Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Police Department’s New Cop Car is a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fremont Police Department to Deploy Zero-emission Tesla Patrol Vehicle in Pilot Program from Fremont Police Department (CA) : Nixle

The pilot team purchased a used 2014 TESLA Model S 85 in January 2018 for $61,478.50

user21753-1548301003-media1

Looks like a base model (solid roof) 85, which go for about $35K on the used market. Curious how they managed to spend $62K on one. Seems like selling to PDs is a lucrative business! Any ideas?

Based on the press release, this was the purchase price and did not include modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ramonneke
Cops in Fremont, California are about to get a huge upgrade.

The Department bought a 2014 Tesla Model S to replace an aging Dodge Charger. The idea is to find a new type of electric vehicle that could survive five years of active duty — while cutting emissions.

Tesla Turf
The single Model S might’ve been more expensive right off the bat, at just over $61,000 plus the costs of converting it into a fully-fledged police cruiser, according to a press release. Modifications include a “light bar, push bumper, and ballistic barriers.”

But savings in gas and maintenance could make it a lot cheaper for the Department over five years of use — the average life cycle of such a vehicle. The Fremont Police Department has already installed a solar array on top of the Police Complex’s carport to charge electric cars, including the new Tesla.

And it has the potential make Fremont — where Tesla’s factory is located — greener. Police Captain Sean Washington noted that “this program has the potential to eliminate 10 percent of all municipal greenhouse gas emissions” in the press release.

Electric City
Fremont isn’t the first city to buy Teslas for its police. Basel, Switzerland added seven Model X SUVs to its fleet in December. Canada’s Ontario Provincial Police also showed offa converted Model X pursuit vehicle at last year’s Canadian International Autoshow.

Next time you’re pulled over for speeding, you just might see a Tesla in your rear view mirror.
fremont-police-department-tesla-model-s-1200x630.jpg

Reactions: jorobsand
While I love the idea, the thought of a police Tesla getting used/abused makes me sad. Just seeing the condition that the average police cruisers are in due to normal duty use concerns me.

That is unless we are more likely to see the department use this vehicle more for show than actual day-to-day traffic/police use.

Fremont Police Department to Deploy Zero-emission Tesla Patrol Vehicle in Pilot Program from Fremont Police Department (CA) : Nixle

The pilot team purchased a used 2014 TESLA Model S 85 in January 2018 for $61,478.50

Looks like a base model (solid roof) 85, which go for about $35K on the used market. Curious how they managed to spend $62K on one. Seems like selling to PDs is a lucrative business! Any ideas?

Based on the press release, this was the purchase price and did not include modifications.

What Fremont PD paid for the car was totally in line with sales prices of similar Teslas at the time of sale.

The MVPA https://www.fremontpolice.org/DocumentCenter/View/418 was signed on 12/14/17 . Fremont paid $55k plus tax, lic, doc, etc.. making it $61,478.50.

Searching EV-CPO archives EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings for Solid Black Roof, 85kWh battery and 19" Base wheels with 26.5k miles brought up listings between $49k to $59k.

What Fremont PD paid for the car was totally in line with sales prices of similar Teslas at the time of sale.

The MVPA https://www.fremontpolice.org/DocumentCenter/View/418 was signed on 12/14/17 . Fremont paid $55k plus tax, lic, doc, etc.. making it $61,478.50.

Searching EV-CPO archives EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings for Solid Black Roof, 85kWh battery and 19" Base wheels with 26.5k miles brought up listings between $49k to $59k.

I bought my 2014 S P85 with 44k miles last November for $42k. They really overpaid, probably bought from a non Tesla dealership. All used car dealership I'm my area sell Teslas for at least $5k higher then take CPO sure I.

Last November they cought have bought brand new S 75 for $63k after tax credits.

Although I agree with jorobsand in that I'd hate to see a Tesla take the abuse of a police cruiser, there's quite a lot of perks using a Tesla for a patrol vehicle. Its quiet, quick, and efficient especially with the amount of idle time usually spent running an engine...

Although I agree with jorobsand in that I'd hate to see a Tesla take the abuse of a police cruiser, there's quite a lot of perks using a Tesla for a patrol vehicle. Its quiet, quick, and efficient especially with the amount of idle time usually spent running an engine...
How are quiet and quick a perk? out of all the true benefits of a Tesla being used as a police vehicle, you chose quiet and quick?