Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, the more I look at it the more I’m fascinated.

I was in meetings as this thing was revealed... I got a pic texted to my phone, and my heart sunk.

However, as @WilliamG states... as I watched the video (except for the embarrassing glass debacle), I became more and more interested.

Does it 'look' like a truck? NO. But does it look like it will PERFORM like a truck (I"m a truck guy, and use them daily)? I believe it will.

So, even though I didn't originally think I would do this...

I'm putting my deposit down... The wait is on! :)

For those that don't like it... just don't buy it. Simple. ;) I'll get mine faster, in 2024 o_O

Sorry I was ordering while you all were commenting.
Function is what it is about for me.
500 + miles should get me 200+ towing. This is a good truck. Yes it looks different - that is ok. Ordered the trimoter with the longer range.
We ordered as well. My son was particularly interested. I think it will be his car initially, but we will take it to our second home in Colorado, where we do a lot of hiking via 4WD trailheads. You cannot get to most 14er trailheads without being able to navigate huge potholes and boulders.

Last edited:
I also found it interesting that the "Y" reveal caused such grumblings like "BOOORRRIIINNNGGGG" and "I was hoping for something more futuristic" and "It's just a freaking Model 3 with a fastback!!!" and "Tesla has lost it's edge".... and on and on and on.

Fast forward to today... Tesla unveils a RADICAL new design... tough as nails, and strong as an ox! Everything I wish my current truck was! But we get the grumblings that Tesla didn't make it look more like "a truck".

Tesla can't win. Except in my book! Funky, yes... But I'm buying one nonetheless.

I think it's ugly, but I also think it'll look better in person. I hated the front of the Model 3 when it was revealed. I assumed they hadn't had time to finish it, and would eventually do something similar to the S and X. Over time, I came to like it more and now, it looks totally fine to me. I think the truck will look better to me over time.

That presentation will be shown in marketing classes for decades as what not to do at a product launch. Simply terrible. I was embarrassed for Elon. If the product were amazing that could all be forgiven. But the truck itself is a total disaster. Did they even talk to any truck buyers? Do they really think a farmer in Tusla is going to cross shop a F150 with that high school shop class design?

Your quote about marketing got me thinking a bit. Sure enough after seeing the vehicle on stage and then lookin through all the pictures released of the truck, there is not a hint of Tesla branding anywhere. No ‘T’ on the front, no ‘TESLA’ badging across the rear, nothing on the interior. Usually companies want to use an event like this to plaster their brand everywhere. Just seems odd.

I believe Tesla was caught of guard. Rivian has a good truck coming out. Ford showed us their electric F150 prototype. Bollinger has its truck coming out. Tesla just slapped something together to show us what spec's they can do and priced it low. I dont think what they showed us tonight will be the final look. Why not ask for 1k down? Bet not as many would have put down their deposits.

I also found it interesting that the "Y" reveal caused such grumblings like "BOOORRRIIINNNGGGG" and "I was hoping for something more futuristic" and "It's just a freaking Model 3 with a fastback!!!" and "Tesla has lost it's edge".... and on and on and on.

Fast forward to today... Tesla unveils a RADICAL new design... tough as nails, and strong as an ox! Everything I wish my current truck was! But we get the grumblings that Tesla didn't make it look more like "a truck".

Tesla can't win. Except in my book! Funky, yes... But I'm buying one nonetheless.
Theres a Mars to Earth distance of middle ground there.

I think it's ugly, but I also think it'll look better in person. I hated the front of the Model 3 when it was revealed. I assumed they hadn't had time to finish it, and would eventually do something similar to the S and X. Over time, I came to like it more and now, it looks totally fine to me. I think the truck will look better to me over time.
our vision does get worse as we age :(

Reactions: PACEMD
I have no idea who the customer is for this thing. The same people who bought a hummer? All 1,000 of them? Meanwhile resources get diverted from fixing customer service and building out the strained supercharger infrastructure. From doing so much right they see to have some something very very wrong here, imho.
Prob won't be the traditional F150/Silverado/Ram/Tundra/Tacoma buyer. Prob gonna be the Mod Y or the Mod 3 buyer...or the existing Tesla owner who's wanting a 2nd Tesla.

Reactions: rocketdallas
This is what it should have been...

View attachment 479858
I like this a lot better!

I would be ok with the looks because the strong stainless skin probably cannot be stamped and the straight skin probably cost a lot less to manufacture, if they did away with the raked pillers and made the glass wrap around the windshield like vehicles in the 60's.

:D:D:D

upload_2019-11-22_0-36-4.png

Greg Kachadurian on Twitter

Exactly. I also felt, like many, that the Model 3 front looked fugly when first revealed. Now I wish my X had a similar front. I love the look.

I think the stainless steel frame also gives the Cybertruck a somewhat unpolished look. Imagine how much nicer it’ll be in other colors or with a nice vinyl wrap.

The more I look at it the more it kind of grows on me. It's too big though if you ask me. They should have started with a mid size pickup. I am not buying because I don't need a truck but I think it will sell.

They should flatten out the point on the roof though and get rid of those wheels. Also maybe offer a short bed because that thing looks crazy long.

Design aspect aside, a truck is a truck is a truck. The majority of trucks out there are work trucks and that's what this is about. It's about changing the game - good aesthetics or not. I already knew from the getgo that it would be attractive simply from the enormous gas savings over conventional trucks. It is very disruptive when you add up how much fuel savings there could be in a year, while also being a truck that can take a lot of abuse. The specs are great. I wouldn't get nothing less than the 500 mile range version. It will probably sell well for commercial use. Atleast until other trucks come online that do it all as well, and look more mainstream. Elon is just so far into the future and he may have brought it a little too far that people aren't ready for it yet. But it's all good in the end friends - he's pushing us all forward in the right direction. And that's what matters.