Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?

...i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer...

I disagree.

I buy it when I need it. If I don't need it, of course, I could wait.

I was tired of smelling gasoline in 2012 and I had a need to avoid it so I bought Tesla Model S 85 with 265 EPA miles which is much less than the current Model Y that you cited as 326 miles but it served me very well for 5 years and almost 100,000 miles when I switched to Model X specified at 295 EPA miles and it is still working well for me.

If I don't have a cell phone and I need one badly for work but I already have a traditional wired phone at home, I might not want wait for another generation or few generations later of a cell phone to get one. I would get what I need now or I would lose lots of business waiting.

Thus, your needs don't mean my needs.

Doesn’t matter what we think. You already placed an order and promptly canceled due to speculation and hearsay.

Regardless do whatever makes since for you. All those major shifts will not be in production by next year if at all.

Bought two Tesla this year and throughly enough them now. Major changes are more likely 2-3 years out and I can always trade in / trade-up if and when changes reach market and my needs.

I agree - but for a completely different reason. theres a lot of compression happening in the estimated delivery timelines right now. everything is estimated to be delivered before the end of the year and that’s just really suspect. i dell like Tesla is cutting corners to get cars delivered in order to make news. this hurts the consumers who get half baked cars for $60000. think i might pause until a february delivery timeframe.

Neither agree nor disagree. There are good points and bad points. Tesla (and all other EV companies) are continually getting better and putting out better products. For that reason alone, I can agree, the longer you wait the better a product you will likely get for your money. Longer range, more amenities, reduced cost, more options, etc. BUT, how long do you want/need to wait? When is good enough, good enough? At some point you will need to decide for yourself if the current range of products meet your needs. If they do, then great...jump in. If not, then by all means hold on to your dollars and wait for a product that does. Just bear in mind that "next year there will ALWAYS be something better".

Reactions: katbc
I disagree. As a first Tesla/EC owner, I am just blaming myself for not switching to EV earlier while federal tax credit existed for Tesla. Our household only has our new MY LR and works perfectly for daily commute and occasional road trips for hiking with our dogs. Range has never been major issue due to abundant supercharger.

Regarding range improvement with EV, it is like not buying ICE vehicle because the next generation vehicle is going to have a better MPG. Of course, everything gets better with every year due to technogical advancement. I just think that waiting for something better will always make an individual unsatisfied with whatever decision he or she makes. Just enjoy what you can get now and be motivated/excited to get the next tech or improvement.

My 2 cents.

I disagree.

I buy it when I need it. If I don't need it, of course, I could wait.

I was tired of smelling gasoline in 2012 and I had a need to avoid it so I bought Tesla Model S 85 with 265 EPA miles which is much less than the current Model Y that you cited as 326 miles but it served me very well for 5 years and almost 100,000 miles when I switched to Model X specified at 295 EPA miles and it is still working well for me.

If I don't have a cell phone and I need one badly for work but I already have a traditional wired phone at home, I might not want wait for another generation or few generations later of a cell phone to get one. I would get what I need now or I would lose lots of business waiting.

Thus, your needs don't mean my needs.
No new tax credits. You want tax savings? Get a Model X and write it down.

I placed my order for my Tesla Model Y on March 16, 2019. I accepted delivery of my Long Range Dual Motor Model Y in June 2020. This was about a year ahead of when I anticipated Tesla might have the Model Y available. I traded in my 4 year old Chevrolet Volt. (I originally planned to keep the Volt for another year.) I sold my Volt, separate from the purchase of from Tesla Model Y, for 50% of what the Volt had cost (including the $7500 tax credit that was available back in 2016.) Anyway, in spite of one serious issue with the Model Y(an AC compressor oil leak) that required my Model Y to be at the Service Center for over a week I am very happy with my Model Y. I've never looked back and thought I should have kept the Volt for another year.

So you want stability with all the kinks worked out but your willing to wait for a brand new platform and buy that and be the first in line to get one. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

There is constant speculation of something better on the horizon.

I sure expect the new battery design to add more than 60 miles. And as others mentioned that is probably 2-3 years out. This is the first year of production and you think they are gonna dump it for a whole new design in 1 year. They need to make money on their R&D they just put into the Y.

As far as range goes, 326 miles with a Tesla Supercharger network is way more than a commuter car. Every other brand EV is a commuter regardless of range because they lack the supercharging network Tesla has.

I’m all for more range. But calling any Tesla a commuter car is a joke and you just don’t get it.

Only you know your driving pattern so your range needs. But one thing in Tesla's favor is fast charging in all weathers.

You didn't say whether you can charge at home or work.

Don't expect restored tax credits. Republicans control the Senate and the extended EV credits aren't important enough for Democrats to fight for them.

Even if they got them, they'd probably want to set income or price limits that would exclude more expensive vehicles.

But, if you don't "need" to buy, waiting is a good thing. You can use the waiting time to save money.

Just don't expect any particular features.
Figure out what's a hard limit, and figure out how long you're willing to wait. There's always a rumor out there about a refresh, and there's hardly ever truth in it.

As for Tesla's terrible service, you have to go in eyes open.

"$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising." Please don't count your eggs before they are hatched. Its going to be a while before Republican Majority Senate will pass this. Also, please don't question why they would block it? Just because they can, they will.
It’s more a question of fairness. Tesla had their time in the sun and prevailed: Not only that but the pricing of the cars has gone down significantly since the tax credits phased out.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC and house9
I think the core idea that may not be readily understood is that the technology delivery model has evolved. It now more of a software development approach where it’s all about continuous integration and continuous deployment. Tesla in general, as a software/engineering company, has brought this to the transportation segment, cars, rockets etc. I think if you’re waiting for a final perfect product, say in a Model Y, that may be far away and you may literally be waiting forever. There will likely always be a version with better range, power, and it maybe even cheaper than what you originally bought. My MYP was delivered in August, almost a year ahead of expectation. It didn’t have Track Mode as I wanted but it’s a far better car than my 2018 LR M3...and track mode is still not currently available, but I guess I should have still been waiting.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
"$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising." Please don't count your eggs before they are hatched. Its going to be a while before Republican Majority Senate will pass this. Also, please don't question why they would block it? Just because they can, they will.

Not to mention, previously the “tax credit” was baked into a higher price tag. In the end, Tesla got most of the tax break, not the consumer. Which was really the intent of the tax breaks, to help new technologies get off the ground.