TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

This is devastating

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chinnam3, Aug 14, 2018.

1. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. CreamSoduh

CreamSoduh Member

Model 3 Vin 0015xx chiming in to mention I picked my Model 3 up January 9th, 2018 in Santa Barbara during the Montecito mud slides, drove 200+ miles in pouring rain nonstop from Santa Barbara to Fresno, California with zero issues

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. jkirkwood001

jkirkwood001 Member

I agree. I can't imagine this happening if applied as designed. Unless the bolts were not secured / washered properly.

4. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

It rained in California? Now that's breaking news.

• Funny x 5
  5. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I would need to see more than 2 cars out of 100,000 to call a potential defect devastating.

• Like x 5
  6. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

You do not need many incidents like this "Bumper falling off" to tarnish Tesla reputation.

7. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Give me a break, it's a new car with a new build. It happens. Cannot tell you how many times my new iphone breaks down.

Clickbait title worked for me LOL

• Like x 2
  8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

More than 8500 miles in my 3 through many rains an no hint of a problem.

9. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I do not think this is a Design or engineering issue. More like someone screwed it during assembly or rather not screwed it.

10. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Since you probably missed the other thread.. you most likely also missed this informative post by Lasairfion:

VINs of cars who lost back bumper?

Other anecdotal examples of the rear bumper "falling off"

Tesla Model S
    Vauxhall
    Scion
    Cadillac
    Subaru

Apparently driving through water deep enough to catch the rear bumper could dislodge/damage the rear bumper cover causing it to "fall off".

• Like x 2
  11. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

Hmm, how deep were any puddles you had to drive through?

12. JulienW

JulienW Member

Thread title is clickbaitish. It is NOT devastating. Also just to add it is NOT the BUMPER. It is just the bumper cover. While it looks bad and shouldn't happen it doesn't effect safety or drivability (maybe some aerodynamics) and it is very straight forward to just bolt a new one on.

• Like x 2
  13. corduroy

corduroy Member

These types of things have probably happened a hundred times before to a Ford or Toyota, but you have never heard about it because, not a Tesla.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  14. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

There is so much misinformation about cars. Remember the Toyota unintended acceleration problem?

NASA and NHTSA scientists found no electronic defect in Toyota vehicles. Driver error or pedal misapplication was found responsible for most of the incidents.

Even with that finding Toyota still settled the lawsuit and paid for a problem that never existed.

2009–11 Toyota vehicle recalls - Wikipedia

15. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Don't drive through water:

Driving through water can cause long term damage:

Cars hitting water while driving. Notice where all the force of the water is directed- right into the wheel wells and fender skirts.

Examples of why not to drive your ICE vehicle through water. (hint, water is not compressible)

Off-road tips on how to ford water. Notice how slow the vehicles are going, and how they use the front fender to push a bow wake in front of the vehicle.

It should be noted, in my service manuals and owners manual that came with my Land Rover, they are very clear that driving through water is not recommended ever for any reason, and any damage deemed to be from driving through water will not be covered under warranty.

• Informative x 1
  16. glide

glide Member

Title should be “This is hyperbole”

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

If 2 cars losing their bumpers in high water is devastating, what adjective do we use when half the west coast is enveloped in a wild fires?

• Like x 3
  18. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

"I can't imagine this happening if applied as designed. Unless the bolts were not secured / washered properly."

this is wrong. it happened to me (so it's happened at least 3 times). IMO this would occur to almost any model3 driven through the water I was in when it happened. the bolts ripped out of the bumper cover which is (plastic), they did not become unfastened.

the stuff posted about this are absurd. it's not the bumper - its just the cover. it's not the rain - it's the rainwater on the street. the bumper cover is not defective per se - it's just not built (or tested) to tolerated being driven in 1-2 feet of water. most importantly it's really stupid to think that one can always avoid driving in some water on occasion when you live anywhere with torrential rains storms.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

This isn't devastating. I forgot to change undies this morning and sat in the office all day with mudd-butt... THAT is devastating!!!

• Funny x 3
  20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

You must be new here.

This is the new automatic emergency braking system. Shortest braking distance in the industry, whether you want it or not.