TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

This may be why we are not getting VINs?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by firelegend, May 18, 2018.

1. firelegend

firelegend Member

"We are working on a new system and the VIN no longer will be on Tesla’s Accounts until 7 days before delivery. However, since yours appointment is tomorrow, this seems like a system glitch. Your VIN is still in our internal system so no worries.

I am going to reach to the appropriate department to get this fixed.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention."

email extract from my ISA

I read this on the tesla website forums... maybe this is a new thing they are doing. Ideas? It was confirmed by two people being told that by ISA's.

2. Dr Gez

Dr Gez Member

I am still shocked they changed this - when I custom ordered my Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, I got my VIN shortly after ordering and 4-5 weeks before delivery. It made shopping for insurance, bank loans, etc a lot easier. This 7 day rule is ridiculous - my insurance broker said they will not even give me any firm quotes without a VIN

3. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I've read a few cases on this forum where people claimed their VINs were sold to someone else and had to wait longer for delivery. I wonder if this has to do with it.

• Like x 1
  4. firelegend

firelegend Member

Ah interesting.

5. Dr Gez

Dr Gez Member

I suspect it is to allow them flexibility to make delivery changes as needed. For example I got my VIN as part of the bid batch for May 15 and May 16 - I have a bad feeling that they decided to divert those cars elsewhere since there has been no email from Tesla - if I didn't have a VIN I would never have known. Pure speculation on my part but I have a bad feeling this means further delays for those of us in the May 15/16 VIN batch in Ontario

• Like x 1
  6. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

This is a good theory, but I'm in Texas. I have to pay for the car completely before they will even ship it. I need the VIN way before a week from delivery. So this solution doesn't work for everyone.

TM

7. Dr Gez

Dr Gez Member

I honestly don't know what they're thinking. There are so many of these differences in states, province requirements and for them to want to withhold a VIN - makes no sense. It almost feels a bit shady.

8. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

If this is the actual plan, it is a bit odd for sure. Could just be what the CS people were told to say? I don't know. Again, for Texans there is no delivery until you get a VIN and pay them, so it can't be the final solution. At least that's what I tell myself...

TM

9. geoffreak

geoffreak Driving My Model 3

I've been hearing (including directly from Tesla), that they are shipping cars prior to payment in Texas. You just won't get a delivery date assigned until payment.

10. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

That's cool if it's true. I still find it hard to believe they'd only give their customers a 7-day notice to secure a loan, deal with insurance, sell an old car, etc. To be fair, I've taken care of all of that already. I'm driving a borrowed 2007 Toyota Yaris until I get my car. The good thing is that a month or so of the Yaris will really give me a sense of appreciation for the Tesla.

TM

11. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

The following was in the email I received when my ISA first contacted me on the 2nd, complete with the yellow highlighting. Payment went through earlier this week, delivery's for the 30th, so it's definitely not already in Texas.

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 5.29.21 PM.png

12. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Once the delivery dates set, you can ask your ISA send you a Pro-Forma invoice, that includes your VIN

13. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I'm intrigued by that "fully funded" bit.
    Technically its fully funded if the check in shipped, so they could release then, assuming they have a tracking number.