Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Teslas are totaled so easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days back a truck turned in front of me in traffic and dragged the side of his vehicle over the front of mine, ripping off my bumper cover, denting my fender and doing other minor damage. It wasn't the end of the world. I zip tied the bumper back on the car and was on my way.

IMG_5709.JPG

Today I went to get a quote from a Tesla certified body shop. The quote came back as... wait for it.... $10,900. Eleven THOUSAND dollars. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap but $11,000? Holy hell. Knowing Tesla's body repair parts are some of the cheapest in the industry I inquired as to where the cost was coming from and was told that because it's a Model S it's considered exotic. He also gave me a song and dance about it being aluminum and that costing more but my car needs no sheetmetal repair. It just needs one fender removed and another bolted on. It's not like they're welding in a new quarter panel.

To qualify the following statements I should note that I've owned two performance companies, am intimately familiar with the workings of cars in general and have owned a salvage Tesla which afforded me the opportunity to get to see many of the bits that most don't. With respect to this kind of damage, the S is a car like any other. My car needs the following:

Bumper cover ($400 new)
Parking sensor harness ($100)
Driver's side fender ($300)
Lower valance
Radiator Support (could actually get by without replacing this)
2 x parking sensors

On the used market I could pick up everything for about $1000, pay a shop $700 to paint it and have it looking like new and I'm not even in the body repair industry. All the parts in need of replacement are simple to remove and re-install. This would not be a half assed repair. Since we've now got years of used Teslas around, one could theoretically find used, same color body panels and skip the paint work altogether, potentially getting out the door for a full repair at a cost of about $1000. Would the panels match exactly? LIkely they'd be close enough, depending on the environment the donor car was in, that all but the most discerning of people wouldn't be able to pick out a difference in the shade of color.

I say this because the topic of salvage cars has come up here before and a lot of people have taken the hard line approach that if a car is salvaged it's junk. Here's a minor accident with an $11,000 price tag that could realistically be fixed for a 5th of the first repair estimate. It's no wonder we're seeing a sudden influx of salvage Teslas.

Attachments

• IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Very cool that you have had a salvaged Tesla before and played with it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well tesla certified body shops do financially? Are they making good profit on average? How do they compare to other body shops?

I have wondered the same thing myself. My Tesla is on order to arrive next month and I need to have some minor bodywork done on my Audi. The guy at the auto body shop who did the estimate for my car mentioned that the parts to repair a Tesla are not that expensive compared to the cost of parts for my Audi but the cost to repair a Tesla gets massively inflated. Does anyone have a concrete/definitive answer for why there is such a huge markup? I would hope that the perception that it is an "exotic" isn't enough of a reason to artificially inflate the price. I realize that there is additional equipment and certification necessary to be given the Tesla stamp of approval as an auto body shop but I would assume that some of these costs would come down as the Model 3 rolls out and there are more Teslas on the road.

The shop provided correct information. The repair is $2K, +$9K exotic car surcharge. You know, to hire a mechanic who won't take it for joyride, insure it while at the shop, and just because they can. ;)

My father always told me, car mechanics and dentists, you should always get more than one estimate and if you can find one you trust, you stick with them. Both professions have the opportunity to drain you and/or your insurance company of thousands of dollars for work that is not needed or sometimes not even done. Now, I since learned more about cars to be able to tell when I am being robbed blind, but for dentists, I just have a guy I've trusted for the last 16 years - dreading the day he retires.

PS) replacing the front bumper skin can be done in few hours max, and it's plastic, not aluminum. I've dropped mine and put it back on a couple of times (installing and adjusting radar detector and laser jammers) and managed to do it in less than 3 hrs, including installing extra hardware under the bumper - and I am not a car mechanic by any means, nor do I have the professional garage or tools to do it.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Model 3 getting the same Exotic treatment by these scam artists who pose as repair shops? I bet they keep the same attitude about the lower priced Model 3 due to either parts shortages, or even "it's a Tesla". I worry about the first year of Model 3 owners experiences due to minor fender benders.

Thoughts on the Model 3 getting the same Exotic treatment by these scam artists who pose as repair shops? I bet they keep the same attitude about the lower priced Model 3 due to either parts shortages, or even "it's a Tesla". I worry about the first year of Model 3 owners experiences due to minor fender benders.

Soon Model 3 will be as exotic as Toyta Corolla.

Can you post the detailed estimate of what they are doing for the $11k?

Does anyone have a concrete/definitive answer for why there is such a huge markup?
Because of Tesla's Approved Body Shop only monopoly nonsense, the few approved body shops can basically charge whatever they want. Plus since most owners are going through insurance anyway, they don't care what it costs.

I suggest to make Tesla aware of this.

I think Tesla are catching on quickly to excessive repair costs and know this is damaging the brand and hiking insurance costs which the ICE lobby are using negatively against Tesla to hit sales.
I agree. The price quote described by the OP sounds outrageous. Tell Tesla about it.

Reactions: scottf200
<snip>
Today I went to get a quote from a Tesla certified body shop. The quote came back as... wait for it.... $10,900. Eleven THOUSAND dollars. I wasn't expecting it to be cheap but $11,000? Holy hell. Knowing Tesla's body repair parts are some of the cheapest in the industry I inquired as to where the cost was coming from and was told that because it's a Model S it's considered exotic.

Get a hold of tesla body shop support. They need to be aware of all these types of shops and hold their feet to the fire or remove them from certified Tesla repair shops!

Body Shop Support

For support with your Tesla at a Body Shop, please call 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4) to speak with a Body Shop Customer Advocate. You can also reach us by email at: [email protected]. Please reference your VIN and which Body Shop you are working with so we can promptly assist.

Earlier there was a big thread on this, and @JonMc chimed in promising to take core steps and make the repair situation better.
I also know that if you get comparative pricing from multiple Tesla repair shops, you get varying estimates. So you should probably do that.

11K seems high, but I'm no repair expert. It's high as in .. a faucet in your house is leaking, plumber comes in and says that'll cost $5K to fix. Some things should never cost as much! No matter how awesome that faucet is.

Wishing you the best!

The damage does not look extensive so 11K may be a little high. I had some front bumper damage and some grill damage on a low end Lexus HS250H, and it came to almost 10K (9.7K) after all was said and done. I also had some undercarriage damage that would require a little more work, but that is comparing a 50K car to a 90K car. So yeah, maybe a bit high, but not exorbitant.