Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what a bummer. I was looking forward to an actual pickup truck. The bed of that A frame house on wheels is not usable with the slopped sides. Tesla is not making money and I worry this will take them the other direction. They would sell a lot more trucks if it looked like some of the speculation photos going around the web prior to the release

Reactions: lardog
I think the masses are going to require a 4x8 bed, and clearly rear seats are not a must-have for the pickup market. I hope they develop a single row seat model with a longer bed.

I do not know the last time I even saw a truck with either an 8' bed or a single front row. Actually.....I take that back. One AC contractor around here has some as work trucks. But the overwhelming majority are the crew cab style with shorter beds. Anecdotally, most trucks used as trucks around here are hauling trailers, be they for equipment and tools, lawn care, boats, or race cars. And the second row allows additional people, be they family members or co-workers. My truck holds two sets ofs spare tires and several fuel jugs when I tow the race car, or can handle 2+ yards of material (mulch, topsoil) when I'm using it like that......and much more would overload the chassis.

I griped that it was harder to load stuff from the side than was my old F-150 (PN96 style, late 90's through 2003). But all new trucks have tall sides so they can market bed volume. None are easy to access any more.

Tried to find volumes, but couldn't. But per Hagerty, this layout accounts for the majority of trucks, now (meaning the other four styles - regular and extended, short and long bed, combined still sell fewer than this layout).

I was cringing a bit when the video did not seem to be well-synced to the presentation Elon was giving and the slides seem to bounce back and forth. However, when the window broke and then the second window broke, my initial thought was someone is going to get fired. It visibly threw off the remainder of the presentation by Musk. To his credit Elon held composure well and even made some light hearted jokes, but you could just see on his face that he wanted to get through the rest as quickly as possible.

After recently watch the Model 3 reveal, and the Semi/Roadster reveal... this was a mess.

Now in terms of the Cybertruck, I hated the design last night... there are still parts I hate... but I'm now viewing it through the lens that any other car manufacturer would have called this a concept car or a design exercise. The Ford Atlas ultimately became the F150 but with a lot of changes and refinement. I assume over the next three years this truck will also see changes.

I have read a lot on Elon and from Elon, and if the driving goal behind Tesla is to get the Electric vehicle to the masses and begin a large scale shift to renewable energy, then missing on a market as big as pickup trucks in America doesn't further that goal. To that end he will have to find a way to balance adding his own vision, and creating a product people will want to buy.

It is a power take-off, not a generator. Where, exactly, will you charge your pickup during a PG&E outage?

Nobody's claiming the truck will moderate all effects of an outage. But it will keep your refrigerator running and lights on for a couple of days. We make sure to have our car charged to 100% if a PSPS is predicted, and generally I think these events will have at least a few hours advance notice.

I like the design, although I understand that it is way out there. To me, it seems like a different approach than the Model S, which was to show how a traditional looking four door sedan could be electric and expressive.

This truck shows how a truck can be reimagined to include the best features of a work truck without using the design tropes required for an ICE work truck. On the hundredth anniversary of Bauhaus, this truck makes sense.

It’s more aerodynamic, for better range and driving dynamics.

Its front end deletes the big blocky part of a traditional truck because it doesn’t need that space for an engine and it avoids the aerodynamic drag. It moves the cab forward and puts that extra space in the rear to offer a large bed, rather than designing a small frunk and a small bed in back.

It eschews needless curves, presumably to make the truck more aerodynamic but also to make it cheaper to build.

It rethinks the structure of a pickup truck. Its frame is not a ladder frame of a typical truck, but the body structure is the frame, which strengthens the truck for better capabilities and driving dynamics.

It has a bed cover for aerodynamics, but unlike aftermarket bed covers on traditional trucks, this is built in to be available when needed and stowed away on the truck when one needs the bed open.

Its design makes the approach angle and departure angle quite compelling on such a large vehicle.

While I am not the target for this truck (I don’t need a pickup truck), I fully understand why the many design choices were made, resulting in a design that doesn’t look like typical ICE pickup trucks from the last 50 years.

Good job, Elon and Franz.

Guys, on the upside, just think of the memes this thing will generate...

ixP4-CoqXlD2-AQnF7l33hOuiajozbckSE6ScguVzX2gACcEIztxO7hIRLWbBIOr_uBviwhqcZNqr-eZeUWpmU7RilcHrXBKG7TSy5C9dhVqLTtVz2fb2iIpEs7UvxwzHiNoCCGBctCtcY4brKTsKmTN2cs2jyR80mxJYunVKvORmAkNr_BeI9CTKnzqfTSlpkfFEBbSi7mtjtvhdHVekoRW6XSZVeHl0P3NQmgE6_Kto7oB-T1cEWCMvuW1w8WZOSAUINVq5FWM9DFDuF9ltDjoLyjb7kNAB_zMh25-wkzJgCWllw-PiU0T2siPYYduJNcrZ8z-shOn-A64nqZ4M23dNROlgIKJLntVGWM7eC_T5MbD3pn4QaOMYuUj0uCjg-kJ3PHixmtPTbLp18rLzUEmoJv1eN2dg-fPvEinwyWTeyEavG-WSfAxrg8RV99kx5KBuXju4ssVmUeiaTlXDI9ysvzqGiCs9JV2_UpayFZZXtXMNgWHIKvkIeihcyNvttNbxmwE61gv9TW1Hbe66x7xxOYgPjSYF-W8PXZwDr2JaN3Vip7ncYdxzR5JZobc-q7vup4YpWo9331BhN78XyhaLlf3NB2ZWoocPeKA6s3za9G0VEbcGK1TxEKfcC5r7cqoG7YNtsMQBOZK78mfQzsf9SJyklh1wY4xWC83AZfpIfFcvytVQ-baEpjx7DNxQ8RamEHGw4zL_VW3gZqf22Aid2zhi6I1Z6stiw-DI0pfW69W=w628-h396-no

• Funny
Reactions: Matias and hill
So disappointing. Passionate about my Model S but miss my old pickup. Was hoping this would be the best of both worlds. If I wanted to invade a small country or play Moon Patrol this would be great, but why would I need a bulletproof truck? Rivian is decent and just saw the Atlis (although never heard of before today?) and it is cool. But without the SuperCharger network it doesn't really work. Hopefully things will change in the next couple years.