Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

This is pathetic

Spotted here in Los Angeles. I suppose the bumper could have been a replacement after a repair? Somehow I doubt it, and even if it is, it should match better than this. I wonder if this is age? I will say my bumper is very slightly off in color but nothing close to this.

Attachments

• 358CAD65-133F-462E-B006-2CFE8A762E86.jpeg
    358CAD65-133F-462E-B006-2CFE8A762E86.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 69
I have been buying white cars forever. Plastic and metal just do not show the same colors no matter who makes them or who supplies the paint, just the way it is with water based paints. My Mercedes is very similar. This is not a mismatch of paint.

Go back in time to oil based paints and now we are talking, my 1996 Mercedes SL has almost no perceptible color difference between the plastic bumper cover and the metal of the car.

Never really noticed it though but here you can see mine is similar as well as everybody else's. Really depends on the lighting as to how noticeable it is.
IMG_2856 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have been buying white cars forever. Plastic and metal just do not show the same colors no matter who makes them or who supplies the paint, just the way it is with water based paints. My Mercedes is very similar. This is not a mismatch of paint.

Go back in time to oil based paints and now we are talking, my 1996 Mercedes SL has almost no perceptible color difference between the plastic bumper cover and the metal of the car.

Never really noticed it though but here you can see mine is similar as well as everybody else's. Really depends on the lighting as to how noticeable it is.

I've owned plenty of white cars, and virtually every OE has figured out how to color match their bumpers and panels with modern paint. Tesla doesn't get a pass on this.

VW nails it:

DSC_3921%20web-M.jpg

DSCF1293w-M.jpg

BMW nails it:

DSC_1254-M.jpg

Even Toyota gets it close enough that you need your nose on the paint to notice any mismatch.

IMG_1016-M.jpg

Spotted here in Los Angeles. I suppose the bumper could have been a replacement after a repair? Somehow I doubt it, and even if it is, it should match better than this. I wonder if this is age? I will say my bumper is very slightly off in color but nothing close to this.
hey dont forget to mention the crooked dual motor badge! (I had that on my M3P)

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
varies from car maker to car maker, and even some models within a mfr's lineup. My guess is that in some cases, bumpers are painted on a different assy line and painted in batches.

On another line is the car body/doors getting painted. Body/Doors could be a different day, different bay, different paint batches..

Im certainly not "giving tesla a pass", but I'd be lying if I said I didnt see same thing on other cars. (like my wifes Lexus RX350 that I sold last year.)

Also, certain colors will display the issue more prominently than other colors to the human eye

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC