Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This seem normal for supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes the supercharger could just be broken as well, had this happen in Centralia, WA. Pulled up to station far away from anyone else, started charging and only got about 30 miles per hour. Figured something must be wrong and tried the charger opposite from my stall, sure enough, 72kW instantly.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I tried two chargers at this spot, both only went to 30kw

I will bring my car down to a much lower SoC and then try them again.

I also noted in the charging forum that the super chargers on the turnpike plaza are broken, at least some of them are.

Hopefully this is not a trend as to whats going to happen, build great infrastructure and then no one to maintain it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
I tried to chargers at this spot, both only went to 30kw

I also noted in the charging forum that the super chargers on the turnpike plaza are broken, at least some of them are.

Hopefully this is not a trend as to whats going to happen, build great infrastructure and then no one to maintain it.
Next time, pay attention to the stall numbers. It's possible the two you tried were paired with the two cars that were already there. Some Superchargers are arranged 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B. In other places, they are 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B...but they could be in other orders as well. If you tried stalls 1A & 2A, for example, and the other cars were on the matching stalls 1B & 2B, that would perfectly explain the 30 kW charging rate.

Last edited:
wouldnt make sense that once i moved the car to another charger that the speed stayed at 30.

I will go try again.

Altamonte Springs, FL Supercharger | Tesla

They are super and not urban according to the website. Will try agian
If you only tried two stalls and there were two other Teslas charging, it's entirely possible you were paired with the other two cars are each of the stalls you tried. If you tried more than two stalls then the problem would not be explained by paired Supercharger stalls.

https://i.imgur.com/6KTxt9R.png

The speed for amount of charge
OP I had this happen a week ago at the Altamonte SC. Also at the Tifton GA SC.
I'd say a "weird cap" happens to me in the Southeast at ~5-10% of SC stops.
And not situations where I'm paired with another Tesla.
Just situations where I am alone or definitely not sharing, I'm at 10-50% SOC, battery's not overly hot or cold, and drawing something zany like 48kW.
I pick another stall, and bam 117kW.
It's frustrating, but the REALLY frustrating part is calling it in to Tesla and then visiting the very same SC say a week later and nothing's been done to repair it. This has gotta get better before Tesla can broadly appeal beyond the FanBoy and FanGirl base.

OP I had this happen a week ago at the Altamonte SC. Also at the Tifton GA SC.
I'd say a "weird cap" happens to me in the Southeast at ~5-10% of SC stops.
And not situations where I'm paired with another Tesla.
Just situations where I am alone or definitely not sharing, I'm at 10-50% SOC, battery's not overly hot or cold, and drawing something zany like 48kW.
I pick another stall, and bam 117kW.
It's frustrating, but the REALLY frustrating part is calling it in to Tesla and then visiting the very same SC say a week later and nothing's been done to repair it. This has gotta get better before Tesla can broadly appeal beyond the FanBoy and FanGirl base.

Yep hoping we dont see a trend in supercharging stations being left to deteriorate

Bjorn Nyland just did a video on model 3 supercharging. I seem to recall the charge rate dropped significantly after 50 or 60%, so this might be what happened to you.
Normally not that much at just below %60 SOC (going by miles, they're about %58 there). Usually don't hit 30kW until around 85%, or higher. Lots of data on this, Google "model 3 charging kw curve" and scan through the Images.

I've seen 30kW around that low of SOC before but it was a cold soaked battery that had been outside in freezing temps w/o being plugged in.

I have, and others have, seen unusually low outputs from SC. Some of the West Texas SC during the day in the summer have a poor reputation for this, it is suspected that a combination of heat on the equipment and in the car's battery is at play.

It doesn't sound like any of that is at play here, so hopefully was just the SC in an ill state of repair. Also a think that happens. The second closest SC to me, which is an older one, has issues at times.

SOC needs to be below 20% and the battery needs to be warm to get the full rate. Anything above 20% SOC seems to be in the 30kW-60kW from my experience.
On a Model 3? Get that looked at, stat. You normally shouldn't be dropping below 100kW until at least 50% SOC. 60kW somewhere around 70kW or so. This time of year in Indiana, if it gets left outside and the battery is cold soaked that's a different thing. But above freezing temps (either parked in a semi-heated garage overnight, or above freezing temps overnight) that's entirely abnormal. Orlando, where OP is, very rarely gets cold enough for something like that.

Model3ChargingCurve.jpg

Some are seeing even later drop-off than the above data, from a 2017 build vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker