Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This new UI sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sucks. The previous UI was great, tweaks are fine but if you have a good UI, wholesale changes like this are just going to piss people off. Why would you hide driver profile one level below when it is very common for households to have two drivers and each with their own profile? Where is the wiper controls, they are needed to be very front and accessible, what about trip information? How about "if it ain't broken don't fix it" dummies?
Everything you say is true. The UI was one of the best things about the car, have had many upgrades over past 18 months of owning my MY, this is the first one literally made me mad.
U mad bro? Yes.
I've been searching how to downgrade, anybody know??

I just the car, and did not even realize it did not have Carplay till 3 days later. I figured all the new cars in the market had it. I mean, if even a 3 year old car we have does have it. But that was surprise and was disappointed as I use it for sooo many things and now I'm lost.
Next I find out, I can't listen to radio, and use the phones bluetooth functions together. I expected it to know when to switch between both such as radio to say my Zello then back to radio. or radio to say Waze for any warnings then back to radio again. Works on 3 other manufacturer cars we own seamlessly except for this Model Y.

Maybe it's some setting on the Model Y which I have not got right yet, and I'm just disappointed at the car while it's just my error for not setting it right yet. Again, I just got the car 6 days ago. Lots to learn.

I just the car, and did not even realize it did not have Carplay till 3 days later. I figured all the new cars in the market had it. I mean, if even a 3 year old car we have does have it. But that was surprise and was disappointed as I use it for sooo many things and now I'm lost.
Next I find out, I can't listen to radio, and use the phones bluetooth functions together. I expected it to know when to switch between both such as radio to say my Zello then back to radio. or radio to say Waze for any warnings then back to radio again. Works on 3 other manufacturer cars we own seamlessly except for this Model Y.

Maybe it's some setting on the Model Y which I have not got right yet, and I'm just disappointed at the car while it's just my error for not setting it right yet. Again, I just got the car 6 days ago. Lots to learn.

The compass (map direction) on my Model 3 is always visible on the 15 inch screen, you may just need to adjust the
map settings. That said, I thought it was interesting that the app for Tesla theater, toy box, Netflix etc is present at the bottom
of the screen yet none of those games or entertainment can be used while the car is in motion. But, more often used items do not
appear on the main screen and are multiple taps away.
Only if you put them on your launch bar. Any recently used app will go to the right side of the bar, even if they can't be used while driving. It's logical in one way, not in another.

How is it in any way logical to be able to 'pin' an app that you can't use while driving?
I'm referring to the recently used apps, not the user-pinned ones. It maintains process consistency that any app not on the launcher will go to recently used area for quick access after it has been opened. If it's not accessible while driving, the icon does stay there till it can be used again (or gets replaced by another).

I'm referring to the recently used apps, not the user-pinned ones. It maintains process consistency that any app not on the launcher will go to recently used area for quick access after it has been opened. If it's not accessible while driving, the icon does stay there till it can be used again (or gets replaced by another).
Even still, the system makes little sense. A Tesla is not an iPad. What I may have used while the car was parked doesn't necessarily translate to what I need when I'm driving. In many ways it's completely backwards.

One thing that drives me bonkers is knowing what is and isn‘t selected or turned on. Take things like the seat warmers and radio favorites. Light grey is off, a little darker grey is on. How about grey is off and blue is on. Another one is how buttons/icons don’t show the current state but rather what you want to do. It’s the opposite of Mobile operating systems that show the current state greyed and pressing it turns it black or highlights it. In other words, if something is “on” In the Tesla, you can’t tell because the icon says “off”. And drivers will never get used to that in the UI because the phones, tablets, and computers they use everyday (along with ATMs, self-checkout displays, elevators, etc.) all work the same… the Tesla UI is the outlier.

Heck, there are three or four different “switch” designs: some are toggles that turn blue when you move them, others are boxes that either turn blue or grey when activated, etc. a great example is the headlights pop up at the bottom of the screen. If the headlights are on, the button is highlighted blue and right under that if your auto is set to on it is grey.

I have to agree. The new UI is absolutely terrible. I understand that Musk wants the car to be more 'intelligent' and by 'hiding' commonly-used controls Tesla is leading people down the Yellow Brick Road to an automated experience. That's fine if all you want is a robo-taxi, but personally I want a car I can drive and operate without resorting to (often unsupported) voice commands or having to dangerously navigate various screens while on the move. These constant 'updates' by the wizards in California reflect that Tesla is really a software company that makes cars, not the other way round. (And let's not even talk about the idiotic yoke.)

Such a bad UX that it feels like a intern has played around on a touche screen in the office. Instead of a pro who tests the features in a driving car. I live in a country with smooth roads. But I can imagine what a irritation it would give on bumpy roads, trying to hit one of those stupid small buttons. Or worse try to use the music slider :mad:
this version makes me really frustrated!

Reactions: sleepydoc