Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what happens when Summon encounters an offset object

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive done this for a while. Ill take a video if people want to see it.

Scene: 2 car garage. 1 SUV parked on left spot.

1.I park the Tesla in the middle of the driveway to wash it.
2. I reverse the Tesla further out.
3. Summon the Tesla forward.
4. Tesla steers from middle to right prking spot in garage, parks, then shuts garage door.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and Ulmo
Ive done this for a while. Ill take a video if people want to see it.

Scene: 2 car garage. 1 SUV parked on left spot.

1.I park the Tesla in the middle of the driveway to wash it.
2. I reverse the Tesla further out.
3. Summon the Tesla forward.
4. Tesla steers from middle to right prking spot in garage, parks, then shuts garage door.

I'd love to see a video buddy......I need to get some courage!

Reactions: Buddy
Wow, this is awesome. I was wondering about that because I have to do gyrations to get out of my garage to avoid my wife's car. But I also have motorcycles in the garage that are easy to hit trying to turn to back out. I don't dare try it, but yet.... I kind of want to...

Great video demo of where the technology is right now and it can only get better.

One of the big reasons I want to have EAP when we order our Tesla - I no longer will need to put the car away in the garage for my wife after she uses the car. She can pull out okay but is afraid of backing in and hitting something.

That is excellent.... what we really need for the other direction (going into a two car garage, when it's not occupied) is a 'final location' setup. Telling it where to end up as precisely as possible. (X feet from the end wall, Y feet from the left wall, etc..). That would fix the issues with it not being 'centered' or in this case, offset, properly.

Nice, interest that once it works around the other car it develops a new straight path forward at angle instead of trying to turn left again towards its original straight line, good to know this.

I use it sometimes backing out if I can but hardly ever to pull in since we have 2 SUVs in our garage. We have to park close to the wall away from each other one pulled in (me) and other backed in (partner) so we have more space in the middle for us both to open doors.

The Tesla Summon feature just centers itself which doesn't leave the room above, makes sense. It also hates the garage wall lip where door is since sticks out another 8" or so from actual wall - scared it'll take off the mirrors even when folded on that part. :-/

Here is a video showing AP1 summon avoiding another vehicle as i mentioned a few posts earlier.

Typically i can stand in front of it so that it "avoids" me earlier and has more time to straighten out and park better.

Reason why it stop short is my summon distance setting. I have it short so it stops in the right spot in my driveway when i back it out.

Questions?

Excellent! Have you ever had any of the close calls I read about such as veering off towards an stationary object?
Also, your car looks beautiful, as good as new! ;)

Excellent! Have you ever had any of the close calls I read about such as veering off towards an stationary object?
Also, your car looks beautiful, as good as new! ;)
Thank you! It is just like it never happened (besides the memory).

Never had any close calls. I keep my hand on the fob just in case but ive never felt the need to stop it. The video i posted shows the worst parking job its ever done. Typically i use my body as an obstacle to sort of guide it into the proper position.