Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Is The Model 3 Pre-Order Gift

Was this the pre-order gift you expected?

• Yes

Votes: 181 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not be as easy as everyone thinks it is for them to determine who actually waited in a line. Granted, the people that have a reservation date after the 31st didn't, but depending on how they saved the reservations or how they sent the info to the fulfillment company, it might not be easy.

It is entirely possible that he, or his marketing people, changed his mind.
I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

To me:
Elon recognized the sacrifice of those who camped out ( for me - in the rain ) at 3AM and wanted to appreciate everyone who did that.

He said - For those folks I'm gong to send you a gift.

Then he sends it to everyone.

Fine.

Why did he even make a statement about "people in line"? - If its for EVERYONE?

Like you mom promising you something special for cleaning your room when your sister didn't.....but yet she gives both of you something special.
You are blowing this small token of appreciation way out of proportion.

Elon apparently changed his mind and decided to send the small gift to all reservation holders. No big deal. Or maybe they printed more than the number of "line waiters / campers sitting out in the rain at the middle of the night" (in your case) and decided to use them up on some of the first people to place their reservation online.

It really doesn't matter.

And I'm sorry your mom didn't always treat you fairly, from your perspective. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
You are blowing this small token of appreciation way out of proportion.

Elon apparently changed his mind and decided to send the small gift to all reservation holders. No big deal. Or maybe they printed more than the number of "line waiters / campers sitting out in the rain at the middle of the night" (in your case) and decided to use them up on some of the first people to place their reservation online.

It really doesn't matter.

And I'm sorry your mom didn't always treat you fairly, from your perspective. ;)
The original point I was making before it got personal was...... I trust Tesla only to a point. They do things differently than what they say. Its ok. No problem. I've said that many times. They are known for not coming in on time. its absolutely true. And its ok. Its just what it is. I'm still buying the M3.

I'm done with it. I used the story of the mom as an illustration. geeesshhh....

Last edited:
I missed waiting in line. I ordered/reserved on 4/3/2016 11 pm gmt from California.
My best guess is that my # is about 266,000 to 270,000.
Got my print yesterday! WooHoo.
Thank you Elon & company

p.s. read that the #1 in line get the car for the $1000 they put down. Next time I will be in line.

I ordered on the afternoon/early evening of 3/31 in person, several hours before the reveal. However, I did not wait in line. Have received nothing in the mail. So that's a little disappointing to see that people who ordered later are receiving something. I'm happy they're receiving something, just disappointed that I don't seem to be getting anything myself...

I am number 375,000, and decided to reserve, even though out of my budget. Mostly because the team is doing great work and I want them to be successful. I also heard that Elon and team were going to try to get the full tax credit for as many customers as possible, and I wanted to say, "This many?"

I received something beautiful in the mail today. I guess the team likes stretch goals (and more money in the Tesla economy). Right now it is being flattened between a book on the Restoration of the Sistine Chapel and a book on Maurice Prendergast. So it is in good company.

Thanks to Elon and everyone that decided to include every last one of the preorders. It is beautiful work and it makes a difference.

For those of you waiting, just be patient.
It's a small piece of paper with a drawing on it, not a special addition fob or anything. If you get it, cool, if not, who cares.
For those of you waiting, be patient, I reserved my Model 3 on April 2nd around 10 am. Just got my pre-order gift this afternoon in the mail. It's kinda cool, might get a small double frame, wouldn't be upset had I not received, just makes me more anxious than I already am to get the car.

For those of you waiting, be patient, I reserved my Model 3 on April 2nd around 10 am. Just got my pre-order gift this afternoon in the mail. It's kinda cool, might get a small double frame, wouldn't be upset had I not received, just makes me more anxious than I already am to get the car.
One more thing, I'm on the west coast, about 35 min from factory, hope I get my car before a ton of people too!

See, then you are one of many who didn't wait in line and are getting gifts anyway... I ordered on March 31st (but online during the reveal). I don't expect anything.

This is the real gift ... Tesla Model 3 rare red prototype displayed at the Tesla Gigafactory [Gallery]

upload_2016-7-26_17-56-21.png

My husband got this in the mail yesterday as well. Reserved on April 2. Nice to receive, but didn't expect it because had read in this forum a few weeks ago that this item was assumed to be the appreciation gift Musk alluded to for people who were in line on reveal day. It's fine for him to change his mind and send to all reservation holders but, from a customer service perspective, if he "promised" something specifically to those first day in line people he should keep his word...maybe when their cars are delivered they will get a t-shirt or other token.

There is an alternate perspective:

All reservation holders will get artwork.
Line-waiters will receive something else thereafter. It's tricky insofar as getting too personalized from Elon as there were 115,000 of those folk - rather obviates the opportunity for anything hand-signed unless he's even more of a glutton for punishment than he already is (see decidedly non-executive cot next to desk at end of production line). Even if he signs 100 whatevers per day, that's not happening anytime soon. And there's no Signature Model 3 expected, so pretty much the only thing he might sign would be Founders cars, and those are a tad different than 115,000 tokens of appreciation for waiting in line for some number of hours.

Unless and until clarity is provided, I will continue to hold out hope as one of those line-waiter types for a postage-free, handling cost-free, production cost-free toggle-able option at the time of configuration (could be paint, could be supercharging, could be anything, really - and it certainly does not have to be expensive). So simple. Until the accountants get involved of course. After which, said offering will probably end up being a one-size-fits-all standard something or another such as a differently-embroidered cap or mug or scale model - although those scale models can't be all that inexpensive to produce - especially not 115,000 of them. Then again, go price 115,000 custom-embroidered caps sometime. Which brings us back full-circle to the nice, simple postage-free configuration option at the time of ordering. That could actually be treated differently from an accounting perspective as it's happening as part of an actual order/paid for product, yes? I defer to those appropriately degreed and credentialed for that one (configuration option available for $0 at time of purchase versus marketing chotchky for a reservation - if it isn't available to anyone else, who's to say what the value lost is :)? Yes, this is why I am not an accountant.

Larger point being that it's entirely possible that the artwork is for everybody and that line-waiters will receive something later (whatever that happens to be). It stands to reason that line-waiters are more likely to be buyers in the end anyway, so for that reason and a multitude of others, there's really no rush.

We have it easy - all we have to do is wait - they have to actually build something - a few hundred thousand times for openers. Yep. I'll wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Microfrost
Before we start accusing Elon of not keeping his word, consider the following: I know Elon has a reputation as a micromanager, but do you all think he's personally involved in stuffing and addressing the envelopes for tens or hundreds of thousands of these "tokens of appreciation"? I would think he assigned that task to someone else, possibly even an outside company that handles such mass mailings. If you haven't received yours yet, have you contacted your local Tesla store to see if they could take the lead and track this down for you? Have you checked your MyTesla page to verify your mailing address is correct?

Likewise, is it really such slight or affront if someone at Tesla later decided to send out these tokens to everyone who reserved a Model 3, regardless of reservation date? After all, for those of us who stood in line, was our decision to stand in line (and, in some cases, brave the elements), predicated on the promise of said gift? No, because the promise wasn't even made until we'd already stood in line. So, the gift wasn't meant as an incentive for any of us to pre-order and shouldn't be viewed as such. Why is there such a need for exclusivity? Everyone who reserved a Model 3 put down the same amount of money, regardless of when the reservation was made. I think everyone who reserved one should get this gift and, apparently, so does Tesla. And if you haven't received yours yet, then please contact your local Tesla store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy