Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Model S 40kwh Price is crazy..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty common for the lower spec cars I've seen on dealer lots.

I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing since it seems like 75% of the Teslas I see with shaved battery size badges are low end cars on dealer lots. Basically they're trying to prey on people who don't know much about the cars or the differences in trim levels. Especially in the Midwest you don't see many of these cars.

It might not even be them who shaved the badges. It wouldn't surprise me to see people doing this to get more at dealer auction since some of those buyers also are likely ignorant of the range of batteries available.

7.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl and TJtv
This is pretty common for the lower spec cars I've seen on dealer lots.

I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing since it seems like 75% of the Teslas I see with shaved battery size badges are low end cars on dealer lots. Basically they're trying to prey on people who don't know much about the cars or the differences in trim levels. Especially in the Midwest you don't see many of these cars.

It might not even be them who shaved the badges. It wouldn't surprise me to see people doing this to get more at dealer auction since some of those buyers also are likely ignorant of the range of batteries available.

I doubt it, especially with Tesla where the badge appears prominently right on the instrument cluster, and in the About popup. In my experience I find that more people think others shave badges than people who actually do it. Those who do remove badges most often do it because they prefer the cleaner look. Personally I shaved the badges (both Model S and battery size) from all 4 of our Teslas, and one of them was the lowest model (S60), one was the highest flagship model at the time (P85D). I also deleted red calipers from the P85D order too - all to get a look I happen to like, not for fool anyone. When I see people painting their calipers red, I assume it's because they like the look rather than to pretend they have a more expensive model.

The early production Model S cars did not have badges. As I recall the badge for our 2012 S P85 was added at the Service Center a few months after delivery.
What he said. There was a very short window between badges becoming available (March 2013) and the 40 being discontinued (April 2013), so odds are that any given 40 kWh Model S will not have a badge.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Gotta love the guy that disagreed w/my reply. :rolleyes:I guess he doesn't know the proper units to express battery capacity.
Or maybe they simply expressed their dislike for a pretentious, know-it-all response nit picking facts irrelevant to the thread topic. This is not an engineering spec, or a legal document, this is an enthusiast forum. With Tesla batteries, saying 60KW or 85KW doesn't create any ambiguity since all batteries have much higher maximum power (KW) and Tesla doesn't officially spec their power either. Everyone knows that when referring to an "85KW battery" people mean 85KWh labeled batteries (and yes, I said labeled because Tesla has very optimistic marketing, if you wanted to nit pick you should say 81KWh battery instead of 85KWh, since that battery is actually an 81KWh battery with 77KWh usable due to the 4KWh anti-brick buffer - either way it is not 85KWh).

PS> Since you like nit picking, don't you wish people would start using the correct pronouns and avoid using "w/" instead of "with "?
Gotta love the guy that who disagreed with /my reply.

Last edited:
If you are considering a Tesla from a dealer, think again. You lose any chance at an extended warranty and they usually know nothing about the car.
Just a little insite. I live in Indianlolis, and someone at Tesla recently told me a story of a dealer asking to charge a used Tesla they had for sale. Of course, Tesla obliged. It charged super quickly on a destination charger, and Tesla noted it was a rare 40 kWh (that’s for you @cwerdna) pack. The dealer had no idea, when Tesla told them (which means they overpaid due to their lack of knowledge).
The same employee also told me a story of a dealer selling a car that was noted as a lemon in Tesla’s service records.
I would stick to CPOs from Tesla, they are the best deal right now and the prices are at an all time low, plus you get the safety of up to a 4 yr/ 50k mile warranty on a high tech car that WILL have some problems.

PS that price is a joke. I bought a CPO 2014 MS 60 with AP1 for $49k 7 months ago BEFORE the MS prices dropped.

Here is a much better deal.
$42,800, Tesla MS 60, CPO, low mileage
60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG2DFP21626 | Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeshkra