Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will stir things up if approved - California's Proposal to Ban New Gas Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From today's news here in California:
California’s clean-air regulators Wednesday unveiled a far-reaching proposal requiring a ramp-up in sales of zero-emission cars, culminating in a ban on new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

If adopted by the California Air Resources Board this summer, the regulations will be the first of their kind in the world and could pave the way for nationwide standards. At least 15 other states pledged to follow California’s lead on car standards on previous clean-car rules, and the federal government usually follows.

Charging_a_tesla_car.JPG

("Charging a Tesla car.JPG" by Jeffrey Beall is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Socal and the SF bay area felt too crowded pre-pandemic, like they were bursting at the seams. Trying to get around was nuts and everyone was constantly talking about their housing + commute issues. If the people who didn't really want to live in CA are leaving that seems like a good thing for everyone, no?

The weather and outdoors and coastal stuff in California seems attractive enough that it's not like the place will be abandoned. It's more a matter of how much people are willing to pay. The cost was getting crazy from what I saw. Texas is cheaper and has its benefits but also drawbacks at least in the big metro areas. Rebalancing some population towards cheaper places makes sense and I don't think is an issue. Especially with lots of office workers at home permanently now, if you're gonna do that and stay home all day might as well move someplace where you can buy a big home for less than $2 million dollars or whatever in California. I still like CA very much, just the cost is way up there.

As for ICE ban, personally I don't think it makes sense to 100% ban ICE everywhere, but for cities and urban areas we should. There's no reason why we should still put up with ICE pollution and idling truck diesels and such in cities in 2035. Let's save the dino fuel and emissions for where it's most useful and needed.

I personally know two families that went to TX ( Austin) and in less than a year came back to CA after being subjected to the "we dont want your kind around here".. they didnt much care for being on the receiving side of that. Moving is not a cure all be all that many claim it is. It might work depending on why.. but every place has it's own issues. You just pick and choose which you can live with.

I think would work better if more just would help and fix the issues instead of whining about them and stomping their feet. My wife and I are active on the local school board and trying get any kind of improvements in place is just a slugfest. Nobody wants to be involved other than bitching how bad everything is. And they certainly dont want to pay for anything.. even less so if their kids are out of the school. Its the old "whats in it for me".. helping society just doesn't do it anymore.

I personally know two families that went to TX ( Austin) and in less than a year came back to CA after being subjected to the "we dont want your kind around here".. they didnt much care for being on the receiving side of that. Moving is not a cure all be all that many claim it is. It might work depending on why.. but every place has it's own issues. You just pick and choose which you can live with.

I think would work better if more just would help and fix the issues instead of whining about them and stomping their feet. My wife and I are active on the local school board and trying get any kind of improvements in place is just a slugfest. Nobody wants to be involved other than bitching how bad everything is. And they certainly dont want to pay for anything.. even less so if their kids are out of the school. Its the old "whats in it for me".. helping society just doesn't do it anymore.
Brother been there like 7 yrs no prob...I think the problem would be if you were far left politically.

Socal and the SF bay area felt too crowded pre-pandemic, like they were bursting at the seams. Trying to get around was nuts and everyone was constantly talking about their housing + commute issues. If the people who didn't really want to live in CA are leaving that seems like a good thing for everyone, no?

The weather and outdoors and coastal stuff in California seems attractive enough that it's not like the place will be abandoned. It's more a matter of how much people are willing to pay. The cost was getting crazy from what I saw. Texas is cheaper and has its benefits but also drawbacks at least in the big metro areas. Rebalancing some population towards cheaper places makes sense and I don't think is an issue. Especially with lots of office workers at home permanently now, if you're gonna do that and stay home all day might as well move someplace where you can buy a big home for less than $2 million dollars or whatever in California. I still like CA very much, just the cost is way up there.

As for ICE ban, personally I don't think it makes sense to 100% ban ICE everywhere, but for cities and urban areas we should. There's no reason why we should still put up with ICE pollution and idling truck diesels and such in cities in 2035. Let's save the dino fuel and emissions for where it's most useful and needed.
And my son is dying to move to San Diego because it's cheaper than Burlington, Vermont.

Just watched an Autoline Daily video of GM President and even Gm has come a long way in shifting attitudes and plans about EV’s. By 2035, EV’s will have taken over even without bans and you would be stupid to buy an ice by then. Only thing may be trucks that tow long distance at highway speeds, and that would depend on battery tech not improving.

And my son is dying to move to San Diego because it's cheaper than Burlington, Vermont.

Too late. I moved to SD in 2017. Home and rent prices have been going up since 2018. People in SF Bay Area and LA has found "cheaper" and more beautiful place to live.

My home cost $1mil in 2017, and is now worth more than $2mil. Rent was $1000 in "up and coming neighborhood" for a 2hd/1bath, now cost $2000+.

Locals are moving to LV, Texas, or Arizona.

Reactions: SWIPE
Too late. I moved to SD in 2017. Home and rent prices have been going up since 2018. People in SF Bay Area and LA has found "cheaper" and more beautiful place to live.

My home cost $1mil in 2017, and is now worth more than $2mil. Rent was $1000 in "up and coming neighborhood" for a 2hd/1bath, now cost $2000+.

Locals are moving to LV, Texas, or Arizona.
Good to hear. He's a nurse so he's got options. He's done with winter/mud season.

Im the last of my family left in California, and last of my close friends now that the rest moved to Texas...
That's ironic now that Tesla is going to take over Texas haha. I think that was Elons plan could you imagine when Texans get the taste for EV's they're fast and cheap to fuel. It's all over for Ice cars.

1650066777699.png

Last edited:
Honestly I don't care if the cars run on air as long as you can still keep them fun. I was going to say that there should be some allowance for ICE pleasure vehicles a few weekend blasts aren't going to kill the planet. But honestly if the demand for gas stations goes away and they all close down there will be no place to power them. Unlike EV's I can't make my own gas easily.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I thought this was already a thing? Either way its stupid and not at all thoroughly studied.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the deadline gets pushed multiple times.

California is either completely corrupt when it comes to elections or it’s filled with masochists that love to get colonoscopies without sedation.

Make them work for you then.

I got a rental property. Dang, their corrupt laws make rent prices sky rocket especially with rent control and other stupid stuffs. You know why? It screwed enough landlords and get out. Making supply even worse.

I try to take care of my tenants, but they know I have to raise their rent because I will be f$#@ if I don't when I sell.