Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This road trip should be safe to do right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on doing this drive here between superchargers:

Google Maps

You can see that it's basically 194 miles inbetween the two superchargers. My Model 3 still shows 310 when fully charged (owned for 6 months so far, 6k miles). I am thinking this should be safe with a ~100 mile buffer to account for any heating and such. Should all be during the day but probably partly with headlights on. Car will be full (2 adults, 2 kids, luggage).

Any reasons why I can't do this trip?

I think you can probably make the trip. One thing to keep in mind, though... if you're going the direction the link shows, from Corning to Mt Shasta, you need to factor in the ~3500 foot elevation gain. That eats a bunch of extra power, and the up and down through the mountains of your proposed route will eat a little too (you get power back coming down, but not quite as much as you spent going up.)

If you and the stuff are a little over a thousand pounds all told, a 2300 kg car load going up about a kilometer needs 22.5 MJ of energy - 6.3 kWh or about 8% of your battery pack.

Thanks yea the plan is to stop in Corning and fully charge, then stay the night at Mt Shasta (literally next door to the supercharger there). I did think about elevation but wasn't quite sure how it would be affected. High temp for Lassen is in the 60's right now but could be in the 40's too depending on how soon we do the trip.

We will probably total about 500 lbs of stuff (wife and I about 300, kids just 50 lbs total, car seats, one small suitcase, etc shouldn't be more than 150 lbs).

Official curb weight of a 3 LR RWD is apparently 3814 pounds. Add 500 pounds of stuff, that's 4314 pounds, or 1929 kg. So my estimate above is around 15% high - you'll need around 5.5 kWh for the climb.

Thanks! That sounds reasonable and hopefully is the major thing eating into my 100 mile buffer.

Use the Tesla planner, EVtripplanner or any of a couple other tools to check.

Thanks yea I first mapped it out at tesla.com/trips. On paper it looks fine. Just wanted to get some other opinions here. I want my wife to have a good experience on the trip. She's already a Model 3 fan after driving it but I don't want to hurt that by cutting it close on a drive like this. I'll check out the ev trip planner and see if it says anything different, otherwise it looks like it should be fine.

A Better Route Planner says the trip is easily doable, arriving with 28% battery. ABP takes elevation change in to account: A Better Routeplanner
I forgot about this one, thanks! I played around with the settings and if I add a headwind and rain, it affects the route too much (wants me to head back to Corning and charge, then go back. But with clear skies we should be good.

Piece of cake with a Model 3. The two enemies of range are speed and elevation gain. Most of your journey will be on two-lane roads at 55MPH; Lassen Park has a lower limit; perhaps 35.

At 350wh/mile, you would consume 70kWh for the ~200 mile journey. At 325 wh/mile, 65kWh, and so on.

Just keep an eye on your consumption on the touchscreen as you embark, and try to keep your usage <325 wh/mile or so on the "since last charge" line.

It is also easier on the nerves if you commence your lengthy journey a tad slower than you would ordinarily drive. Once you see that your consumption is OK, you can speed up on the boring segments of highway. Also, taking the long ascents a little bit slower (if you are not holding up a string of cars behind you) extends your range.

You might also consider routing your trip to Lassen east from Corning to Chico and then up SR32 to SR36 and approach the park entrance slightly from the east. That road is a much prettier drive than SR36 east from Red Bluff through Mineral.

Have a blast!

Missing information:
When? And what type of weather is predicted for then?

The answer for "summer and 60F" is very different from "winter and blizzard".

Yes, but Lassen National Park is the first road to be closed during winter weather after the first snowfall of any magnitude as the road is not plowed. This is usually around Thanksgiving. So, I would guess that the original post implies that there will not be blizzard conditions, and the wind is not much of a factor up there until autumn gives way to winter.

Piece of cake with a Model 3. The two enemies of range are speed and elevation gain. Most of your journey will be on two-lane roads at 55MPH; Lassen Park has a lower limit; perhaps 35.

At 350wh/mile, you would consume 70kWh for the ~200 mile journey. At 325 wh/mile, 65kWh, and so on.

Just keep an eye on your consumption on the touchscreen as you embark, and try to keep your usage <325 wh/mile or so on the "since last charge" line.

It is also easier on the nerves if you commence your lengthy journey a tad slower than you would ordinarily drive. Once you see that your consumption is OK, you can speed up on the boring segments of highway. Also, taking the long ascents a little bit slower (if you are not holding up a string of cars behind you) extends your range.

You might also consider routing your trip to Lassen east from Corning to Chico and then up SR32 to SR36 and approach the park entrance slightly from the east. That road is a much prettier drive than SR36 east from Red Bluff through Mineral.

Have a blast!
Thanks for the info! I like that idea of the other route but unfortunately that adds 29 miles to the trip (223 total). Thinking that might cut it too close for my comfort.

Don't even worry about it, just take off and go on the trip! Life is boring if everything is all planned out! Take your charging cord with you and all the plug adapters, and what's the worst that could happen? You sit at a rest stop charging off a 5-15 outlet for 6 hours while the kids ask "HOW MUCH LONGER DAD?!?!?!?!?!" every 4 minutes? :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: BestHand and Shygar
Don't even worry about it, just take off and go on the trip! Life is boring if everything is all planned out! Take your charging cord with you and all the plug adapters, and what's the worst that could happen? You sit at a rest stop charging off a 5-15 outlet for 6 hours while the kids ask "HOW MUCH LONGER DAD?!?!?!?!?!" every 4 minutes? :rolleyes:
No rest stops in the mountains :). My wife is pretty easy going but if we're sitting in the car for a couple of hours waiting on the battery to charge and it is getting cold at night, that will be the last road trip we do in the Model 3 :).

Update: Completed the road trip this past weekend :). Yea range was not an issue at all. I ended up driving pretty conservative for the first two parts. About 5 miles an hour under the speed limit. Had it in Chill acceleration the whole time. Was pretty easy on it.

I started off in Corning, CA with 307 miles (full charge still shows 310). Went about 65 or so on the highway (70 speed limit) and would follow a semi when it was there. Only lost about 4 minutes of time going slower, so it really doesn't make much sense to speed anyways but I digress. TeslaFi:

TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

Kohm visitor's center to Burney Falls (link got broken somehow):

TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

Burney to Mt Shasta:

TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

I ended up with like 93 miles of range left and I drove the last leg of the trip (Burney to Mt Shasta) pretty normal driving (aside from having deer cross in front of me twice, I love our headlights!).

Side note, I got v9 upgrade on Friday night and had a USB stick ready to go. I recorded a bunch of dashcam videos but the one below is one of the ones I picked out.

Reactions: Saghost