Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This panel gap worth having SC fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why I never noticed, despite having the car for 6 months, but man does this look egregious from some angles. It is the between point between the glass roof and rear hatch.

To top it off, it's been raining non-stop the past week and half, and I've been driving in it quite a bit. Now I'm concerned if water might've gotten inside.

IMG_20180301_130416.jpg

IMG_20180301_131142.jpg

Last edited:
If it bothers you, you can ask. If it doesn't bother you, no need to ask.

There should be rubber seals/gaskets around the sunroof, so even if water got into the panel gaps, doesn't mean it got into the car.

I honestly think you should let it go.

I'm pretty OCD about things like this and I would not bother about it. I guess bring it up if it bothers you thta much but personally I would not worry about it. Last thing I want is to get the car back and it is worse :eek:

Reactions: IdaX
If that gap is any tighter, when the hatch opens you can have the glass break due to really small sticks or debris (or the glass might touch even without any debris if it is tighter?). I have seen a couple of broken glass issues from tree debris of something similar to an acorn. That gap is fine and not an area where I have ever heard of water intrusion

Good point. Since my work is near the service center, I'll probably pop in and ask for their opinion as well.

Reactions: jelloslug
I don't know why I never noticed, despite having the car for 6 months, but man does this look egregious from some angles. It is the between point between the glass roof and rear hatch.

To top it off, it's been raining non-stop the past week and half, and I've been driving in it quite a bit. Now I'm concerned if water might've gotten inside.

View attachment 283697

View attachment 283698
It looks a bit like the white paint makes the gap look bigger. But it is likely a very small bit more than the average. Maybe take another pic without the flash on or direct sunlight overhead and then decide?

@mmoon24 Would be interested to see what your gap is. I don't know if my gap is tighter than normal, but at 8.7mm, mine doesn't seem excessive.

But you mentioned you were concerned "if water had gotten inside"? Do you mean you are concerned that the water is getting inside of the car at your hatch/trunk area? Like the trunk carpet?

Even if your gap was very tight, water will get through the gap...but that's not really important as it will simply go down the channels on either side and then exit the car at the bottom. There's a seal that prevents the water from getting into your hatch area so as long as that seal is intact, then water getting into the gap between roof and hatch shouldn't cause any problems as long as your seals are in good shape.

• Love
Reactions: namlio
Might be worth sending your service center a picture like this and asking their opinion. Might save you a trip.

I spent a lot of time with surgeons, and their favorite saying was "Better is the enemy of good". Sometimes trying to make something perfect makes it worse.

@mmoon24 Would be interested to see what your gap is. I don't know if my gap is tighter than normal, but at 8.7mm, mine doesn't seem excessive.

But you mentioned you were concerned "if water had gotten inside"? Do you mean you are concerned that the water is getting inside of the car at your hatch/trunk area? Like the trunk carpet?

Even if your gap was very tight, water will get through the gap...but that's not really important as it will simply go down the channels on either side and then exit the car at the bottom. There's a seal that prevents the water from getting into your hatch area so as long as that seal is intact, then water getting into the gap between roof and hatch shouldn't cause any problems as long as your seals are in good shape.

Sorry for not responding over the weekend. Was out of town with no access to my laptop.

I just measured using a measuring tape and got back exactly .4 inches or 10.16 mm far as the space between goes. Based on what you posted, mine is slightly bigger than yours.

Might be worth sending your service center a picture like this and asking their opinion. Might save you a trip.

I spent a lot of time with surgeons, and their favorite saying was "Better is the enemy of good". Sometimes trying to make something perfect makes it worse.

Yeah, I sent them a picture last Friday, and they essentially said to come on down so they could take a closer look.

My car is not perfect either. But I can live with it. What I could not live with is getting the gaps perfect and adding a rattle or squeak. Nicki has never had a rattle or squeak in 24K miles of bad freeways so I plan to have no body maintenance until that changes.