TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by queenmetroid, Jun 18, 2016.

?

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

1. Yes

174 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. queenmetroid

queenmetroid Member

I got this in the mail today. (Obligatory long-time lurker, first-time poster comment). So it's cool, but not what some people were expecting. I'm somewhat glad it's not more extravagant. Personally, I'd rather they spent the money on car development anyway. :)

Attached Files:

• Like x 14
    • Informative x 4
    • Love x 3
  2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#2 Johan, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    First I heard of it but it makes sense: like you said: "I rather they spend money on car production and development than kissing customer ass like luxury brands otherwise do (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, to some extent Daimler, BMW, Audi, and GM (Cadillac) and Ford (Lincoln). Tesla customers understand they are valued because they are inherently smarter than the general population.". (We'll this wasn't said but it's what I understood).

Post below point in case everyone: this is how people who went to stand in line feel.

• Like x 5
  3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Excellent. This will be added to my collection of original Tesla artwork. :cool:
    I was hoping that it would be the same size as the Model S and X prints, 11x17.

Model 3 poster.jpg

• Like x 1
  4. Jay1001

Jay1001 Member

Quite disappointing really....

• Dislike x 15
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Presuming this is the thank you I'm fine with it. Just the fact they would make the effort to send this to everyone who reserved at a store is a really nice gesture.
    Based on the poll so far the vast majority seem to agree.

• Like x 7
    • Love x 1
  6. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

That's cool. I was actually expecting any 'gift' would be part of the car delivery for those who'd waited so still not convinced this is it (or that anything will be coming to be fair).

This just looks like a thankyou card - which I'll be delighted to receive, and put on the wall in anticipation...

• Like x 2
  7. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@Jay1001,

Are you Serious??? I mean you are among the first on the list to receive this groundbreaking, history making car. I would kill to be in your position. Unfortunately I'm like 275,000 on the list. What more do you want? Some people are unbelievable. Greed personified. How ungracious. Some things are never enough for some people. How about you just cancel your reservation since Elon hasn't done 'enough for you' and I move up one in line. Thanks in Advance.

Your response is 'disappointing'.

Rant over.

Ski

• Like x 11
    • Dislike x 9
    • Love x 4
    • Funny x 1
  8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

There were 2 gifts discussed - 1 for line-waiters the day of, and 1 for those who reserved a Model 3 in any case. Not that any of us waiting in line that first day expected anything other than reasonable prompt order processing (which did in fact occur). Those at the Century City location got a nice treat when Elon showed up to say hi and thanks - pretty classy gesture, that.

The more optimistic and pragmatic amongst us floated the idea of a free or discounted (oh, gosh, there's that word again) configurable option at Design Studio time for those who braved the elements in the wee hours to sign up and make history in the process. No shipping or sizing expense required. Simple software toggle. Separately, a gift for the masses about a year from now would revitalize the reservation holders in anticipation of the 2nd reveal event. Since that thinking, Elon accelerated the schedule; it still seems reasonable that the order of events will include:

1. A mailing of some sort to all reservation holders (see 2nd gift indication above, which would be the first gift for them) - who knows - maybe the OP is that and they'll just move on.
    2. 2nd reveal event.
    3. Design Studio launch for the public (separate from the, by then, 20,000 employee orders for themselves or family)

Conventional thinking resulted in the supposition that a whole bunch of hats, mugs, or scale models might wend their way through the fulfillment process instead. Near the top of the list would be some version of the artwork handed out at the first reveal event. And so it appears the latter is indeed the case. Hey, it's certainly framable as an office chotchky.

It's going to be a busy 18 months, yep. Hard to believe Elon's supplier deadline in the sand (mid-year 2017) is now only about 12 months away. From that point to employee cars to the first public units is going to (hopefully) go pretty quick - six to nine months, I'm thinking, but I do hope to be pleasantly surprised. Even that timeline is, by any measure, aggressive. But hey, if Henry Ford could ramp up quickly, and if the current factory has already at one time cranked out 10,000 units/week, then I like Elon's chances.

• Like x 2
  9. ETravel

ETravel Member

Will look at it while waiting for mine. It's an appropriate gift and appreciated.

• Like x 7
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I like it, and is exactly what I thought it would be after I heard about the attendees at the launch event getting them.

There are hundreds of thousands of preorders, what did some people expect? A gold watch?

• Like x 6
    • Love x 2
  11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Same schmucks who are fooling tjemselves they're waiting in line for a $35k car ;)

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I got a similar style of picture of my BMW X5, AFTER it was paid off (thanks BMW :rolleyes:).

Pretty nice that folks are getting them for waiting in line and putting in a refundable 1k reservation.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

It makes sense because it is cheap to produce and also flat so cheap to ship. But it is a nice touch and appreciated. Remember, these are for *refundable* reservation holders. Some of them won't even end up ordering a car.

• Like x 9
  14. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I got a birth video (on VHS) with my 1989 Honda Civic hatch. Showed the robotic manufacturing process and in the end a model drove a red one out the gates to the waiting transporter. Mine was red too, so that had to be it.

That any company thinks to say thanks in some way is a welcome thing imo.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 1
  15. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Very nice... I'm actually jealous...

• Like x 1
  16. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Perfect, in every respect.

• Like x 3
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Another great gift to go with these prints from the original launch events for the Model S and X. :cool:

Model-X-poster.png

Model S poster.jpg

• Like x 8
    • Love x 1
  18. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I'm fine with this - I agree about the cost being low with shipping and printing - I don't want tesla wasting money on a gift I wasn't even expecting.

They are a small fish in a big pond. And they need money for more important things.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  19. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

That's awesome... Where you a "line waiter" or did you order pre-reveal? Hoping I get one as well.

• Like x 1
  20. Fiver

Fiver Member

Still hoping they give us line waiters the option to buy Sig red paint for our Model 3's if we like.

• Like x 3