't be happening when we have the technology to change it.
I still get cold feet just thinking about it. But I want to be a part of this group on this board and others. And I want to be part of Tesla in my own little way.

I just hope I can protect the S from bankruptcy :)
Great post and just think about all the early adopters that took the chance on Tesla, most of what you said is true for me. If no one buys a Tesla then there is no Tesla, for that matter any electric car. I just wish more people would think about the future like most of us on this forum.

I'll be retired soon.

Great post and I love the attitude. But the last part there gives me pause. I am hoping you are exaggerating and while buying a Tesla may not make "financial sense", I hope you have done your due diligence and planning so that it does not put you in the poor house!

(Is there a thread on financing versus purchasing outright?)

I am retired (very early) and don't have debts of any kind. If I can't afford to have something paid off in 30 days (I use credit cards for the cash-back), I don't buy it.

Right now, I'm planning to gouge a 1% earning savings account. (I know, I should have it in stock or bond funds.) It shouldn't hurt anything except my psyche and makes more sense than paying 2% interest.

I'm wondering if other ”debt-free" folks view the Tesla "investment" differently and are willing to pay for it over 3 years or so for reasons that I'm too stupid to know.