Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This should be the Tesla truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not? Seems perfect to me. Unless they drive more than 200 miles (which they couldn't do running dump runs etc.) the range is enough. Torque and Power are already in the high-end truck range. Cargo capacity would need to be up to it, but I presume that Tesla understands that. I know a contractor who would love one. What do you see as a limiting factor?

The range when hauling is probably closer to 100 miles, just based on the results of owners towing travel trailers. But obviously it's a blend of usage, and that would be 100% hauling. You're probably right, there are some heavy truck users who don't drive more than that. In my area, you easily cover 100 miles in no time. The friends I have who do vineyard work put up to 300 miles a day on their trucks. The day is often spent mostly in the vehicle.

I concede that there is probably a broad market, but I don't agree that the heavy usage I dictated qualifies as trucks "eating other cars." That's what I'm trying to defend against.

I consider real truck users the people who are hauling all day, towing, doing dump runs, carrying mulch and compost around. And not stopping from 7am until 6pm. The X skateboard would not suffice for this kind of usage. Maybe for a weekender hauling occasional wood for his or her hobby, though.
No disrespect by saying this but I actually agree with you on this. I know me and you can and have strongly disagreed on things because we come from two very different viewpoints but I try to see through the eyes of the people I argue with. I try being the two key words here:D.

But yes I agree the model X platform would not work for the people that use their truck every day. Maybe the X platform could be used as an f150 competitor? But for the super duty's like the f2/3/450's are going to need a different one.

Why? What characteristic makes it unsuitable?

Thank you kindly.
For the same reasons the ford edge doesn't share it with the super duty's.

It needs much higher battery capacity (well it does to for the f150 as well) and the lowest towing capacity for a new super duty is 12,200lbs and that's with a configuration that hardly anyone gets. Average towing capacity is 15-20k with the highest being 32,500lbs. I highly doubt the model x platform could reliably support the weight of the tow vehicle and 12,200lbs much less 32,500lbs. Lowest payload is ~3500lbs and highest is ~7500lbs. Again I highly doubt the model x platform could handle that without so many significant modifications that you could have just created a entirely new one that would perform better.
507985d1454640383-2017-super-duty-pictures-i-took-20160120_152709_1454640380208.jpg

This is the 2017 super duty. Has a very big boxed steel frame and solid axles due to the weight requirements. Not like the model x platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman and JRP3
people wanting a traditional large PU truck with an ICE may have trouble finding one at any reasonable price 7 or 8 years from now.
Because governments will regulate them out of existence. They are mostly not necessary for commercial use, check out the streets of the EU or Japan.

• Disagree
Reactions: theboom1