Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will be an unpopular view but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid Tesla $3k to upgrade my 70D to 75D over the air. 6 months later they dropped the price to $500. I didn't b1tch. I understood that is a risk you take when you buy a depreciating asset. And I didn't buy this depreciating asset because it was wise financially. I bought it to support Tesla's mission and because I like technology, EVs, road trips, and autopilot. I'm willing to take the depreciation hit to enjoy such wonderful technology. Worth every damn penny.

Do people really buy a car and expect it to hold value after you drive it off the lot? I certainly don't. You buy a car to use and drive. The only car I'd buy to hold value would be an exotic or vintage car, NOT a commodity production car like the model 3.

Also many of these people got a $7500 tax credit so they aren't really losing out.
Honestly the tax credit should have covered part of that depreciation. Instead we need to use it to justify the $13,000 in price drops some people have experienced in the last 4-5 months, of course that depends if you look at FSD as having dropped from 8k to 5k or not etc. People are going to be upset when they take the 20% drive off the lot hit plus an additional 20% due to pricing changes.

But I guess that should be expected when buying an american car. They just don't hold their values like hondas and toyotas?

MSRP on a loaded white P3D was $81,000 back in early october
If you bought at the right time it could be had for $58,000 then purchased FSD for 5k so 63,000... Of course this may have changed with the latest updates on FSD fiasco.

Combine this, multiple price fluctuation every month, and people that waiting years to get their cars, or course there are going to be people that are upset. Also upset does not mean entitiled, but I don't know of a single situation in my life where I price on a pre-order did not result in a refund or the difference back, so I can understand why FSD purchasers are upset. This wasn't a sale either, it is the new set price. I think it's pretty rude to generalize and call them entitled. I would be upset too and would have expected $1000 back if not $3000 back, since thats the price being offered to people who did not support tesla by purchasing EAP (clearly one of their best money making products since all cars get the hardware and they just update your software.)

Last edited:
Reactions: more863-also
I completely agree. No regrets with any of my Teslas. But judging by the top posts in various Facebook Tesla groups today, lots of people are crazy pissed about the price drops!

Lots of people are (sadly) crazy pissed at the world right now and look for any chance to take it out on something. My M3P is the best car I have ever driven bar none. I could choose to revel in that or complain about the three pieces of dust in its paint and the fact that EAP / FSD cost someone less than I paid for it. Very easy choice for me...but i consciously choose to be a half-glass-full person. Many don't.

Lots of people are (sadly) crazy pissed at the world right now and look for any chance to take it out on something. My M3P is the best car I have ever driven bar none. I could choose to revel in that or complain about the three pieces of dust in its paint and the fact that EAP / FSD cost someone less than I paid for it. Very easy choice for me...but i consciously choose to be a half-glass-full person. Many don't.
must be nice to only have dust nibs :p, both of the ones offered to me came with door dings, paint chips, paint nibs, fisheyes and one of them scratches down to the metal. Not a great feeling when your spending nearly $80,000 on a car.

I paid Tesla $3k to upgrade my 70D to 75D over the air. 6 months later they dropped the price to $500. I didn't b1tch. I understood that is a risk you take when you buy a depreciating asset. And I didn't buy this depreciating asset because it was wise financially. I bought it to support Tesla's mission and because I like technology, EVs, road trips, and autopilot. I'm willing to take the depreciation hit to enjoy such wonderful technology. Worth every damn penny.
But you got something out of it, you didn't purchase a promise to eventually update your car, you bought the update and it changed your vehicle. Completely different and unrelated to the FSD thing. Also when you purchased for $2500, were you told you needed to do it now or it would cost more later? Price drops happen, usually not as quickly as teslas do, but the FSD thing is different. I don't know if I will buy another tesla I think I'm not rich enough to throw money down the toilet like that, but perhaps things will get better in the future. Almost any other vehicle I purchased would not have dropped in price as quickly.

Last edited:
must be nice to only have dust nibs :p, both of the ones offered to me came with door dings, paint chips, paint nibs, fisheyes and one of them scratches down to the metal. Not a great feeling when your spending nearly $80,000 on a car.

Then just don't buy it. I would definitely not have accepted those issues on a new car and I am 100% certain that Tesla would have allowed me to refuse the car and get me a different one without the issues. That happened to me on my first BMW (way back in 1992). I arrived all excited at the Dealer to pick up my "new baby" and the front bumper was clearly a respray and they did a terrible job of matching the Boston Green metallic paint. Very simple solution -- "get me another car, I am not accepting this." And they did. Took about a week.

But you got something out of it, you didn't purchase a promise to eventually update your car, you bought the update and it changed your vehicle.
Then just don't buy it. I would definitely not have accepted those issues on a new car and I am 100% certain that Tesla would have allowed me to refuse the car and get me a different one without the issues. That happened to me on my first BMW (way back in 1992). I arrived all excited at the Dealer to pick up my "new baby" and the front bumper was clearly a respray and they did a terrible job of matching the Boston Green metallic paint. Very simple solution -- "get me another car, I am not accepting this." And they did. Took about a week.
I did reject the first one, and the second car was only slightly better. At that time I had already sold my car and needed a replacement, my loan was offer was also expiring, and rates were going up. Getting a 3rd car sounded like it was going to be another month out. It's not as simple as "don't buy it go get one from a different lot". I had also been waiting on it for over a year, and they had my deposit. Your forgetting how long the wait was back in September for an additional car. it was not "weeks out".

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

I did reject the first one, and the second car was only slightly better. At that time I had already sold my car and needed a replacement, my loan was offer was also expiring, and rates were going up. Getting a 3rd car sounded like it was going to be another month out. It's not as simple as "don't buy it go get one from a different lot". I had also been waiting on it for over a year, and they had my deposit. Your forgetting how long the wait was back in September for an additional car. it was not "weeks out".

I get it, but then you voted with your action to buy the car and at that point in time you balanced all of your personal variables (loan offer expiring, rates going up, waiting for another car, etc.) and "hit the bid," no one forced you to do that -- it was a personal choice. Once you bought the car with those issues I am not really sure how you take issue with Tesla. You could have walked. If the issues bothered me I would have. But if I decided to take the car I would have negotiated "make goods" that I felt balanced out the issues in terms of value and then you'd never find me complaining about Tesla. I would have got what i bargained for.

Said it before and I'll say it again.
Everyone on your street that bought a F-150, a Ford Edge, Chevy Traverse, or Honda Accord... or whatever is popular nowadays, they all paid wildly different prices and some of them are the exact same config.

Yup my car is somewhere between $3-4k cheaper now. Oh well, I still love it, and would pay the same price again if I had to.

As the master of unpopular opinions around here, I can say that although I understand the reason for Tesla to be constantly upselling us, I do not like it. Case in point - the pearl white paint that my 3 LR RWD was made with cost me $1000 last May, and now it is $2000. What changed in the paint, or did Tesla just realize they could grab more money from people who did not want an ugly black car?
White cars are for women. Just like white iPhones. But I'm glad you're willing to give Tesla more money so you can show your feminine side.

Initially I was a little upset that I paid $49,000+ for the LR RWD Model 3 after seeing the price drop. However, I believe in what Tesla is doing and want to support their vision! There is something to say that after buying this vehicle we have all received software upgrades that have improved software bugs and have added "extra" security to the car, all for $0! Plus, we're getting more of a range/power upgrade soon as well as a discount on purchasing autopilot if you didn't purchase it initially with the car (see photo). What other car manufacturer would do this the initial purchase? Hoping more people buy Model 3s so that Tesla will have to improve service and parts!

Attachments

• IMG_7258.JPG
    IMG_7258.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: UngaBunga1989
I completely agree. No regrets with any of my Teslas. But judging by the top posts in various Facebook Tesla groups today, lots of people are crazy pissed about the price drops!
Mostly because FSD hasn’t rolled out yet. The premise was that we all pay the same price but now, before FSD rollout, some have paid $2K more for the same software. It’s disappointing.

Mostly because FSD hasn’t rolled out yet. The premise was that we all pay the same price but now, before FSD rollout, some have paid $2K more for the same software. It’s disappointing.

Agreed. That’s the hardest to swallow of the recent changes and it’s actually $3k (I paid $8k upfront for EAP and FSD but now people who didn’t buy any AP features can get it for $5k). That said, I’m not mad. I understand the arguments about FSD being a preorder and nothing from the original FSD feature set has been released. I would like some sort of token of appreciation (more than just early access), but I expect nothing and the recent pricing changes don’t affect how I recommend Tesla to friends and family.

I get it, but then you voted with your action to buy the car and at that point in time you balanced all of your personal variables (loan offer expiring, rates going up, waiting for another car, etc.) and "hit the bid," no one forced you to do that -- it was a personal choice. Once you bought the car with those issues I am not really sure how you take issue with Tesla. You could have walked. If the issues bothered me I would have. But if I decided to take the car I would have negotiated "make goods" that I felt balanced out the issues in terms of value and then you'd never find me complaining about Tesla. I would have got what i bargained for.
Yes I had no idea what a messy situation I was headed into. There was no way I would have known it would take 6 weeks to get my car back and then another 6 or more service center visits to fix so the issues cause by fixing the original issues. They gave me back the car with a crooked truck and told me it was to spec for example. They had evened the panel gaps, but then the trunk was higher on one side then the other. They were not going to fix it until I requested a buyback. then after they fixed it, I had to take it in for trunk rattle where they fixed broken clips that probably happened when fixing the trunk alignment. Then it went back in several more times... Meanwhile the price of my car dropped significantly and everyone just tells me to enjoy the car lol. Finally a week ago most of my delivery issues are solved, except for some panel damage, a week seat motor and floor update no one has received yet...

Point being that not everyone has had the same experiences and it hurts to buy a car then have it sit for 6 weeks at a shop while the price continues drop off the msrp. In the end they made things right but i still think it's bs to offer fsd for 5k to those who didn't purchase it, while others got it for a discounted 8k but only if they purchased with the car. Not because if the price difference, but because it's pre-order feature!

White cars are for women. Just like white iPhones. But I'm glad you're willing to give Tesla more money so you can show your feminine side.

Wow. Seems the majority of Tesla buyers are women then and the others that are buying black cars are over compensating. Seems those buying grey are the most secure.

Yes I had no idea what a messy situation I was headed into. There was no way I would have known it would take 6 weeks to get my car back and then another 6 or more service center visits to fix so the issues cause by fixing the original issues. They gave me back the car with a crooked truck and told me it was to spec for example. They had evened the panel gaps, but then the trunk was higher on one side then the other. They were not going to fix it until I requested a buyback. then after they fixed it, I had to take it in for trunk rattle where they fixed broken clips that probably happened when fixing the trunk alignment. Then it went back in several more times... Meanwhile the price of my car dropped significantly and everyone just tells me to enjoy the car lol. Finally a week ago most of my delivery issues are solved, except for some panel damage, a week seat motor and floor update no one has received yet...

Point being that not everyone has had the same experiences and it hurts to buy a car then have it sit for 6 weeks at a shop while the price continues drop off the msrp. In the end they made things right but i still think it's bs to offer fsd for 5k to those who didn't purchase it, while others got it for a discounted 8k but only if they purchased with the car. Not because if the price difference, but because it's pre-order feature!

That sounds pretty bad. I have an Oct build and have been in for a few visits. New dash, new steering wheel, new turn signal, new passenger seat, some other minor issues and paint issues.

As the master of unpopular opinions around here, I can say that although I understand the reason for Tesla to be constantly upselling us, I do not like it. Case in point - the pearl white paint that my 3 LR RWD was made with cost me $1000 last May, and now it is $2000. What changed in the paint, or did Tesla just realize they could grab more money from people who did not want an ugly black car?

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it!

The amount of entitlement these days is astounding!

Initially I was a little upset that I paid $49,000+ for the LR RWD Model 3 after seeing the price drop. However, I believe in what Tesla is doing and want to support their vision! There is something to say that after buying this vehicle we have all received software upgrades that have improved software bugs and have added "extra" security to the car, all for $0! Plus, we're getting more of a range/power upgrade soon as well as a discount on purchasing autopilot if you didn't purchase it initially with the car (see photo). What other car manufacturer would do this the initial purchase? Hoping more people buy Model 3s so that Tesla will have to improve service and parts!

I'd be fine with it too if I could get the useful.parts of EAP for $3k less.

Oh and Stealthpeed, I'd say taking its pretty entitled to go around telling other owners that they're not allowed to have opinions of their own.

That sucks. I am sorry that you went through that.