Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This jerk still can get higher Amps after interrupts others charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerk in Yoho Mall, Yuen Long!

Attachments

• Jerk.jpeg
    Jerk.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 214
It only works if he parks right next to you in a paired stall, e.g. you are in a1 and he is in 1b. If he is in 1b and you are in 2a it doesn't make a difference. Also if you are already mostly charged it won't make a difference (because your charge is already tapering)...

Pairs of stalls (the units that drivers plug into their cars) share the same supercharger unit (you can see a couple of these large white boxes top left in the photo)

So stalls 1a and 1b link to supercharger 1; stalls 2a and 2b link to supercharger 2 etc.

If you're plugged into and already charging from 1a and someone else plugs into 1b then their charging rate in kW can only ramp up as the charging rate of your car throttles back. The total rate is set by the supercharger e.g. 120kW.

In the photo, you're plugged into (say) 2a then it looks like he's plugged into 3b, so you are each running off completely different superchargers. And even if you shared the same supercharger unit, as you were the first car to connect, your charge rate would be unaffected.

The guy may still be a jerk, but there's insufficient evidence from this photo ;)

According to this page, there are only four SC stalls there:

Yoho Mall Supercharger | Tesla

So even if they are numbered: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B or 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B the two cars parked there are not sharing a supercharger cabinet or power.

It is possible though that the "jerk" hit the SC handle button on the OP's car to interrupt the charging momentarily, thinking that he would then be getting the full charge/power to his car. The OP would get a message popup on their app saying SC stopped and then restarted.

Although I haven’t experienced this issue recently. But I did receive charging interrupted and stopped msg while charging at Hopewell a couple of times in the past. The last time being may be a year and half ago.

Initially I didn’t think much of this, but retrospectively, these were most likely due to similiar JERK behaviors. I hope if they ever get caught, Tesla should ban their cars from SC access.