Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 181 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right click on
[ img ] tag, select open in new tab... wait a bit... and TADAAA!! ;)

Last edited:
Time of order. Its that simple. There are 3 interesting time-groups here:
  1. Pre-online ordering (up until about 3/31/16 7:30pm PT);
  2. post-online ordering but pre-reveal (3/31/16 between 7:30pm and 8:30pm PT) and
  3. post-reveal (after 3/31/16 8:30pm PT).
You seem to be clearly in the group 2. Elon did say, and I quote his tweet here: "... Also, small token of appreciation coming for those who lined up." So, I suspect that he really means group 1 only.

I suppose its possible that some stores (where?) were still processing in-store orders during the period after the online-ordering started but the reveal hadn't yet started. These people could be separated by what is I am sure, meta-data showing that the order was processed at a store.

I think the intent is to reward people who were willing to stand in a physical queue at the stores, before the product was even publicly revealed.

I also don't know if we'll find out anytime soon. No one said he'd send out the "extra" thing at the same time as what you've shared with us. It could be that we'll get something in the car itself (as some mentioned above) or perhaps around Reveal 2. Certainly the Tesla marketing department will make it a newsworthy thing all by itself.

Could be an interesting week ahead though!

It's the internet age.

They can tell how/where you placed your order by the source IP address.

However, the problem I see is as follows. How do they know I didn't wait in line? I assume everyone reserved through the same application, and there wasn't a check box for "waited in line" or not. What constitutes a "line waiter"? I don't think anyone has a good answer to that question. I know the UTC store in San Diego had a line through late afternoon, but the one I reserved at (Fashion Valley) did not. Is everyone who went to UTC a "line waiter"? Are the store employees going to make a statement "Well, the line lasted until X time" that is going to determine the cutoff?
It's not that hard to figure out when the line ended. Here's a very simple approach, if you want to be more exact, I can come up with something for you which would have a lower false positive rate, but would be more complicated.

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

I'm fine with this, actually. I wasn't really expecting anything other than an early reservation number.

My biggest complaint is that it's not going to look very nice after my mail carrier folds it in half. For some insane reason, my mail carrier (one or all of them, I'm not sure) takes the largest piece of mail, creases it down the middle to make a trough in which the rest of my mail resides as it's slid into my mailbox. So, if this is not the largest piece of mail I receive that day, I may be okay. if it's the largest, forget it.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
My biggest complaint is that it's not going to look very nice after my mail carrier folds it in half. For some insane reason, my mail carrier (one or all of them, I'm not sure) takes the largest piece of mail, creases it down the middle to make a trough in which the rest of my mail resides as it's slid into my mailbox. So, if this is not the largest piece of mail I receive that day, I may be okay. if it's the largest, forget it.
Sigh.... same here.