Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This should be the Tesla truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with a lot of what people are saying here. They can improve on the aerodynamics as compared to a traditional truck, but it still won't be that great aerodynamically. Plus you need serious towing capability. It will require a big battery, but technology is not ready for that yet (too expensive for the battery size that would be required). Hopefully the gigafactory will make a huge dent in this problem, making the truck a realistic prospect.

The average starting MSRP for a Ford F-150 is around $49K. With the top of the line going for an MSRP of over $65K. Why wouldn't Telsa be able to compete with that?

The biggest challenges are 4x4 - Solved with Dual Motors
Towing Capacity - Solved with bigger batteries
Range - Solved with bigger batteries
Bigger Batteries - solved by using the truck bed and the cabin floor as a flat battery pack.

New issue - how to you ensure that you don't dent or puncher the truck bed? Same solution as the Model S and Model X underneath. You add re-enforcement in the Truck Bed and under the Truck Bed.

Pickups in the western half of the country and, I think the southern half, very, very often tow, and tow a lot.

The rendered picture was, to me, an eye-rolling bleccch. Just as bad as the concept Mercedes pickup I also saw this week. Looks nothing like what I've been envisioning from Tesla, which, inter alia, is not only more capable at truck functions than any light truck presently available, but also solves aerodynamic challenges, range issues and everything else important both to pickup owners and EV cognoscenti.

Haven't seen this one before, best render I've seen yet of what the truck could be:

tesla-pickup-truck.png

5 new Tesla vehicles coming by the end of the decade
Bring it on Tesla. I would love to be able to buy one of these.

Truck owners tend to be very traditional and want their big smoke stacks and loud V8s and whatnot...

Truck wannabes maybe. REAL truck owners want carrying capacity, bed size, low end torque, horsepower, et al. An electric truck is well placed to meet those needs. A Model X beats many trucks already in torque and horsepower.

Thank you kindly

I would buy an electric truck in a heartbeat. I'd prefer it have a full size bed too because mostly I end up renting a uhual ram truck just to get plywood for woodworking and reno projects. I don't need a ton of range for that, just the space.

A Model X beats many trucks already in torque and horsepower.
For a little while. And that's the problem as of now.

There is a market for image trucking or whatever it might be called - that is, people who want to look like they "work" but really just drive a truck and use it from time to time to haul things. But when it comes down to people who actually use a truck, I can't see Tesla putting that kind of battery density into a vehicle for at least a little while for the same reason Elon said they won't built the NG Roadster. It's not really a wide enough segment. And the problem with building an image truck is that it only works if you have a real truck in the product line to legitimize it. At least in my view.

Apologies for making up the term "image trucking," which is lame.

I can't see Tesla putting that kind of battery density into a vehicle for at least a little while

What kind of battery density? And why are we measuring batteries by density anyway?

Currently if all they did was put a truck body on a model X skateboard, it would be a pretty awesome truck (for real truck users). It won't ever fit the people who need to feel like their trucks eats other cars.

Thank you kindly.

Currently if all they did was put a truck body on a model X skateboard, it would be a pretty awesome truck (for real truck users). It won't ever fit the people who need to feel like their trucks eats other cars.
I consider real truck users the people who are hauling all day, towing, doing dump runs, carrying mulch and compost around. And not stopping from 7am until 6pm. The X skateboard would not suffice for this kind of usage. Maybe for a weekender hauling occasional wood for his or her hobby, though.

The X skateboard would not suffice for this kind of usage.

Why not? Seems perfect to me. Unless they drive more than 200 miles (which they couldn't do running dump runs etc.) the range is enough. Torque and Power are already in the high-end truck range. Cargo capacity would need to be up to it, but I presume that Tesla understands that. I know a contractor who would love one. What do you see as a limiting factor?

Thank you kindly.

I can see those who are towing large loads longer distances couldn't use an X based truck, but look around you at what most trucks are actually doing and I'd say there is a substantial market for an X based truck right now, (other than the cost of course).