Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Week Tesla & Companies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
Circumspect. Cool word. Certainly a term Tesla seems to be employing when asked to comment on developing it's own Autopilot chip in partnership with AMD. From what I can sketch out, and there are few confirmed details, the electric car manufacturer wants to bring the technology (aka artificial intelligence) used to create chipsets in house. Should this be affirmed by Tesla leadership to be the case? No surprises. The company's safety credibility has been challenged but not injured by questions around autopilot feature. Regretfully those questions escalated with the death of a loyal customer whose Model S crashed into a tractor trailer. Couple that with Tesla front man, Elon Musk's concerns about the deep techness of AI and it makes perfect sense the electric vehicle maker would want to have control over how it's made. Especially considering most Tesla models are already hardwired for full autonomy. Safety is priority. Human lives are the stakes Tesla cannot afford to take the shortest route to development success.

If I might share my even broader vision. In-house autopilot technology might answer a safety question I had as a low vision operator. In the event manual override becomes necessary perhaps there'd be a team of live monitors dedicated specifically to drivers operating autonomous vehicles. Much like security monitoring service centers, Tesla Autonomous Road Monitors would be there in emergency situations. More like Air Traffic Control, T-ARMs are able to go a step further and be the eyes and arms when deploying manual override feature becomes necessary. Using software designed strategically to allow remote operator to steer vehicle safely out of harms way for a full stop. Then assessing situation for further action. Potentially can create additional high tech jobs. Motivation for folks to retrain themselves for careers of the future. Plus. Plus. Plus.

Meanwhile SpaceX with its eyes ever to the sky has requested a trademark patent for its internet satellite company. A logo was filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for SpaceX's Starlink. Far reaching positivity here. Not only does it help solve problem of orbital communication and information access but opens high speed internet connectivity to some on earth who may not have it. By reason of remoteness some rural locales are still in an information technology dark age. A provider like Starlink could cost a little more on average but level and reliability of service will far outweigh a few extra dollars a month. Give or take.

Future appears bright no matter what part of the galaxy you hail. Until next time beam on or up;)

2017-09-24-05-22-56.png

Photo: United States Patent and Trademark Office/Starlink