Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like...if they just took the awful sides on the bed and the back looked more like a pick up bed it may be a bit easier to take in as something unique but accessible? Maybe? It’s the pyramid shape that’s so hard to digest. My eye just thinks the object isn’t done rendering.

I wonder how much Elon's pet project is going to cost Tesla. No way this thing is going to be a commercial success. What an opportunity wasted to stroke a billionaires ego.

If Tesla can grab 1% share just in the US (less than half of Nissan’s piece of the market with the Titan in 2018) with an average selling price of $50k, they get a $1.5B incremental revenue boost...doesn’t seem destined for commercial failure to me.

Last edited:
I feel like...if they just took the awful sides on the bed and the back looked more like a pick up bed it may be a bit easier to take in as something unique but accessible? Maybe? It’s the pyramid shape that’s so hard to digest. My eye just thinks the object isn’t done rendering.
Agree!! Hopefully you're right and they make some changes but if you remember either the M3 or MY reveal it was spot on for production.

Funny how everyone want to comment on the spec's and how great they are. Which is true. But are afraid to admit it's ugly. Saying the look will grow on them,this is a prototype, its different and thats what i want and current trucks look outdated. Current trucks aren't outdated, they are what they are because they work.
If that wasn't the case then the Honda ridgeline and the chevy avalanche would be top sellers today and everyone else would be changing their truck design to match.
I really hoped Elon was serious about getting ride of gas trucks too. Instead he designed something for his loyal followers. I bet not to many people would have put down 1k down to reserve it.

That’s a damn good looking truck... under all that butt ugly stainless steel

Looks like design similar to this ...

Tesla Cyber Truck and F117 design.jpg

Funny how everyone want to comment on the spec's and how great they are. Which is true. But are afraid to admit it's ugly. Saying the look will grow on them,this is a prototype, its different and thats what i want and current trucks look outdated. Current trucks aren't outdated, they are what they are because they work.
If that wasn't the case then the Honda ridgeline and the chevy avalanche would be top sellers today and everyone else would be changing their truck design to match.
I really hoped Elon was serious about getting ride of gas trucks too. Instead he designed something for his loyal followers. I bet not to many people would have put down 1k down to reserve it.

Who’s afraid to comment it’s ugly? That’s 90% of the posts in this thread...

If Tesla can grab 1% share just in the US (less than half of Nissan’s piece of the market with the Titan) with an average selling price of $50k, they get a $1.5B incremental revenue boost...doesn’t seem destined for commercial failure to me.

Yes, but just imagine if he had specified something more conventional looking... What if they could capture 10% market share? With their tech that's not so hard to imagine.

This design is a galactic fail.

Yes, but just imagine if he had specified something more conventional looking... What if they could capture 10% market share? With their tech that's not so hard to imagine.

This design is a galactic fail.
Agreed. There’s really no mystery as to why the stock fell today. This is a bit of a disaster in terms of what It could have potentially been. Now, it’s just a bizarre niche vehicle that a few people might enjoy. It could have been revolutionary like the model 3...especially given the power at this price point.

glad Tesla still has the model 3 and model y. This will be as niche as the roadster.

Maybe they could have gotten more share, maybe not. But 10% share is only ~6% less than the share of the entire line of either the Silverado or Ram so that number isn’t really realistic to begin with...but the point is that there is no way this “takes down” Tesla when the market is so huge and growing. They can put a dent in it (pun intended) and be wildly successful.

I like how several people here are oohing a aahing over its "function over form" design, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what function this awful design helps accommodate. It doesn't even look that aerodynamic. Car design got away from sharp edges for a reason.

All this proves to me is that Elon has never used a pickup truck for anything, ever.

It's also as if he's never seen the "dustbuster" GM minivans of the 90's, and wasn't aware that people don't want to try to look over a 24-inch deep dashboard. With the angle of attack of that windshield, this thing is going to be absolutely horrible to drive.

It's truly awful. But of course I would check in here and see multiple people saying they've already put down deposits for one, even though they don't know why. It's just what you're supposed to do in Tesla-land.

I put one down because I always wanted to off-road and haul a large camper without the high fuel costs and pollution.

The thing is huge on the inside. The performance for the price is amazing. The looks, are different. So what? After seeing more photos and videos, it’s growing on me. The “traditional” and “conservative” current styles are restrictive IMO.

People will warm up to these once they see and experience them in the wild. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There will be many that do.

That’s what I’m sayin’. What’s so special about this vehicle where this is commiserate of Tesla’s product line. So far Tesla’s S3XY product line has been just that...SEXY. Each vehicle has been innovative, stylish, functional and appealing to the masses which is what you want in a company...a product you can sell to everyone and make money doing so.

However, I feel Elon’s leadership has missed the mark on this, and I’d be pissed if I were a serious share holder. Just my opinion, everyone has one, and wish everyone luck on their adventure of cybertruck ownership.

I definitely don’t think every Tesla is sexy. The Model X is one of the ugliest vehicles I’ve ever seen, especially side profile.

Again, I think a lot of detractors aren’t seeing this from the right perspective. Tesla is a disruptor. This is unlike anything else, and for good reason! And if I were in the market for a rugged pickup there’s no pickup I’d rather have than Cybertruck.

This thing is an embarrassment. What person that actually needs a truck would buy this? I feel they are messing up a huge opportunity to get into the biggest vehicle segment. Top three vehicles sales are trucks.

wife thought it was "cool". They May be trying to target people who don't actually need a truck aka "Suzie soccer mom"

I had high hopes for this but was totally let down.
Rivian thanks you Elon.
This is embarassing