Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what Tesla collects in an accident on ap2+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
None of the other subforums seem fitting, so I'll place it here.

First of all, be safe and I hope you'll never have any need to get a footage like that from your car!

We already discussed a bit of what data Tesla is collecting from all cars at all times here: Data sharing and privacy - what's actually collected?

Now by some luck I came into procession of two autopilot units from crashed cars (pretty old firmwares).

The one with 17.24.28 crashed on July 13, 2017. It was a fully loaded P100D with whopping almost 279 miles on the odometer VIN 1881XX, somewhere in Connecticut. Back then the "crash" snapshot only included 5 cameras: main, narrow, fishseye and pillars at 1fps only plus the candata snapshot. Does not look too much different from what we have seen on AP1 units (other than there are more cameras).

I used our tools to overlay candata on these frames and make a simple animated gif, I guess it was raining at the time of the accident which contributed some to the loss of traction (?):

giphy.gif

The car was badly damaged as you can imagine:

tesla1.JPG

The other one is 2016 a model S P100D or P90D that crashed on Oct 25, 2017 somewhere in Florida. VIN 1713XX.
It's a very puzzling crash, as it happened just ~1.5 minutes after the car was started and the driver lost traction on a narrow backroad hitting some trees at ~80mph after losing traction at 90mph doing a turn while trying to show off the acceleration speed or some such?

The video starts with the car at ~30mph and the accelerator fully pressed and the car keeps going until 90mph where the unfortunate turn seems to throw it off road. The car was already on 17.36 that started to incorporate gorgeous 30fps footage for narrow and main cams in addition to 1fps footage for 7 cams (every one but backup) + the can data, of course, so we can see what was going on in the last ~minute of this car's life.

See for yourself:
main-cr2 - Streamable

The damage to this car is also pretty insane and I am not sure why.
tesla2-1.jpg tesla2-2.jpg tesla2-3.jpg

It also looks like this car was never connected to wifi so it accumulated quite a bit of other random footage including some carwash(?) footage with a Landrover in front of it in May 2017:

main-u - Streamable

Needless to say you cannot get access to this data if you just use the Tesla-provided kit to pull just tiny bits of data from the blackbox Tesla releases new tool for people to retrieve ‘blackbox data’ after a crash - but the autopilot computer stores vastly more stuff.

I am also adding the other cams, though there's nothing super interesting there in those instances, just for completeness:

For first crash: crash1

For second crash (more cams - looks like there was another car just before the crash?): crash2

A dark Tahoe that they're rushing away from at high speeds. I wonder if he was trying to run from the police? I don't see any lights lit, but it's a typical sort of car for them.

They clearly didn't look at the turn as it came up - they never even tried to turn enough from what I see. If he's looking back and distracted, that might do it.

Impressive amounts of data in the later firmware versions. Should make figuring out what happened/who's at fault a snap for most any crash if it's made available.

Update here. I got my hands on Tesla Model 3 crash data from a relatively recent firmware (think Summer 2018). The most pressing question I had was about selfie cam present in the data and at least on v8 selfie cam is not part of the snapshot. At least on that particular car the selfie cam appears to be completely uninitialized.

• Informative
Reactions: phtp and lunitiks