Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This isn't good - charging rate increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You call that a "dramatic" increase? So what, now Supercharging is only twice as cheap as gas instead of 3 times? Come on, if that is what it takes to maintain the system then this is a good move. Just like the layoffs. I see this as a good thing. It helps ensure the viability and profitability of the company for the long term. Electrek has been getting more and more sensationalizing against Tesla recently for whatever reason and are seeing everything in a negative light. I see this as a non issue with only short term negative value and much more positive value in the long run.

Dan

It’s speed is relative to charging in other manners.

Right now, recharging is an aspect that an EV has that is less convenient than refueling a gasmobile. Owning one is choosing to accept that for the time being just like buying a tiny econobox or Prius saves fuel, but has very little performance appeal. Take your pick.

It’s speed is relative to charging in other manners.

Right now, recharging is an aspect that an EV has that is less convenient than refueling a gasmobile. Owning one is choosing to accept that for the time being just like buying a tiny econobox or Prius saves fuel, but has very little performance appeal. Take your pick.
While I understand what you're saying, I would argue that charging a Tesla on average is FAR faster than fueling an ICE car. In the three months and 3000 miles I have owned my Model 3, I have spent exactly 15 minutes Supercharging, and that was only to say I had done it. How much time would an ICE car spend refueling to travel 3000 miles? What percentage of most people's driving takes them past the range limits of the car? When Chevrolet was researching driving habits in order to determine an acceptable range for the Volt they found that 80% of Americans drive less than 40 miles per day on average. I am averaging 312 miles of range.

We are simply asking the wrong questions.

Dan

Dan, I was going to mention that I spend very little time refueling because I charge at home 95% of the time, also, but I didn’t. You get it.

EVs are just a huge paradigm shift and have to be experienced. I happen to be sick of oil changes, oil leaks, brake jobs, replacing exhaust systems, failing idler arms and worn belts, blah blah blah, that I am willing to take the good with the bad. There’s a lot of good offsetting a lot of bad.

While I understand what you're saying, I would argue that charging a Tesla on average is FAR faster than fueling an ICE car. In the three months and 3000 miles I have owned my Model 3, I have spent exactly 15 minutes Supercharging, and that was only to say I had done it. How much time would an ICE car spend refueling to travel 3000 miles? What percentage of most people's driving takes them past the range limits of the car? When Chevrolet was researching driving habits in order to determine an acceptable range for the Volt they found that 80% of Americans drive less than 40 miles per day on average. I am averaging 312 miles of range.

We are simply asking the wrong questions.

Dan
@Eclectic curious what exactly you are disagreeing with. My own experience? Chevrolet's research?

Dan

@Eclectic curious what exactly you are disagreeing with. My own experience? Chevrolet's research?

Dan

You're not counting the time it takes to plug in/unplug every day. When I owned a Tesla I had to back into my garage to plug in and then remember to plug in and unlplug. Maybe a minute a day at most, right? Yet that's up to 7 minutes a week, and it takes about 5 minutes to fuel an ICE car, which you I do once every week and a half or so for my VW Rabbit.

You're not counting the time it takes to plug in/unplug every day. When I owned a Tesla I had to back into my garage to plug in and then remember to plug in and unlplug. Maybe a minute a day at most, right? Yet that's up to 7 minutes a week, and it takes about 5 minutes to fuel an ICE car, which you I do once every week and a half or so for my VW Rabbit.
Well, if you want to do that then add about 7 seconds a day to my numbers...my bad. lol

Dan

You asked why I disagreed...and I disagree with your 7 second a day figure as well. There are plenty of reasons to like EVs, but I don't think fuelling time savings is a really compelling (or accurate) point.
Well, I'm here to tell you it takes me exactly 3.5 seconds to plug in at night and unplug in the morning. I timed it. Having gassed up cars from the time I was 10 until the time I got my Model 3 (45 years) I'm here to tell you that refueling is most definitely an accurate reason to like EVs when taken in its entirety.

Dan

You asked why I disagreed...and I disagree with your 7 second a day figure as well. There are plenty of reasons to like EVs, but I don't think fuelling time savings is a really compelling (or accurate) point.
We hate having to go get gas in our ICE car. It's a big reason we're looking forward to getting rid of it. Having to go out of our way to get to the station is really annoying, and with a couple of extra traffic lights it really adds to the aggravation. That, versus walking past the rear of the car and moving the plug from the wall to the port on the way into the house... no contest.

Reactions: GSP and Unpilot
You must be kidding?

I suppose you never shared a car in winter and leave the house at 7AM to go to work and discover you need to get gas. With my EV cars I never experience that. Every day leave the house fully charged.

Reactions: Darren F and GSP
We hate having to go get gas in our ICE car. It's a big reason we're looking forward to getting rid of it. Having to go out of our way to get to the station is really annoying, and with a couple of extra traffic lights it really adds to the aggravation. That, versus walking past the rear of the car and moving the plug from the wall to the port on the way into the house... no contest.

I haven't been in Spring, TX, but pretty much everywhere else has gas stations on every major street. If you have to do anything more than pull into a gas station, you're not doing it right. Personally, I'd rather take 5 minutes once every week and a half on my way to the office to fill up the car than have to bother with plugging in/unplugging/backing into the garage every day.

Again, though, the point is that if you're trying to sell someone on EVs based on the time it takes to refuel vs. ICE, you're going to lose that argument.

I haven't been in Spring, TX, but pretty much everywhere else has gas stations on every major street. If you have to do anything more than pull into a gas station, you're not doing it right. Personally, I'd rather take 5 minutes once every week and a half on my way to the office to fill up the car than have to bother with plugging in/unplugging/backing into the garage every day.

Again, though, the point is that if you're trying to sell someone on EVs based on the time it takes to refuel vs. ICE, you're going to lose that argument.
Maybe, I don't know. I took my house remodeling guy for a test drive. Afterward, I handed him the charge cable and told him to press the dot. The charge port opened and he gave me an "Oh, come on!" look. I told him to plug it in, and that I never have to go to a gas station again. He bought a CPO S85 a few months later. Maybe it mattered a little, maybe not.
I do get your point, though, honestly. It's down to personal preference, I think.

Reactions: arcus
have to bother with plugging in/unplugging/backing into the garage every day.

Lol. You have to back up at some point right? What difference does it make if you back in vs. back out of your garage. Also, most people don't need to plugin everyday. I plug in about every 3 days and it takes about 5 seconds to do so.
5 seconds to plug in, 5 seconds to unplug, twice per week, comes out to ~20 seconds per week of my time. (What a hassle?) /s

Maybe, I don't know. I took my house remodeling guy for a test drive. Afterward, I handed him the charge cable and told him to press the dot. The charge port opened and he gave me an "Oh, come on!" look. I told him to plug it in, and that I never have to go to a gas station again. He bought a CPO S85 a few months later. Maybe it mattered a little, maybe not.
I do get your point, though, honestly. It's down to personal preference, I think.

Exactly. There are so many real benefits to EVs that glomming onto refueling times seems silly. That was why I disagreed with the post that started this detour.

Reactions: kavyboy
Exactly. There are so many real benefits to EVs that glomming onto refueling times seems silly. That was why I disagreed with the post that started this detour.
Not a detour at all. A matter of false perception. There is NOTHING more convenient than refueling at your own home while you sleep. We have convinced ourselves that taking time out of our day, no matter how long, stopping at a location we would not have gone if not for the need, no matter how close, and claim it to be superior.

We've bought into our own self deception.

Dan

I would argue that charging a Tesla on average is FAR faster than fueling an ICE car. In the three months and 3000 miles I have owned my Model 3, I have spent exactly 15 minutes Supercharging, and that was only to say I had done it. How much time would an ICE car spend refueling to travel 3000 miles?

Dan

Not a detour at all. A matter of false perception. There is NOTHING more convenient than refueling at your own home while you sleep. We have convinced ourselves that taking time out of our day, no matter how long, stopping at a location we would not have gone if not for the need, no matter how close, and claim it to be superior.

We've bought into our own self deception.

Dan

While I get the idea in the garage. Great sell to most in daily routines. Starting off fresh everyday is quite a nice feeling.

Driving 3000 miles on a cross country roadtrip as a different view of a use case. Charging is not ideal unless you have significant time on your hands. Taking the scenic route. Not complaining as I do it often. I find this is the other question when I talk to ICE owners. How can I travel? I don't want to have just an in town car. I want to be able to drop all and go anywhere without thinking. Even though I might only do that twice or 3 times a year.

So here is my personal use example.

3.65 hours of charging
1135 miles driven in a 24 hour period

Can't imagine it would take 3.65 hours to put all that gas in an ICE.

So let's call it three hours of charging for every thousand miles in a EV.

9 hours of charging to go 3000 miles. That is being very generous to an EV.

So if you have an olympic swimming pool bladder you can go pretty far in an ICE with NASCAR style pit stops.

While not your original point on the 3000 miles Dan. Just a different view that also presents a few different feelings amongst travelers. If V3 SC's can cut that time 30-40% it would be nice. Then I might lose my naps or jogging at superchargers because of idle fees.

I guess what I am saying. The garage story is just half the story. People need to understand the rest. It isn't really that bad. I travel much more comfortably in the SC stop method more frequent than hitting gas stations and taking a nap at a rest area.