Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This new UI sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't installed the new download and reading these threads ... I'm dreading it
I haven't installed V11 yet because my car is at a body shop all this time, but I fully intend on installing it once I get my car back after reading several threads (mostly complaints) and watching a few fairly in-depth videos on it. I see good and bad on this update from what I could gather, but my attitude is that if I don't personally find it a big step back, and as far as I can tell I think V11 will be fine for me, I'm happy to get a new UI every once in a while. I don't mind learning a new UI any more than I would have to learn where everything is in a new car.

I would suggest doing some more research on V11 and if you think you'll hate it, just hold off on installing as long as you can.

While ones enjoyment, ease and user experience MIGHT be better on a prior version of the software (v10 in this case) I would NOT recommend NOT updating as long as one can.. you're going to have to move on at some point and underneath the obvious UI / UX elements that we've all noted here as in some cases, dysfunctional and a regression, there are many underlying SW and possibly FW updates that one should really try and move up to. It's a hard move for some for sure, but there is no escaping it. Pick a time when its easier to digest and get comfortable with, and probably just do it. (tm)

Reactions: DanDi58
Ii don't know about Netflix, but you can play Solitaire while the car is moving ... at least your passenger can. Or to be more accurate, someone who says they are the pax (on a popup) can do it - and for the record NO I do not and will not play solitaire when I'm driving
No, you can't do this any more. You USED to be able to play solitaire and polytopia (maybe some others) while driving if you said you were a passenger -- they removed this in V11 after the NHTSA filed a complaint.

I wonder though why the ability to just swipe UP from the bottom of the main screen, at least on the RIGHT side of the screen doesn’t just pull of that media console anymore? Now all it brings up in the HVAC/AC/TEMP main interface. When what I’d really like to do is just pull up the media interface and change the channel? Or easily switch to Spotify, or back to TuneIN for some news radio. Doesn’t make sense that this would be changed for the better?
I believe the media player opens up if you tap on it (not in car at the moment to confirm, but pretty sure). Why not put Spotify and TuneIN as your apps at the bottom, then you can simply tap them to switch. I do exactly that with Tidal and bluetooth audio, works really well.

I believe the media player opens up if you tap on it (not in car at the moment to confirm, but pretty sure). Why not put Spotify and TuneIN as your apps at the bottom, then you can simply tap them to switch. I do exactly that with Tidal and bluetooth audio, works really well.
but, technically there is no longer a "media player" button.. there is a spotify button, a Bluetooth phone connection button, a tunein button, etc..but last state media player I have not seen.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Everything is now under the orange 'Streaming' icon - streaming, BT and radio. There are also separate icons for some of those items.
Yes, but sadly it doesn’t pull up current state, current selection so it’s even MORE button/screen presses just to get to the same thing. I guess we all probably just use 1 or 2, and will put them in the configurable bar in the middle, but that ends up being 50% of the usable configurable buttons, JUST for this. 3 step backwards if you ask me.

Reactions: sleepydoc
They log usage of everything… it’s all based on stats and seems they found that out of all the Teslas on the road today that these were in fact the most useful and essential features to keep on the main screen with the push toward more automation. It’s not a clear step back when more are in favor of it than not… but it’s a step back for you and what you like, and that’s unfortunate.
I wonder then why they kept the speed and clock always on? Is it also stats on the number of times people are looking at them? Or how often they are speeding?

• Funny
Reactions: Tezlowski
So I own MY since April 21.
And it is the best car I own so far.
I actually like gadgets a lot and Tesla constantly tweaks it’s interface. So MY constantly feels new to me.
While Toyota and Honda will be stuck with whatever there was there when you bought it.
I like most of the new interface, like blind spot camera, ability to sort apps that are important to me. I wish I just could add one more. I actually like the look of it as well.
I miss ability to get to trips or Tire pressure. But I like to see all the trips listed instead of sorting through it to the last one I want to see. In a way less clicks for me 😀
So it is give and take. But main point - you may hate what you have now and v12 would be awesome.
Again with Tesla I have confidence it will be improved.

I have started the Porsche Taycan configuration I hate the UI so much.

So I own MY since April 21.
And it is the best car I own so far.
I actually like gadgets a lot and Tesla constantly tweaks it’s interface. So MY constantly feels new to me.
While Toyota and Honda will be stuck with whatever there was there when you bought it.
I like most of the new interface, like blind spot camera, ability to sort apps that are important to me. I wish I just could add one more. I actually like the look of it as well.
I miss ability to get to trips or Tire pressure. But I like to see all the trips listed instead of sorting through it to the last one I want to see. In a way less clicks for me 😀
So it is give and take. But main point - you may hate what you have now and v12 would be awesome.
Again with Tesla I have confidence it will be improved.
Let's hope so, wouldn't hold your breath tho bud.

No, you can't do this any more. You USED to be able to play solitaire and polytopia (maybe some others) while driving if you said you were a passenger -- they removed this in V11 after the NHTSA filed a complaint.
I can't disagree with this. You shouldn't play games while driving and there are enough idiots out there that will and do. Turning the games off while driving is the safest option. If your passenger wants to play a game they can use their phone or an iPad.
Yes, but sadly it doesn’t pull up current state, current selection so it’s even MORE button/screen presses just to get to the same thing. I guess we all probably just use 1 or 2, and will put them in the configurable bar in the middle, but that ends up being 50% of the usable configurable buttons, JUST for this. 3 step backwards if you ask me.
Yes - I found the previous audio/media player button much easier to use. Even after using the current configuration for 3 weeks it's clumsy and poorly laid out. But hey, we got Sonic, right?

Ignoring decades of UI development is not R&D; it is ignorance. There is a huge body of knowledge in the space and ton of really good experts in UI design. I am sure they could afford to hire some.
Using telemetry to drive critical systems controls is plain dumb. How often do pilots use the eject lever? By that logic it should be removed (aerospace know how to do human-centric UI). UI for a mass produced object is not based on a narrow segment of the users. Instead of focusing on the fat part of the bell curve, design starts with the edge cases and then covers the rest. So, “it works for me” is not a valid argument; it should work satisfactory for the vast majority of users. That is what good UI design does - gives you options. I doubt they have done any scenarios design or usability testing. Yes, this thing might have been in the wild for a few months but what % of the overall population are the refreshed S/X? Definitely not representative of the population. May be Tesla does not care of the existing users after they buy the car? That is (somewhat) OK but why would they force the update to them? A lot of them would be happy with V10 (with its problems) for the rest of the car’s life instead of V11. Give them an option.
Until the automation is better than the human we must have an easy way to override it. Automation in Tesla is not better than human (fantom braking) and, in some cases (windshield wipers, high/low beams), worse than other manufacturers. In some cases, like seat warmers, it will never be better because it cannot read my mind (yet).
Voice controls are an interesting gimmick but not a critical system UI. They don’t work when there is no coverage (the recognition happens in the cloud despite a very powerful onboard computer); it is not usable when on a call; there is no system behind the commands logic (“enable child lock” does what is expected, “disable child lock” does nothing); it expects the _exact_ phrase, zero semantic analysis; there is no official list of commands released by Tesla; it changes without much reason (like the UI). So, voice commands are an interesting toy but not a tool.
Some UI decisions are very questionable. What is the benefit of swipe (longer interaction) vs. tap (shorter interaction)? Why entertainment controls are easier to access (functionality not available when driving) than driver-related controls (critical thing like defogger)? Why I should start an unrelated system to check status/control another system (seat warmers and HVAC - and that continues in the app)?
This thing was not tested thoroughly (which is scary), rushed because of light show and Sonic The Hedgehog (which is frightening prioritization decision), or part of a trend of turning a car into a (badly designed) game console.
Yes, they could fix it but why they have to break something in order to fix it? Seems like wasted efforts when there are other places where those efforts are badly needed. Also, why haven’t they issued a hot fix for things like the defogger, seat warmers and night navigation - probably the top 3 complains? Or at least made a statement that they would fix it? If I could be sarcastic I would say that it is because they are working on porting Galaga and Pacman.
Such treatment of customers destroys trust and creates resentment. Some of us are vocal (not sure if they read these forums - I hope they do and internalize them) but many are not. Unofficial polls here show a pretty big size (in some cases more than 50%) not happy to a point that they want V10 back (with all its issues). Yes, unhappy people are more vocal but, absent official Tesla data from PR department, how do we know? Another data point is a lot more articles in the press, compared to previous updates.
This is all bad for Tesla and their mission. It hurts me to think that people will start leaving in droves when viable alternatives are available (Taycan is not one of them) in a couple of years (what would be the residual value of the car you own now?). If they continue with this treatment of concerned customers that will inevitably happen and Tesla will turn into another case study in the business schools.

Yes - I found the previous audio/media player button much easier to use. Even after using the current configuration for 3 weeks it's clumsy and poorly laid out. But hey, we got Sonic, right?
Exactly.
Which is most innovative audio entertainment?
1 place that leads to 6 items = V10
or
6 items that lead to 1 place, (that then shows only 1 items until you open a pulldown that shows the other 5) = V11

I really liked the music note; touch it and the audio window opened, slide vertically over it and the window increased in size to see all your audio sources, slide over it more and the window opens further and all your music choices were there. Reduce the widow or close it by sliding over the music note again. No reaching, no fiddling with other icons or menus. Simple. Intuitive.
And if you like lifting your arm and swiping windows, you could do that too. Or close with an X, that too. Its satisfies everyone.
The new way is junk.

The only thing I like is colored icons

I hate this new UI
-You'd have to honk to save dash cam (or go through opening the car settings to hit the recording), there's a lot of instances where I just want to save some footage without having to do some random honking...bring back dash cam saving to the main screen AND actually make the icon bigger would've been a +
-Way too many screen touches just to get ac/heat/fan to your liking, gg that dam touch sliding for fan control
-You have to go into car settings to get to the trips/odo page & tire pressure page...more coordinating touching and more distraction
-The map direction (direction of car, north, or full trip view) is hidden away now and you have to touch the map screen to wake it up
-The side camera video on signaling should pop up to fill the full map section of screen...it popping up at the small section on the lower right screen is just not a spot where you even see much of anything

IDK, I hate this new UI and wish I can revert back and maybe just keep the colored icons (The only thing I hated about the old UI was the bland gray icons, which always made it hard and unintuitive for me to find the phone icon)

There's plenty of room on the screen that a lot of every day use items could fit, but Tesla has now tucked them away and made it even more of a distraction to get to them when needed

It sucks. The previous UI was great, tweaks are fine but if you have a good UI, wholesale changes like this are just going to piss people off. Why would you hide driver profile one level below when it is very common for households to have two drivers and each with their own profile? Where is the wiper controls, they are needed to be very front and accessible, what about trip information? How about "if it ain't broken don't fix it" dummies?

Clear step back. What a waste of screen space…The Tesla software engineers cannot distinguish between essential and non essential info.
Agree. I'll never forget jumping in my brand new Tesla in Aug 2020 and noting how easy and intuitive the UI was. No training needed and how it all made sense. Unfortunately this latest UI is NOT intuitive. So many vital things hidden, while unimportant things are elevated. Was this designed by a driver or a bot?