Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This range can’t be normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

I’ve been charging to 90% lately and my range keeps going down. 3.29 % after 1800 miles on a two month old car is not right. It would appear that this range loss is not coming back. Every time I charge the range goes down further. Tesla, of course says battery is normal. Appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• A96232E9-4429-4262-8436-6A382AC4C50E.png
    A96232E9-4429-4262-8436-6A382AC4C50E.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 107
Pretty normal, but hard to tell from historical data since newer models make degradation more obvious for the same amount (older ones hide the some initial amount).

There is a sort of "break in" period where the battery rapidly degrades a few percent, then that slows down greatly and levels out.

It's also worth noting that the TeslaFi extrapolations suffer from some rounding errors (mostly relevant for low states of charge) and battery temperature effects (your car reports slightly less available range/percent when colder, anything below about 25C/77F by my findings).

Thanks all. My only point of comparison is with my LR RWD which I just traded in on my current car. It didn’t lose that much in a year and a half, and 12,700 miles.

Could those charges be from the old car?
I thought about that, but when I checked Teslafi those charges were within the purchase time frame with the new car. The number of charges seems crazy because I’ve only had my new car for a couple of months. There has to be multiple charges lumped into one. I’ve only charged once a day that I can recall since I got the new car. 70 days should only be 70 charges, right? I just checked the total number of charges..9 at 90% 87 at 80% and 2 at 70%.

I thought about that, but when I checked Teslafi those charges were within the purchase time frame with the new car. The number of charges seems crazy because I’ve only had my new car for a couple of months. There has to be multiple charges lumped into one. I’ve only charged once a day that I can recall since I got the new car. 70 days should only be 70 charges, right? I just checked the total number of charges..9 at 90% 87 at 80% and 2 at 70%.
So you had a previous Tesla? I think TeslaFi knows about every charge cycle from both cars - that's the 947 charges.
But within the timeframe you selected you've had 98 charges. Ever left the car plugged in over a weekend or a few days with sentry running? Look at this....
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.17.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.19.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.19.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.21.56 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White