Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugliness extreme. THIS is what they kept hidden for so long? We'll see if the real truck is revealed soon.
I wondering also at the begining of the show if this was just a moke up...

And I was waiting for a big explosion and smoke to see a more typical Tesla's shape, like a Model X on steroid....

But since, it really grows in me. I'd like to see in real now.

I recently saw this SFO firetruck at the 150 th Oakland fire department annversary and this truck really blows my mind:

This truck with this glass cabin at the front looks absolutly astonishing, stunning, and mesmerizing.

1779-AP-Apparatus%20%283%29%200819%204.jpg

Last edited:
It’s different that’s for sure. I like it because it appears as though Musk is still thinking outside of the box. From what Ive seen in the comments people will either hate it or like it with no in betweens. I wonder how many folks have put down that $100 deposit?

I think the genius of this design is in the new approach to body manufacturing that it arises from. It’s not an elaborate steel Endo Skeleton that thin stamped and painted steel or Aluminum body panels are attached to as a skin. It’s a thick stainless steel exoskeleton made by a process like steel origami. (BTW another Blade Runner connection with all the origami references).

If you’re making the body by steel origami you don’t need giant stamping presses and expensive dies and elaborate industrial planning to work with them. You don’t need paint shops.

However any body you make this way won’t have arbitrary curves and sculpting. It will like origami tend to be faceted hard edged and geometric. That Brutalist look isn’t just an arbitrary decorative choice like most of what people are used to about car body design. It comes from the underlying manufacturing technology. Stamped body panels can look like almost anything. Steel origami bodies look faceted and hard edged.

Other features just arise from Steel Origami too. The exoskeleton is structural so it’s a lot tougher than stamped body panels. You can hit it with a sledge and not dent it like a tank. It’s extremely durable and tough. Pickup Trucks with painted stamped body panels are snowflakes by comparison. You can key the CyberTruck and besides being caught by Keep Summer Safe mode, nothing happens.

Why Steel Origami? It may be that it so simplifies body manufacturing that it let’s Tesla make a profit selling this vastly superior sports car/tank of a pickup for $40k. CAD can design an origami folding pattern for sheets of steel that robots can score and bend into complex structural shapes. This may eliminate a lot of expensive industrial processes. It may be quite flexible letting a set of robots produce different Origami shapes every time more like 3D printing that traditional assembly lines.

Since I’ve seen the presentation, driving around, I can’t help but look at every vehicle on the road as a sort of primitive Victorian steampunk thing, covered with a delicate purely decorative fanciful skin that’s expensive to produce and not very functional.
This “new approach to body manufacturing...”. Passenger cars have been designed like that for decades
Vehicle frame - Wikipedia

Reactions: mattjs33
I live in Northern Arizona - BIG truck country. None of the truck owners I know would ever be caught dead in that thing. A Tesla could have the raw speed and power to compensate for the lack of deafening engine roar that these people seem to love so much. But the fighter-jet body will be way too much for them to accept. It probably even has soft leather seats. I doubt that this thing will ever actually be built.

Tesla should concentrate on their Semi. It actually looks like a semi because semis have always tried to be streamlined. Is there any doubt that the railroads will eventually be replaced by autonomous semi caravans running along designated, perfectly-mapped routes. Tesla might have to build some designated-lane roads, but this would seem to be logical development.

I live in Maui. I've been telling folks that soon they can get an electric pickup truck. But here, all pickup trucks have a rack over the bed and cab. They carry canoes and kayaks on the rack. Construction people carry ladders and whatnot. This "Cybertruck" (i.e. Mad Max truck) has no easy way to in stall a rack. Nobody in the state of Hawaii will buy one. And that's sad because with all the installed solar here the truck could run zero-carbon. My Model 3 (best car ever!) runs 100% on sunlight from my home solar. (I dialed the charger down to 15 amps at 240 volts so my solar panels can run the charger and my A/C at the same time without drawing from the Powerwalls). An electric pickup truck would be an easy sell here in the Aloha state. But not if you can't put a rack over the bed and cab!

A few urban cowboys might buy it, but nobody who uses a truck for actual work, and nobody who has to carry something long, like a canoe or a ladder or construction materials.

I really hope this is a joke. But it's been two days (?) since the reveal, so I'm afraid it's not.

They could still cut their loses, scrap this thing, and build a proper pickup that can be used as a pickup.

I live in Northern Arizona - BIG truck country. None of the truck owners I know would ever be caught dead in that thing.

And? Who cares?

Anybody who wants Tesla to tap into the huge market for work trucks. It doesn't matter if you only want to sell to Mad Max wannabes. People who drive a pickup just because they think it makes them look cool.

Anybody who wants Tesla to tap into the huge market for work trucks. It doesn't matter if you only want to sell to Mad Max wannabes. People who drive a pickup just because they think it makes them look cool.
For real. Contrary to popular believe that the overwhelming majority of trucks are pavement princesses, a large amount of truck buyers use their trucks for work. The only reason for the perception is that the general public only sees them at the grocery store. How much time do the general public spend on a construction site? Or at the boat ramp at the marina? Or at the off-road park? Or at the hardware store? Or at a camp ground? Or any of the other places that truck dominate? Your seeing the truck when it’s “off duty”. Trucks are too big and getting far to expensive to say people are buying them just to “look cool”.

How traditional truck buyers see it is very important because the small market of never driven a truck before people that this will convert is quite small. And with a bed with greatly diminished utility, I don’t think it is tapping into the traditional truck market very much. Pickups sell about 2.5 million units per year in the us, about 15% of all vehicles and are the #1,2 and 3 best selling vehicles. It is very important that they get this right and I don’t think Tesla did.

Reactions: Owner and mattjs33
Let's be honest. It was crazy to spend so much time pontificating about the huge truck market and then reveal something that will not even remotely interest most truck buyers. Mixed messages galore. You can't explain the looks away by saying it's not for everybody and then talk about how big the market is etc. I had planned on buying one for years but I can't follow through in spite of the looks. And no I don't need to see this in real life.

Seriously Elon, you need to scrap this jokemobile and make a REAL pickup truck. The kind that will be used in the same ways at the top 3 selling vehicles (pickup trucks) are used. Then and only then can the Tesla superiority shine.

No one asked for this fantasymobile, no one wants it, and Tesla will LOSE if they build it.
Lol I used to say around here just build an F150 that is a 500mi EV and you will have millions of reservations. Always got thumbs down on that. Heh. Truck builders have figured out over the last 4 decades to give people what that want. don't be stubborn and tell them what they want. There isn't a clamoring for bulletproof panels. Keep it simple stupid

Let's be honest. It was crazy to spend so much time pontificating about the huge truck market and then reveal something that will not even remotely interest most truck buyers. Mixed messages galore. You can't explain the looks away by saying it's not for everybody and then talk about how big the market is etc. I had planned on buying one for years but I can't follow through in spite of the looks. And no I don't need to see this in real life.
What happened to the 'mission'? Is this about saving the world or loooook at meerre?

Reactions: Owner and mattjs33