Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This should be the Tesla truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Haven't seen this one before, best render I've seen yet of what the truck could be:

tesla-pickup-truck.png

5 new Tesla vehicles coming by the end of the decade

That fanciful Tesla truck image is an aerodynamic disaster. Tesla would never create anything like that.

It's basically a Model X front end on a truck, with a slightly larger lower grill opening for increased cooling. How exactly is that an aerodynamic disaster? Sure it's sitting higher than an X, most trucks would. I imagine it with an aerodynamic bed cap for those who do more highway miles.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The truck shown would not work in the supercharger infrastructure due to highway efficiency.
Really? What is the battery pack size in this yet to even be announced Tesla truck? How far into the future does your vision penetrate? What is the supercharger density when this truck is available, what are the charge times, what is the per mile efficiency? How many people take long distance trips in their pickup trucks?

That fanciful Tesla truck image is an aerodynamic disaster. Tesla would never create anything like that.
It's going to have to look like that and have the traditional bed on the back if they have any hopes of selling it. They are just going to have to come up with a way to get the range needed other than aerodynamics. Face facts, the truck that everyone wants is not aerodynamic. It needs ground clearance and a boxed fully open bed like the one in the picture.

It's going to have to look like that and have the traditional bed on the back if they have any hopes of selling it. They are just going to have to come up with a way to get the range needed other than aerodynamics. Face facts, the truck that everyone wants is not aerodynamic. It needs ground clearance and a boxed fully open bed like the one in the picture.

Multi-layer battery? Partial multi-layer (part of battery pack in frunk)? Higher density like the new batteries? They have a semi (Class 8 tractor) coming soon; they must have an idea how to tackle the problems.

Multi-layer battery? Partial multi-layer (part of battery pack in frunk)? Higher density like the new batteries? They have a semi (Class 8 tractor) coming soon; they must have an idea how to tackle the problems.
What I was thinking. Need extra battery capacity but they got to keep the weight down because every pound more the truck weighs, that's less it can haul/tow. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing if tesla can pull it off because we really need decently better battery density for a truck than what we have now.

As much as I'm excited for a Tesla truck and encourage Tesla to offer every "vehicle line" (van, sports car, CUV etc.), I think the market will have some difficulty accept an electric truck. Truck owners tend to be very traditional and want their big smoke stacks and loud V8s and whatnot... so the thought of an electric truck won't fly with them (my opinion and my personal observations). Even if the Tesla truck has a greater towing capacity, better suspension, and all the other aspects that make a truck so great, it'll take a while for people to make the switch. We saw it with the Model S and the Model X, I just think it'll be even harder to make a switch in the truck industry. I am of course excluding people who buy a truck simply because they don't want a van or an SUV.

It'll be interesting to see what Tesla does and what people will think of the truck. I know I am a Tesla fanboy, so whatever Elon and the team makes, I love it :) !

What do you think?

Even if the Tesla truck has a greater towing capacity,
And that is unlikely, plus we have data from Model X towing showing that an EV loses a significant fraction of its range while towing, over half of its range when towing a mid-size camping trailer.

I think the energy density of Lion batteries is not yet sufficient to build a usable truck at an affordable price that could successfully compete against the F-150 and others in that class.

Everyone? The opportunity in EV trucks worldwide in the next decade is probably actual work trucks. The American segment that prefers large lifted trucks is probably the last group to go EV. The chance that Musk is talking about a lifted vehicle with large, wide wheels is near zero.

Everyone? The opportunity in EV trucks worldwide in the next decade is probably actual work trucks. The American segment that prefers large lifted trucks is probably the last group to go EV. The chance that Musk is talking about a lifted vehicle with large, wide wheels is near zero.
I'm not talking about a lifted truck on 34's that stick 6in out the finders. I'm talking about the trucks like ford f series and the Silverado. People want those types of trucks, not things like the El Camino or some of these design concepts that look like an x with the roof cut off. The most important thing is the bed. The picture that the op posted is almost perfect. That truck is not lifted much just off-road tires on it like the raptor behind it. It's got the ground clearance, the bed, and the big spacious cab that truck buyers want.

I bet most trucks are used locally carrying nothing more than people in the cab, and occasionally hauling stuff in their beds. Certainly that's what I see the majority of trucks doing on a daily basis. I'm quite sure a half ton Tesla truck with a 250 mile EPA range would sell quite well, and that is something that Tesla could build today. The only problem with doing it today would be cost. Ford F150 weighs between 4000-5200lbs, the X weighs 5200-5300. Chop off the rear half of the X roof and falcon doors and you'd be within the weight of the F150.

Reactions: MP3Mike

If they want 20% plus Full Size Truck market share they will.

And force Detroit to Electrify or go bankrupt.

Or they can build a very aerodynamic truck that sells only to the wealthy elites on the West Coast and Northeast and be self satisfied they built the most efficient truck ever.