Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Week Tesla & Companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
This week's installment inspired by reddit discussion thread. Found it quite insightful as to logic behind why folks are either all in on the rails or skirting outer realms of SpaceX mission impossible cumulative probable possibilities. The company being in the news much lately when successful Zuma launch encounters an anomaly as mysteriously secretive as its mission details. My reaching out to SpaceX media and press manager for comment days following SpaceX President, COO Gwynne Shotwell's response to media speculation results in cone of silence. Shotwell's statement does not appear to have been generated from or be linked to official SpaceX direct source sites. A government contractor agency write up (no longer available) suggests as does most that SpaceX part in Zuma launch mission, particularly first stage was nominal and indeed executed successfully; however, there is question surrounding the second stage separation and refire. Did that have any impact on what may or may not have resulted? Perhaps we will not be able to confirm anything post launch with absolute certainty because of the top secret clearance status assigned to this mission.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk confirmed late yesterday that it plans to launch Falcon Heavy from pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center Cape Canaveral Florida on February 6 with a scrub reattempt date of February 7. Falcon Heavy's static test fire goes well just a few days prior to the official date announcement.

All that being presented for think tank fodder here's my six sense/cents in response to reddit discussion thread questions.

Q. If given the opportunity to invest in SpaceX would you do it? A. Absolutely. You have to broaden "investment" definition to include time materials and knowledge. Not just money.

Q. Why or why not?
A. SpaceX is contributing as a frontrunner to bridging the time gap in U.S. space exploration program as far as returning to the Moon. Establishing a permanent colony/station. Then extending that program to include Mars.

Q.What do you think the future of the company is? A. Extremely challenging missions ahead. It will take continuing partnership with NASA and perhaps other mission focused agencies and companies to ensure U.S. space program objectives are fulfilled. Success equals missions are safe, first and foremost, and cost effective.

Q. What is the endgame for SpaceX (full maturation of the business)? A. I'd say SpaceX could peak with a successful Mars journey to and from. Resulting in at least laying the foundation for first permanent settlement structures. The company will of course need to expand for extending missions beyond Mars into deep space possibilities.

Q. What makes SpaceX superior to its competitors?
A. What the company has going for it is age and size. Younger and smaller in scale compared to other longer more monetarily established companies in the industry. Gift of being a young smaller company is open flexibility to new ideas and ways of accomplishing mission objectives and solving problems encountered in process.

Q. Will SpaceX ever be profitable? A. Long-term - if transcontinental BFR flights become reality will absolutely put the company in a very good place financially. Short-term - increased launch cadence for other companies needing a lift into orbit should sustain SpaceX portfolio. Think out the box how to present their rockets and OTVs as premier choice for space flight. Emphasis on *cost effectiveness*.

Q. Are "company targets" of 15-20B in revenue really possible? A. Long range and given product development progress comes into full fruition. Yes. Any losses will obviously impact overall numbers. Should a loss occur there ought be a contingency plan for rallying mission continuity.

Meanwhile Tesla has been quietly working at rolling out Model 3s. Customers are liking the looks and feels. Taking the time to learn the technology. Becoming responsible Tesla owners.

Wait times are narrowing down. Check your inbox if in queue. Your Model 3 EV configuration invite might be waiting!

Last but certainly not Boring Musk unveils a flamethrower. Follow up to the limited edition company caps. Sad to say no delivery guy will be handing mine off with tunnel digger vehicle key for blind test drive. I honestly thought he was joking about this though. Well, reserve your flame fun gadget while they last! Less than 19k to go round but consider adding the extinguisher to your cart before checkout.

Til next post...