Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conceptually this truck has great features for towing, range, efficiency, power outlets, air compressor. Hardened metal (and glass?) seem as an attempt to play to a perceived “tough” mindset, but practically it’s hard to understand how many would care about that. The presentation of the broken glass seemed to throw off any positive momentum, and plausibly seemed intentional (how would that not be tested extensively in advance?) if the goal was to get people talking about it, who knows. Design wise, this seems too out-there for any buyer, no matter how efficient it may be. The sharp angles are over the top; intuitively it would seem better efficiency could be obtained with surfaces having smoother transitions, which would also make it look closer to what most would expect. The S is a solid design. The X took some risks, but hits everything out of the park with form and function. The 3 and Y look great, are safe bets without many risks. Next roadster goes above and beyond (flying short hops), but still has form of what one would expect from such car. However this truck, based on its design, not only do I not see it selling, I see it dragging down the rest of the brand.

Let me shorten your complaint:

It doesn’t look like a traditional truck should look. Therefore it’s a fail.

Personally, the more I look at it the more I’m fascinated.

This is what it should have been...

upload_2019-11-21_21-51-49.jpeg

Remember when the model s was first released, Franz was talking about developing a beautiful car that people will find attractive regardless of powertrain. Because of how ugly all the EVs were at the time, tesla wanted to build a good looking car.

Guess that thought process went out the window with this.

Everyone: Aztec was ugliest utility vehicle ever

Tesla: Hold my beer.

I’m a huge Tesla fanboy. I sold my MS P90D for this? Omg. Nonononono!

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge executives are thanking their lucky stars tonight. Tesla’s EV truck advantage just evaporated. It’ll probably take them three years to wake up from this mistake.

They could have taken over the truck market easily. So much talent! Great price and specs! The stock will tank 20% or more tomorrow.

Yes, too many hits on the bong Elon. The yes men around him must be also be taking hits too and passing it around. Dear God man, what are you thinking. And Franz, what happened? You are the chief designer, who created the model s, roadster, and semi. What happened?

I’m very disappointed

Look the thing is not bulletproof. He showed a 9mm bullet. We don't even know what kind of jacket it has. That's the lowest level of armoring. Any guy with a .40 cal or 10mm is going t penetrate that "armor" like it was nothing. And the glass isn't bulletproof anyway so what does it matter?

As for towing, the key number is 26k lbs combined gross vehicular weight. If you go over that number, you need a commercial driver's license. If your trailer is between 11-15k GVW like mine is, you need a trailer endorsement on your DL. But again, if your truck is 14k GVW and your trailer is more than 11,999 lbs GVW, then you'll be over the 26k CGVW limit. CDL time.

As someone who tows with an F450, I can tell you that this thing is all hat, not cattle for towing. Look at the bed rails. They slope upward. You're never going be able to use a 5th wheel with this thing. The 5th wheel pin box (the part that connects to the hitch), will crush the upward sloping bed rails. Furthermore, unless the truck is built with reinforcement members in the frame to support a fifth wheel hitch in the bed, again that's not going to work. And there's apparently no gooseneck provision in the bed for a ball. A gooseneck pin box would be even more problematic with those bed rails.

This thing is meant only to tow travel trailers.

And one has to wonder what the range will be when you're towing a 10k lb travel trailer up and down steep hills in the summer when it's hot (which is when most people vacation).

All along when I was watching the presentation, I thought "this has to be a joke - the real cybertruck will appear at the very end". Well this is the real deal apparently.

Based on what I've seen tonight, it's a resounding no for me. Too fugly. Not practical for real towing. Too fugly.

The Pontiac Aztec has lost it's position as the ugliest vehicle of all time. All hail the new champion - the cybertruck!

Remember when the model s was first released, Franz was talking about developing a beautiful car that people will find attractive regardless of powertrain. Because of how ugly all the EVs were at the time, tesla wanted to build a good looking car.

Guess that thought process went out the window with this.

Did you hear, Franz has been smoking with Elon every day and this is the result.