Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My response to all the whiners:

baby-yoda-boomer.png

I don't need something "beautiful" - I need raw brutal utility.

Cheap as *sugar*
Haul's *sugar*
Functional as *sugar*
Invulnerable as *sugar*

I'll take delivery before end of Q4 if Tesla wants to drop one in my driveway.

upload_2019-11-22_10-4-25.png

Last edited:
This comment didn't age well... I reserved two and changed my profile pic... I have a more optimistic attitude of it this morning!

I mean you aren't wrong, when viewed close up this is a clearly a driving concept vehicle. I'm sure it will get refined quite a bit between now and production, the question is will they keep the most disputed design elements or tone it down to go after a larger market share?

If Tesla can grab 1% share just in the US (less than half of Nissan’s piece of the market with the Titan in 2018) with an average selling price of $50k, they get a $1.5B incremental revenue boost...doesn’t seem destined for commercial failure to me.
What kind of market share do you suppose they could of grabbed with a truck that was actually useful as a truck?

Not here in California. If you can't load 4x8 plywood or drywall in the bed with tailgate up (so other smaller items stay in), it is not very useful.

And exactly where, in this stupid design, will they mount tool bins?

Well less than 50% of trucks sold in the US have 8’ beds.

Don’t most materials get delivered to job sites? Also, long beds are tough in parking garage.

Not sure on tools. Frunk?

I have 6 1/2’ bed now. When I need to carry Sheetrock or plywood I just put them in with the tailgate closed and they overhang about 12”. Stuff can go under them near the tailgate or on to near the cab.

Last edited:
I don't think Tesla's mission is to sell niche novelty second or third toy vehicles to the rich. Most truck drivers drive them daily.

Good point. That comment was really irrelevant so I removed it.

There's no reason this couldn't be driven daily. You'd wake up to a full tank and spend less fueling it than a some other truck which would cost $100 in California.

@mattjs33 - my man - long time no see.

How would this bad boy be at hauling around auto parts. Be honest. :)

A lot of nonsense in this thread:

1. Only 20% of pickup truck sales have 8 foot beds. The rest are ~6.5 foot beds.

2. The angled rear sides to the bed are for the electric tonneau cover tracks and for air slip stream. Regular squared off pickup truck cabs/beds have tons of efficiency loss from the turbulence created there.

3. I currently have a 2016 RAM Power Wagon which I'll keep until my CyberTruck gets delivered. I guess the whole "regular pickup" drivers would never get this is out the window.

4. You all worry way too much about what other people think. Must live fragile lives.

5. How someone thinks something like this looks better than the CyberTruck is beyond me:

2019-silverado-k2-ld-2lt-gpa-profile-bottom-left.jpg

better than 50% of contractors here in Atlanta have 6 1/2 beds.

Yes may very well be true but I don’t think this was geared towards so much building contractors in certain fields. Just not built for it from what I can tell. But sure it will the bill for many others. Likely will have Sentry although if body is bulletproof and glass is unbreakable down the road, workmen will probably feel pretty good about having their tools/other items stashed away in there. Lots and lots of reports out here all the time on stolen pickup truck items from contractors.

I very much see this vehicle being geared towards families in general. It’s very spacious inside and bet interesting feel to be in. Most of the people in my nice residential bay area neighborhood have at least one pickup truck or a big honking SUV/Crossover. Women seem to love to be sitting high off the road and I guess the men enjoy the more rugged nature. Honestly these people for the most part don’t haul any construction, landscaping, plumbing materials. Just the occasional purchase of a big TV and their kids sports equipment. This vehicle offers them all that, great mileage compared to their gas guzzling trucks/SUV/crossovers now, EV friendly, lots of cabin room and the feeling they are future storm troopers of some sort.

Personally can’t see this parked in residential driveways but I do think it will attract more buyers than some here do.

Good point. That comment was really irrelevant so I removed it.

There's no reason this couldn't be driven daily. You'd wake up to a full tank and spend less fueling it than a some other truck which would cost $100 in California.

@mattjs33 - my man - long time no see.

How would this bad boy be at hauling around auto parts. Be honest. :)

I think a lot of people don’t understand that the vast majority of trucks get used to haul small parts, pool cleaning equipment and stuff like that.

A lot of nonsense in this thread:

1. Only 20% of pickup truck sales have 8 foot beds. The rest are ~6.5 foot beds.

2. The angled rear sides to the bed are for the electric tonneau cover tracks and for air slip stream. Regular squared off pickup truck cabs/beds have tons of efficiency loss from the turbulence created there.

3. I currently have a 2016 RAM Power Wagon which I'll keep until my CyberTruck gets delivered. I guess the whole "regular pickup" drivers would never get this is out the window.

4. You all worry way too much about what other people think. Must live fragile lives.

5. How someone thinks something like this looks better than the CyberTruck is beyond me:

2019-silverado-k2-ld-2lt-gpa-profile-bottom-left.jpg

your entire post is spot-on.

I love the design. It is certainly much better looking that my ‘05 Titan that has to last me 4 more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
What kind of market share do you suppose they could of grabbed with a truck that was actually useful as a truck?

Let’s list the ways it’s “not useful as a truck” that we actually know about...

- Too high of bed (totally fair)
- Bed size (fair for a segment of the market)
- 5th wheel towing (small segment of the market)

What am I missing?

And useful...

- Durable
- Onboard power and air
- Off-road capable (at least on specs)
- Massive towing
- Fast
- Efficient
- 6 passenger capable

Let’s remember that 20% of the pickup market is midsize trucks. Can’t find number on share by bed length, but check out this data...might not fit how you use your truck, but seems like there’s plenty of room for these types of capabilities. Just look anecdotally at the trucks being released: trending toward midsize (or smaller in some cases), luxury and off-road capable.

https://b2b.autotrader.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/PICKUP-TRUCK-STUDY.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I mean, I'm far from alone in this regard.

If most people agree that Jennifer Aniston is pretty, it's probably because she is. Just saying.

saying that it’s “not for me” is one thing. I get that not everyone likes it. But my goodness....to freak out and yell it from the mountain tops and bash the designers and Elon to hell and back over this ? Seems a bit much. Elon warned everyone a LONG time ago. Shouldn’t be that much of a surprise. This seems like a pet project to him. Glad they had fun with it. And if it doesn’t sell well (which I think it will once people really start to see them and it’s benefits for the cost), they could come out with something else.

My dad who I thought would hate it, absolutely loves it!