Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cybertruck designer's inspiration:
delorean-monster-truck.jpg

Nobody seems to even suggest that last night we witnessed an efficient, 6-passenger pickup. I mean come on, people.

Efficient, fast, practical, solar option, camper option. This is the ultimate drive-into-the-wilds pickup.

If I were a pickup guy, or in the market for one...

A friend of mine just put a deposit on a tri-motor. So psyched for her.

And Elon said:

“Will be an option to add solar power that generates 15 miles per day, possibly more. Would love this to be self-powered. Adding fold out solar wings would generate 30 to 40 miles per day. Avg miles per day in US is 30.”

Elon Musk on Twitter

Imagine this solar powered for most people! Fantastic.

Let’s list the ways it’s “not useful as a truck” that we actually know about...

- Too high of bed (totally fair)
- Bed size (fair for a segment of the market)
- 5th wheel towing (small segment of the market)

What am I missing?

And useful...

- Durable
- Onboard power and air
- Off-road capable (at least on specs)
- Massive towing
- Fast
- Efficient
- 6 passenger capable

Let’s remember that 20% of the pickup market is midsize trucks. Can’t find number on share by bed length, but check out this data...might not fit how you use your truck, but seems like there’s plenty of room for these types of capabilities. Just look anecdotally at the trucks being released: trending toward midsize (or smaller in some cases), luxury and off-road capable.

https://b2b.autotrader.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/PICKUP-TRUCK-STUDY.pdf

Depends on how data is sliced but less than half of trucks have 8’ beds and I believe that drops down to less than 25% once fleet trucks are removed.

Honestly I could see even police departments buying something like this for part of their force.

After owning a stylish MS and Model 3 the pickup truck is a huge departure style-wise. I don’t see us ever owning one but we’re certainly not everyone. Things about it do grow on you if you can get over that it’s not intended to be a pickup truck for everyone. Seems to be a hangup for some commenting I think because how they envision pickups being used for work doesn’t fit with this vehicle. I never thought I would see so many pickup trucks out there on the road as I do, and as commented on already, they are not being used for work.

Lol makes an Aztec look good and that's a tall order.
Yea - sorry - but the Aztec (similarly shaped), was a design that no body wanted, decades ago - and history always repeats - nothing new under the sun. Same with this shape. Heck - even the decades old Stealth fighter now looks dated ... but its surfaces at least serve a purpose - masking radar signature.

lockheed-f117-nighthawk_10.jpg

I forget which EV / wanabe / fail / reveal it was, where the presentation involved a door not opening - and that car never came to production. Mocking laughter was the consensus. This is why manufacturers took years to put stuff in the public eye. It's also why our shiny new Model S didn't make it home some years back, when the air suspension failed. It's also why our Model X body sections were mis-aligned, & why our windshield caused double vision / ghosting, & why the 1/2 shafts shuddered badly, and why dealers just shrugged shoulders for the longest times. etc. Musk - can't live with him, can't live w/out him. (sigh) The only thing equally empathy raising is the huge amount of disagree postings from (fellow) tesla fans - when they (majority / typically) say, "this look - not going to overtake the traditional pickup look" ... or, "makes the Rivian pickup look better". Sure, a minority may like it. But the reason The 3, the S, & the X take away sales, is because they don't over do it ... they just out do it.

When we had to deal w/ way too many defects w/ out 2 Tesla's (to the point we just unloaded them onto 2 different poor unsuspecting souls) i admit i hated Musk for some time. Then it became acceptable. Even with bad feeling - one has to feel sorry for musk with the glass breaking. But really? Many don't live in So Cal, and occasionally have to pass over rivers & such, & if frozen over, one can sile off and into the drink. Now, you can't break the glass. And if battery is on fire? Tell the fireman or bystander to not feel too bad, thru the unbreakable glass. Because you ain't getting out.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
This truck is designed for a tiny sliver of the market. Kind of like the original Hummer.

Imaging that it will develop a following of enthusiasts. Imagine off roading, camping, trailer towing etc.

It does have a large bed. That is what they opened up to hold the ATV. Interesting how the bed cover slides away into the ceiling.

Imagine it will find a market as a portable power station. With 110v, 220v and compressed air.

Won't be long before an RV conversion becomes available.

As with most things Tesla, they will probably sell as fast as they can make them.

Foreign diplomats and politicians will be interested in the bullet resistance aspect. Every Warloard is gonna want a fleet of these.

It's capabilities are far beyond any other pickup, with performance, handling and towing capacity.

It will find it's market. Not gonna see one in typical suburban garages, except for perhaps one in every neighborhood for "that guy"

And how will the "foreign diplomats and politicians" and "warlords" service the truck? The inevitable Tesla QC issues will present themselves and I can't imagine those type of owners willing to play the waiting game and put up with Tesla's incommunicado style of service.

Yea - sorry - but the Aztec (similarly shaped), was a design that no body wanted, decades ago - and history always repeats - nothing new under the sun. Same with this shape. Heck - even the decades old Stealth fighter now looks dated ... but its surfaces at least serve a purpose - masking radar signature.

View attachment 480088

I forget which EV / wanabe / fail / reveal it was, where the presentation involved a door not opening - and that car never came to production. Mocking laughter was the consensus. This is why manufacturers took years to put stuff in the public eye. It's also why our shiny new Model S didn't make it home some years back, when the air suspension failed. It's also why our Model X body sections were mis-aligned, & why our windshield caused double vision / ghosting, & why the 1/2 shafts shuddered badly, and why dealers just shrugged shoulders for the longest times. etc. Musk - can't live with him, can't live w/out him. (sigh) The only thing equally empathy raising is the huge amount of disagree postings from (fellow) tesla fans - when they (majority / typically) say, "this look - not going to overtake the traditional pickup look" ... or, "makes the Rivian pickup look better". Sure, a minority may like it. But the reason The 3, the S, & the X take away sales, is because they don't over do it ... they just out do it.

it’s funny about the comments of the Aztec. I literally was behind one today for several miles. It ain’t no cyber truck. Not even close.

View attachment 480088

Post already reveal here: CyberTruck design

So . . . food for thought. Lots of folks (like me) are having a hard time with the sloped angle of the rear of the Cybertruck and its usefulness as a "pickup." Apparently (perhaps) - Tesla needed that sloped rear to create a "sail pillar" to provide rigidity and strength to allow for the towing capacity. Body on frame truck don't need it because the strength of the truck is in the frame. With a unibody - you need to compensate and prevent twist. The first Honda Ridgelines had a smaller sail pillar - which was eliminated though Honda's incorporation of some box-frame components in the rear of the truck.

So - the "shape" of the truck was necessitated by the desire for a high towing capacity. That makes sense. Some folks believe Tesla might borrow a bit from that redesign and incorporate it into Cybertruck.

Here’s why the Tesla Cybertruck has its crazy look – TechCrunch