Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for my Tesla Model Y on March 16, 2019. I accepted delivery of my Long Range Dual Motor Model Y in June 2020. This was about a year ahead of when I anticipated Tesla might have the Model Y available. I traded in my 4 year old Chevrolet Volt. (I originally planned to keep the Volt for another year.) I sold my Volt, separate from the purchase of from Tesla Model Y, for 50% of what the Volt had cost (including the $7500 tax credit that was available back in 2016.) Anyway, in spite of one serious issue with the Model Y(an AC compressor oil leak) that required my Model Y to be at the Service Center for over a week I am very happy with my Model Y. I've never looked back and thought I should have kept the Volt for another year.

Similar situation here. I bought a Bolt in 2017 because I wanted an EV, couldn't afford an S, and didn't want to wait for an affordable M3. Kept a Honda Fit for long-range driving, because the Bolt really is a commuter car. (Where "commute" includes all driving in the DC-Maryland-Virginia metro area).

We had actually planned to go ahead and drive the Bolt to Maine this year. Planned out where to charge, laid eyes on the chargers last year, got ourselves psyched up for the adventure, and then Tesla announced the MY would be available much earlier than expected. So we sold the Fit, crossed our fingers on build quality, bought an early MY, checked it carefully before driving it home, and are so glad we did. The drive was 1/10 as stressful as it would have been in the Bolt, and about half as stressful as the Fit (mainly due to Autosteer and TACC, but also just the ride and noise being better).

If I'd waited until next year, I'm sure I would have gotten a better car (USB in glovebox, maybe more range, blah blah blah). But in exchange I got to drive to my (extremely socially isolated) vacation place in far more comfort. And it's a bit surprising how much I love never having to deal with gasoline at all. If I have to rent a gasser in the future I'll hate it!

I agree - but for a completely different reason. theres a lot of compression happening in the estimated delivery timelines right now. everything is estimated to be delivered before the end of the year and that’s just really suspect. i dell like Tesla is cutting corners to get cars delivered in order to make news. this hurts the consumers who get half baked cars for $60000. think i might pause until a february delivery timeframe.

So are you thinking Tesla will go private after the New Year?

Lol. Guess what? Next quarter, Tesla needs to pump out even more cars to keep this train going. And more the next, and so on.

Welcome to capitalism in action.

To the OP, you sound like the perfect buyer for Toyota hybrids! "Self-charging," dual-fuel cars taking you as far as you need to go with the current legacy infrastructure, minimal change from generation to generation and 10 to 15 years behind the industry leaders in tech for utmost reliability. You never have to worry about buying today's model, just to see that you missed the boat on next year's model with the latest and greatest. Made for the risk-averse, hands-off mass of buyers for which a car is no different than Tupperware at Target.

I used to have a bunch of Toyotas and Lexuses and would not hesitate to recommend them to my mother-in-law. The Tesla, on the other hand, is my personal baby!

Not certain that ‘need’ is a the appropriate verb for deciding to purchase a Tesla.
I took a few models for test drives and wanted to get one. Lots of reasons behind the decision for a my first EV and decided on MY. Fortunately, $ was not a determining factor in selection. Difficulties arise in properly selecting options, 3rd party products, etc. when adhering to a limited budget for a vehicle like this.
I just picked up my LR MY a couple of weeks ago and extremely pleased. Took a few hrs at the dealer to review the entire checklist available elsewhere here. There were only a couple of very minor issues that the service center immediately fixed.
I took it right away to a nearby reputable shop for full PPF & ceramic coating. Also had the wheels painted satin black to match the trim. Pic of it at the shop when finished.
B95342FD-AE93-4543-9E2F-5F4FB9242FAF.jpeg

I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?

Your money your choice.

As for range, Tesla have a huge lead and produces the longest range and efficient EV’s that’s available now. What if your next year expectations of EV doesn’t come true (for Tesla, other manufacturers, real and vapor ware), how long would you wait for a unicorn EV?

As for lower price commuter car, get the Nissan Leaf, it is still cheaper?

As for reputation, VW had that dieselgate, deliberately misleading consumers so...

Cunrrent 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough. Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car. For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits.

If the car currently on offer does not meet your requirements, your only option is to wait. It is, however, very likely that Tesla will meet your requirements sooner than the others. Time will tell.

I have a 2015 Model S and s 2016 Model X is my wife’s primary car.

We have traveled all over the Northwest. They both have stated ranges in the 240-260 range. We certainly are aware of any day when we travel more than 180 miles or do. At that point, we need to pay attention. Have we ever had to change plans? Never. Have we ever had to top off during a regular driving day? Never. What a lot of prospective new owners don’t realize is that stop and go traffic, and city driving get close to ideal range.
Have we taken long trips? Yes, many. Not cross country, but who really does that? And if you do, it’s a cool adventure in a Tesla!
I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is very hilly, and has long distances to drive. Why don’t you keep track of how far you drive per day for a couple of weeks? If it is over 200 miles, then just get a Model S LR, or go get a gas burner. But I really don’t know a lot of people who drive that far, except those who live in the boonies, salespeople, hunter/campers, or people who like to drive for hours.
But as far as waiting for new technology, that won’t happen. Better batteries is great, but an aspirational technology right now. Tesla has bigger priorities, like making the Cybertruck, and gearing up for the compact hatch they will make as a world killer.

This is reminiscent of the Iphone "should I wait till next year" threads. Tesla is a very dynamic company and the current models are well above the competition and also command good resale value. The wait till next year philosophy is flawed with a dynamic company. There will always be a better battery and more bells and whistles predicted for next model year. Buy current and trade up when you feel the optimal model is being offered. Of course, the "optimal" model may never happen till the company stagnates.
Many of the "wait till next year" crowd are simply rationalizing a reason not to spend money.

MY was advertised as family car.
I guess family includes children.
Doing more stops with kids is not convenient.
We have 3 kids.
Having at least 50 more miles of range would be great.
It will happen in near future, M3 already got that.
New Panasonic battery is already in production.
I have friends with MY and children.
They already told me they wish their car have more range so i don`t need anyone here telling me 250 miles for long trips is already enough.
Im just saying waiting 4 more months will be more beneficial to future buyer.
I understand if someone needs new car right now then there is no question, but if someone is thinking of buying it and not in hurry then waiting couple of months is no brainer

But even then, i would rent a car for $600 per month untill new battery is out, extra 2-3k will be worth waiting.

A second screen? Where is this rumor from???? I find that highly highly highly highly unlikely. Also, batteries probably not within a year. Maybe 2-3 years. They are going in the cyber truck and big rig first...

Just wait. And wait. And then wait some longer. This is high-tech, and the next best thing is always a few months away. It is now, it will be next year, it will be always.

Yes and because of high tech new car with more range will have more value then yours.
More value in resale and more value for owner doing long road trips.

And to get more value in range new owner only has to wait couple of months.
Plus other benefits i already mentioned.

There will be always new tech, but having range you need , and paying $60k for that one time in your life (planing to keep it for many years) then waiting couple of months should not be in question.

Agree?