TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

This might seem silly, but how do you think window tinting will work on the Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jj547, Nov 6, 2016.

1. jj547

jj547 Member

After looking at the latest pics from the Family and Friends event, the prototype Model 3 now has it's rear windshield tinted halfway to mimic a traditional car's roof, as seen below:[​IMG]

And if this specific tint makes to production, then how do you think it will affect those who wish to get aftermarket tints to their rear windows?

If a tint is applied to the non-tinted lower half of the rear glass, then wouldn't there be an awkward seam between the factory tinted section and the aftermarket tinted section? It would also be more awkward if the aftermarket tint's darkness doesn't exactly match the factory tint.

I was kinda hoping the production Model 3 would just come with factory tints (or be optional) for all rear windows just like the Model X and the matte black Model 3 prototype so that the challenge of getting an aftermarket tint to seamlessly blend on the rear windshield could be avoided.

What do you guys think?

2. X-Auto

X-Auto Member

Yes, stock tinting should work, also there should be no aftermarket tinting experimented as the glass is already UV/IR protected, might temper things with unqualified ppl working on the machine !

3. Jayc

Jayc Member

#3 Jayc, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Actually, I very much like what they have done to with the darkened glass. Just don't think of it as a tint - that should do the trick :) Note that this is just the top section of the glass made opaque similar to what a solid roof would do. Not all of us want or like the rear passengers sitting underneath a clear glass "display" and if that is an option, then perfectly fine but it is not in Model 3.

If you then want to do you own tint, that should not be a problem because all you do is apply the tint (internally) to the entire glass to extend to the factory darkened section. Only limitation might be that you will have to match tint shade.

• Like x 1
  4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I may still tint my windows, but not touch the back. In MA, we're allowed 35%, whether it comes from OEM or aftermarket.

The place I used for my Audi does a quality job, and when I brought my Audi in, there was a Model S, a Maserati, and a Murcielago in the bays, so I think they'll be able to tint 4 Model 3 windows for me.

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Shouldn't be an issue tinting. The glass is dye-tinted from the manufacturer, not a film applied tint, there won't be a "seam" unless you stop the tint halfway through. This is similar to the Model X windshield where the top half is tinted. Let's not confuse "tinted" with IR rejection. It's tinted to reduce glare and provide privacy, but could still benefit from IR rejecting tint to keep the car cooler.

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Every time I see views from the top makes me think of all the wasted space there is at the back. I don't mind having trunk instead of hatch design, but seems like design could have been much better with the shelf area. Guess we will see how it looks come production.

• Like x 1
  7. jj547

jj547 Member

But if the darkened tint film is applied to the entire rear windshield, it would make the factory tinted section appear more opaque compared to the non-factory tinted section, right? It would ruin the aesthetic of having a single shade of tint applied by now having 2 different shades of tint.

8. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

The current aesthetic is already 2 shades of tint. The darkened roof glass tint fades to clear glass for the rear window. Applying a tint on top of that would simply make that transition less noticeable (from the outside). The dark tint would simply transition to darker tint.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I think if they are going to tint it, it should be same tint across the whole thing, just like the X and traditional SUVs. With all that glass back there, it needs to block out as much UV as possible or will let too much heat in. Maybe that is an X windshield put in backwards? :p Seriously though, seems odd that the top of the back glass is tinted even more than the glass over the driver/passenger area.

10. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

OP: Well.

• Funny x 1
  11. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

In the section of glass that fades from clear to dark, the fade will just begin from a darker level once aftermarket tint is applied and the gradient will be quicker. I think it'll be barely noticeable even to people who know what they're looking for.

12. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

SUVs and vans have different rules for darkened windows in most places.

it's a prototype... You think they would sell it with the rear window tinted and the center section totally clear?

13. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I'm certain that part will be tinted. But for now it's not because of display purposes.

14. Trips

Trips Member

I am still betting on Electrochromic glass.

You should be able to adjust the light penetration just like the air conditioning. When you are not in the car it could go solid, while driving during the day 35% light penetration. Same goes on a sunny cold day when you park the car, it could be set to 100% so the car stays warmer.

• Love x 1
  15. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

That would definitely be cool, but cost is a concern for a feature like that. Not only how that could affect the purchase price, but would that make replacing the panel super expensive as well?

16. Big-T

Big-T Member

It's a big concern for me. I don't want the sun glaring down on me in the summer all the time like I see on the model X videos I've seen. I would need to have some sort of pull down shade (like every other sunroof manufacturer does) or the Electrochromic glass would be even better - but I can't have nothing and get a glass roof.

17. raysspl

raysspl Member

WIll definitely do limo style tint