Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesnt ugly describe all pickup trucks?

Ok what I came here for. The glass. Lets suppose the demo worked, would it have mattered. Can they really make a production vehicle with windows that cant be broken? Wouldnt that be an emergency assistance hazard? I can see in specialty vehicles, but someones everyday vehicle.

Well, it is BIG with PEP!!!!

hahaha I just made this this morning:

EJ_Kga3W4AAI636

ish, but look at the rover from “The Martian” (2015). I think there are two sort of visions of “the future” in culture - one that is very glossy and sort of round (a la I Robot or Minority Report) and one that is very harsh and angular that you see more frankly in 80’s movies and modern hard sci-fi (think The Martian, Interstellar, or any dystopic movie). To me this fits squarely in the latter.

okay now that everyone has on the truck let's look at it from a different angle so to speak. It was a shock to see at first granted but the more I looked at it the more I liked it (after viewing about 100 photos and 4 videos) This is going to appeal to the generation that played HALO Let's talk negative aspects and what needs to be changed:
Steering wheel: The race car wheel has to go, saw on the first drive video the demo driver got his hands all twisted up making a 90 degree+ turn. Need to be able to go hand over hand.
Fender covers: First round them out for aerodynamics. Secondly extend them over the tires completely as I do not want to be paying insurance claims for throwing rocks and breaking windshields of the vehicle behind me.
Front aspect: Personally would like to see the front slope back towards the front tire more for better aerodynamics.
Reaching over the side: Since I am short 5'9" I would have to step up on the wheel anyway but it is difficult to reach over the side at the front of the box. What I do like about the slanted vault is that I could put taller items in the front of the box and still have them covered which I can not do on my Silverado
Things I liked: The rear view mirror being a camera that can see all of your blind spots (as long as it is adjusted to show real distance)
The LED trim lights above the rear doors are cool
The Rivian only gets 200 miles and starts at $70K, so the Tesla is a much better value at the same price point.
The bullet proof body that resists dents, this would be important to me as a contractor or a farmer. The armored glass is a bonus as I would not have to fix as many windshields as I have done so in the past (I am sure that will never happen again in that type of demo LOL)
The fact that it is roomy on the interior.
The ramp up tailgate design and the built in tool box. The built-in tool box also may be a disadvantage for a contractor who wants a traditional tool box up front as he has other equipment/supplies on the bed of the truck. Then the reach over factor becomes a bigger negative again unless a step is added that appears when needed (slides out)
It was not mentioned if there were going to be colors or just the stainless steel design, I would like colors.
I do like the angled look as it is futuristic looking and I am 67 years old. My sons and grandsons love the looks. They are the ones who played the video games and are not afraid to this type of look.
Anyway that is my first initial reaction to the truck That and $2 will buy a cup of coffee. Have a good one.

I really wanted to like the truck (I need another one since I've had my last one for 38 years now), but I'm not sure I can ever see me in this monstrosity. The specs seem impressive, but it's just too ugly to look at. The demonstration on toughness were an embarrassment. Did they not try to dent the Ford truck door ahead of time? Looked pretty tough to me. They the glass breakage on the Tesla truck. How embarrassing. I might find myself heading to a Ford dealership to buy theirs or possibly a Rivian. I had really hoped for more.
I agree

I wonder how much Elon's pet project is going to cost Tesla. No way this thing is going to be a commercial success. What an opportunity wasted to stroke a billionaires ego.

^^ This.

Trucks look the way they do because of the tasks they're asked to perform. Lose the ICE and I guess you can argue against the hood. In that regard, I was expecting sort of a cabover or "forward control" type design. The design of this "truck" brings no benefit other than "look at me!"

With Tesla's tech and EV street cred, they could have sold a metric ass-ton of these, if only it had looked like an actual truck.

The polarizing design accomplishes nothing, other than realizing the fantasies of a billionaire man-child.