Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what happens when Summon encounters an offset object

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With AP1 it has always done this.

In my garage I have to purposely stand in one spot so it goes in the middle. If I don't it veers off to one side ending up parking crooked. It does this because one side is open, and the other side has a lawn mower at the far end. So it detects the lawn mower and moves over.

So I have to stand in the way to get it to center itself between me and the lawn mower.

What I like about summons is that it's capable of sub foot detection, and it parks a consistent distance from some Rubbermaid shelving I have. It's a really tight fit length wise, but it always seems to get the distance stuff right.

I've had about a 95% success rate if I stand in the right spot.

Occasionally it does some weird veering off thing where it starts ending up really crooked. Because of this I mostly stopped using it. It's handy occasionally like when washing the car, and wanting to put it back in the garage. Or getting out of a tight spot or putting it into a tight spot.

AP2 will supposedly have smart summons at some point so I imagine it's going to be significantly better, but so far I don't believe AP2 summon is any better than AP1.

Here is a video showing AP1 summon avoiding another vehicle as i mentioned a few posts earlier.

Typically i can stand in front of it so that it "avoids" me earlier and has more time to straighten out and park better.

Reason why it stop short is my summon distance setting. I have it short so it stops in the right spot in my driveway when i back it out.

Questions?
If you summon your car into the garage, when you unsummon it, it will stop in the same position it was before the original summon, as long as it is less than the maximum distance setting. So if you normally summon into your garage, there is no need to set the summon distance.

If you summon your car into the garage, when you unsummon it, it will stop in the same position it was before the original summon, as long as it is less than the maximum distance setting. So if you normally summon into your garage, there is no need to set the summon distance.

What was happening to me was my car would back out of the garage, into the driveway, and keep going into the street the maximum 40ft.

I changed the summon distance to 21ft and now it stops just past the garage door.

The first day I used summon when the AP2 cars received the initial download was excellent. I went in and out of my garage at least 10 times each. There is a Polaris Slingshot to the right in my garage that is oddly shaped and it was handled perfectly.

Of course, I went to show one of my friends how great it worked a few days later attempting to summons into the garage from park (right outside the door). It got maybe 30% inside and then turned the wheel hard left to the point where I felt uncomfortable with the closeness to the 8" lip entering the garage so I aborted. I had to enter on the passenger side to back the car out as it was so close to the drivers side door. Scared me half to death.

I wonder if it would have corrected itself but I would think not since that would have required backing out and straightening back up.