Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say...at first I had the same initial ...WTF?!? reaction everyone else did. But by the end of the reveal, it was growing on me. Today, I cant stop thinking about it.

Admittedly, a truck to me is mostly a vehicle that provides good utility, hauling and something fun to drive. Construction?! No thanks. There are plenty of urban cowboys in CA and I'd be one of them.

Now, is Cybertruck justifiable solely for these reasons? Sure. I mean I bought a $100k Model S as a commute car. So I could easily see myself driving a Cybertruck for $50k. It's half the cost!

Getting the wife to agree, different problem.

Plus side is you got about a year at least to figure it out. Put down the hundy!!

Thanks guys, this thread is hilarious!

If they can execute by 2021 as they are saying...this will sell well. No doubt! And by the specs they are bringing new battery tech with the Cybertruck. Bring it!

It's gonna be awesome. Maybe F-150 folks won't buy it. It will not matter.

At $39,900 I'm thinking the fleet buys will be in the tens of thousands. And I'm looking forward to some really cool wraps.

You don't have to like it. There will be plenty of choices by 2022. Ford, GM, Rivian, Lordstown. It's gonna be awesome to see them all competing and squeezing out the gas-powered pickups. ICE pickups RIP.

Hopefully this thing will be able to tow my boat!

Capture.JPG

Thanks guys, this thread is hilarious!

If they can execute by 2021 as they are saying...this will sell well. No doubt! And by the specs they are bringing new battery tech with the Cybertruck. Bring it!

It's gonna be awesome. Maybe F-150 folks won't buy it. It will not matter.

At $39,900 I'm thinking the fleet buys will be in the tens of thousands. And I'm looking forward to some really cool wraps.

You don't have to like it. There will be plenty of choices by 2022. Ford, GM, Rivian, Lordstown. It's gonna be awesome to see them all competing and squeezing out the gas-powered pickups. ICE pickups RIP.
I don’t think Tesla is planning on building many of these hence the intentional weird design. I think that is their intention because they do not have the capacity to meet the model 3 and future Y demand anyway. The market for pickup trucks is about 2.5 million units a year, far beyond Teslas capacity. Tesla services their own vehicles and anyone who has scheduled service knows the system isn’t able to handle current demand efficiently and fleets certainly don’t need that hassle. Gas powered pickups will be here for a long time even after gas cars become the minority.

I have to say...at first I had the same initial ...WTF?!? reaction everyone else did. But by the end of the reveal, it was growing on me. Today, I cant stop thinking about it.

Admittedly, a truck to me is mostly a vehicle that provides good utility, hauling and something fun to drive. Construction?! No thanks. There are plenty of urban cowboys in CA and I'd be one of them.

Now, is Cybertruck justifiable solely for these reasons? Sure. I mean I bought a $100k Model S as a commute car. So I could easily see myself driving a Cybertruck for $50k. It's half the cost!

Getting the wife to agree, different problem.
I pulled it off... she wants a boat and I told her it's cheaper than an F-150... done.

• Funny
Reactions: Vaamo
Honda did it with the second generation Ridgeline which is also a unibody. The first generation had the angled sides and they changed it to the regular flat sides for the second generation. Why? Major customer complaints and low sales. They pointed to the same structural issues as the reason for it in the first gen and then due to pressure they redesigned it to make it work for the second.

Like this. Flatten top, make triangular bed top sides fold into bed or retract into bed bottom sides like the top cover. This will provide a compromise that mostly retains prototype styling and material considerations but addresses some of the style and usage complaints. Just my take on it, of course.

View attachment 480318
100% agree. This would fix almost all my complaints. As of right now the bed has very diminished utility due to the angles rails.

With very little bed utility stock and very little ability to aftermarket up fit, very few fleets are buying this.

• Love
Reactions: keeney
I would have to say I’ve only seen one other car that compares to the thing that Tesla showed last night. If you look close this isn’t actually the Cybertruck but the early prototype of it that was used on Top GearView attachment 480254

Don't know why retards keep posting that stupid picture. Literally has zero in common with the CyberTruck design.

How is this hardened shell going to meet vehicle safety requirements with regard to pedestrians and third parties in case of a collision?

What's the point of these shatter proof windows? To prevent anyone at the site of an accident to pull you from your wrecked car? If you need an armoured car, then buy a professionally made armoured car, with fire suppression systems etc.

Reactions: ricohman
How is this hardened shell going to meet vehicle safety requirements with regard to pedestrians and third parties in case of a collision?

What's the point of these shatter proof windows? To prevent anyone at the site of an accident to pull you from your wrecked car? If you need an armoured car, then buy a professionally made armoured car, with fire suppression systems etc.

I’m sure those questions will be answered in time.

As far as buying an armored car, that’s not feasible for most. However my dad had his window show out when he was driving down the road by some stray bullet. Going through hunting areas can be dangerous. Not to mention when we have those highway shooters every couple years. Granted, doesn’t happen often but If I can get slightly more protection for little cost, great!

Reactions: Watts_Up
Like this. Flatten top, make triangular bed top sides fold into bed or retract into bed bottom sides like the top cover. This will provide a compromise that mostly retains prototype styling and material considerations but addresses some of the style and usage complaints. Just my take on it, of course.

View attachment 480318

Check out the last pic in this article. A little paint may go a long way to change the look. (Usage is another thing, because the sail panels seem structural.)

Tesla Cybertruck: a look at beautiful different colors as Musk confirms matte black - Electrek

credit: I mocked up a matte black section to the rear part of Cybertruck to break up the shape of the tailgate. Opinions? : teslamotors

upload_2019-11-23_7-38-20.jpeg

I'm liking it more and more each day.

Honestly if Tesla simply built an electric F-150 replica I don't think many people would buy it. Most Tesla fans aren't interested in trucks, and most truck fans aren't interested in electric vehicles. A traditional truck design wouldn't offer any major advantages (except the electric powertrain) and will directly compete with the new electric trucks by Rivian, Ford, and GM. So by making the Cybertruck unlike anything else, it may actually convince a lot of traditional truck buyers to reconsider.

You can buy a new electric F-150, or a truck straight out of a madmax movie. Your choice.

I totally like it. It reminds of the designs for Hot Wheels when I was a kid. I want one.

I owned a Toyota Camry for years. It was incredibly annoying to me because it looked like every other car out there. Cybertruck is definitely unique and I would very much enjoy driving down the road with everyone looking at me.

My only critique would be that I’d like a two-door version with a longer bed.

Reactions: tonybelding