Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all need to sleep on it.
I did, and all it did was give me nightmares.

Seriously, I’m worried this will tarnish Tesla’s reputation. I’m concerned this hideous design will make them the laughingstock in many circles a well-designed truck shouldn’t. Tesla has had a great reputation for design and this truck detracts from that hard-earned heritage.

Good grief, you could have made a truck futuristic, different and still attractive. IMO this is only different. Futuristic is not synonymous with weird. I think the meager $100 deposit is not a sign of confidence.

To those that ordered it, I truly wish you the best. I guess ugly is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

Last edited:
I have zero need for a truck right now, but if I did I'm quite sure I wouldn't be approaching it as an ego style accessory, the way we treat our cars.

The near indestructibility aside, there are things they will surely do to make it cover even more truck functionality bases, and at that point if as a workhorse it provides great value and performance, and you can run a welder and air tools off it, nobody is likely to be standing around scratching their heads and wondering if the styling is Italian enough.

And of course it makes no sense to leave off the automation "FSD" package that will add job site functionality like one worker being able to control it remotely to load and unload.

This is a short bed. Real trucks have 8' beds.

Especially trucks that tow 14'000 lbs.

I've not seen many things that weigh 14'000 that can be towed with a tow ball. At that weight things are mostly towed by a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. And in that case you want to have a long wheel base for stability, which implies an 8' bed and a full cabin.

Obviously this truck has additional issues with a gooseneck/5th wheel hitch than just the bed size...

The F150 has a theoretical towing capacity of 13'200 lbs if you do a particular build combination. Nobody actually use it for that and Ford doesn't really sell them (even though the advertise it front and center) - it's a marketing thing. I've tried buying an F150 a few years ago at maximum towing capacity. Not a single dealer had one available in the country, those trucks and made to order and I'd be surprised if they sell a 1000 a year. When you tow something that heavy a F150 is not the right tool for the job. You want a F350 or heavier with dual rear wheels.

I have an RV that weighs 15000 lbs when it's empty (that I tow with a F350 dually). I can't imagine feeling close to safe in something as small and light as a F150. It's not about power, it's about control.

Well the big reveal was just about stainless body and glass. No mention of the interior seat arrangements. No mention of range when towing 14k lbs.

This is obviously designed to go for the commuter market - white collar folks who drive crew cab F-150s with short beds to the office everyday and want to pretend to be tough contractors. Not real tough contractors.

Umm, OK. I have a contracting business with about 10 pickups at any given time. We do heavy construction. We own standard pickups with varying lengths beds. None are 4 wheel drive. None "look tough." The average contractor with a big pickup is using it to hall 2x4's to residential projects but think it is cool to look like they are driving a tank. Also, the vast majority of work trucks do things like delivering car parts to repair shops and get run ragged by pool service companies and stuff like that. There will be a market for these in business for sure. I am less sure about farm market.

I’m pretty sure this was built before, did Elon confuse Blade Runner and Top Gear?
AEEA2C63-7BF9-4148-9CFB-BC3CEBF9E83D.png
C4B1928B-6217-492A-90BE-9FA8DE567560.jpeg

Last edited:
The difference is the iPhone was good looking and did amazing ground breaking things. This just looks like they took a Tesla drivetrain and over a few weekends cobbled some stainless steel sheetmetal panels over it with zero attempt at making it look desirable. One big problem with the stainless is it can’t be straightened, filled and repainted because there isn’t paint, the big reason it isn’t used on cars and trucks. Although if you were going to drive something that looks like this in the first place why would you care what it looks like with dents so why worry about using dent resistant materials?

Last edited:
On paper, this destroys every other truck out there. I just priced out a Chevy Silverado and I'm shocked at how much they cost with pathetic towing, horsepower, and not to mention a bunch of plastic cladding all over.

I also have to laugh at all the comments on the looks. Have any of you seen the other trucks people drive around? I'm not a fan of trucks, and honestly they all look terrible in my opinion. Especially all the lifted trucks I see here in Colorado.

I seriously doubt I'll buy one, but from a pure practicality standpoint this thing would be a dream. Loading up my three kids, with all of our camping gear or skis, driving in Colorado, not worring about scratching the paint and denting the body. It's a tank.

Quick Question. I saw the presentation and the disastrous window demo.
My theory on the window demo: the team was scrambling to get the prototype ready for the reveal. They were behind schedule. The armor glass wasn't ready so they used standard auto glass just to get through the reveal. No one bothered to tell the boss because throwing a ball bearing at the truck window was not part of the show plan.
The ball drop demonstration on the individual panes is the evidence I need to show the armor glass (which is also being used on the Semi) lives up to the hype.
I'm already on my 2nd M3 windshield thanks to a tiny pebble. I could really use some of this tough glass.