Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Umm, OK. I have a contracting business with about 10 pickups at any given time. We do heavy construction. We own standard pickups with varying lengths beds. None are 4 wheel drive. None "look tough." The average contractor with a big pickup is using it to hall 2x4's to residential projects but think it is cool to look like they are driving a tank. Also, the vast majority of work trucks do things like delivering car parts to repair shops and get run ragged by pool service companies and stuff like that. There will be a market for these in business for sure. I am less sure about farm market.

Agree:

“According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.”

The specs are unmatched and will be untouchable for a while, IMHO.

The design is bladerunner meets moon-truck. I think some tweaks, maybe badging and TESLA on the front or back would help. Perhaps make the A-pillar black to stop the side windows from just floating in the stainless side body.

Also, I'd like to see it in flat black with F117 character lines...

F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

Agree:

“According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.”

I think Texas and surrounding states skew the results significantly for the rest of the country. I get that over there a large number of people drive trucks that never haul or tow anything (I have family there). Over here (WA state) I don't know of anybody with a truck where the truck doesn't haul or tow more than 50% of their miles.

My truck is like 90% towing and hauling. The other 10% is driving it to and from service - it's a Ford after all...

Last edited:
Working folks won’t touch this thing. Hope it doesn’t sink Tesla entirely. Ford, Rivian, and every other truck mfg in the world have got to be laughing their a$$ off. What a total screw-up.

Yes, working folks are looking to buy a Rivian that starts at $69k. /s

I'm waiting to see how much the electric F-150 costs, which is most likely a re-badged Rivan, and therefore will be similarly priced.

No other Automaker will have an electric truck with this type of performance in this price range for a long time.

I really wanted to like the truck (I need another one since I've had my last one for 38 years now), but I'm not sure I can ever see me in this monstrosity. The specs seem impressive, but it's just too ugly to look at. The demonstration on toughness were an embarrassment. Did they not try to dent the Ford truck door ahead of time? Looked pretty tough to me. They the glass breakage on the Tesla truck. How embarrassing. I might find myself heading to a Ford dealership to buy theirs or possibly a Rivian. I had really hoped for more.

Reactions: silvermaxd
Here’s my theory. Elon, by teasing a truck for so long, has forced Ford and GM to enter the fray—which is what he wants! The specs on the truck are phenomenal even though the design is so controversial (although even as an old guy, I’m warming to it after a night’s sleep). So the underpinnings will blow the competition, and if he chooses, Elon can evolve a design with more universal appeal. In the mean time, Ford is finally seeing the handwriting on the wall.

I like how several people here are oohing a aahing over its "function over form" design, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what function this awful design helps accommodate. It doesn't even look that aerodynamic. Car design got away from sharp edges for a reason.

All this proves to me is that Elon has never used a pickup truck for anything, ever.

It's also as if he's never seen the "dustbuster" GM minivans of the 90's, and wasn't aware that people don't want to try to look over a 24-inch deep dashboard. With the angle of attack of that windshield, this thing is going to be absolutely horrible to drive.

It's truly awful. But of course I would check in here and see multiple people saying they've already put down deposits for one, even though they don't know why. It's just what you're supposed to do in Tesla-land.

I know people will either really love it or really hate it but all I have to say is that there’s nothing like this out there. Park this next to any car $1M and less and people will will be gravitating toward this car.

And I do have to say for all the current nay sayers and haters. Don’t come near it when it’s out in the world. Don’t take a ride or a picture of it. Just shows that you’re a HYPOCRITE.

I woke up this morning, checked my facebook feed, and this truck is being absolutely shredded by friends and family back in Texas. And almost all of them don't follow Tesla. That's how bad Tesla screwed up. The negative word of mouth this truck is generating is astonishing.

If Tesla doesn't do a significant redesign I'm afraid this may sink the company. Don't kid yourselves, the specs of this truck will not be it's redeeming factor to average truck owners. They're not going to be caught dead going to sunday church in this thing.

Wow. Just wow. What an utterly bad call.