Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will stir things up if approved - California's Proposal to Ban New Gas Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From today's news here in California:
California’s clean-air regulators Wednesday unveiled a far-reaching proposal requiring a ramp-up in sales of zero-emission cars, culminating in a ban on new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

If adopted by the California Air Resources Board this summer, the regulations will be the first of their kind in the world and could pave the way for nationwide standards. At least 15 other states pledged to follow California’s lead on car standards on previous clean-car rules, and the federal government usually follows.

Charging_a_tesla_car.JPG

("Charging a Tesla car.JPG" by Jeffrey Beall is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally know two families that went to TX ( Austin) and in less than a year came back to CA after being subjected to the "we dont want your kind around here".. they didnt much care for being on the receiving side of that. Moving is not a cure all be all that many claim it is. It might work depending on why.. but every place has it's own issues. You just pick and choose which you can live with.

I think would work better if more just would help and fix the issues instead of whining about them and stomping their feet. My wife and I are active on the local school board and trying get any kind of improvements in place is just a slugfest. Nobody wants to be involved other than bitching how bad everything is. And they certainly dont want to pay for anything.. even less so if their kids are out of the school. Its the old "whats in it for me".. helping society just doesn't do it anymore.
I don't get it... Austin is the most liberal city in TX!

From today's news here in California:
California’s clean-air regulators Wednesday unveiled a far-reaching proposal requiring a ramp-up in sales of zero-emission cars, culminating in a ban on new gasoline-powered cars by 2035.

If adopted by the California Air Resources Board this summer, the regulations will be the first of their kind in the world and could pave the way for nationwide standards. At least 15 other states pledged to follow California’s lead on car standards on previous clean-car rules, and the federal government usually follows.

View attachment 794029

("Charging a Tesla car.JPG" by Jeffrey Beall is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)
UK has this from 2030.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Socal and the SF bay area felt too crowded pre-pandemic, like they were bursting at the seams. Trying to get around was nuts and everyone was constantly talking about their housing + commute issues. If the people who didn't really want to live in CA are leaving that seems like a good thing for everyone, no?

The weather and outdoors and coastal stuff in California seems attractive enough that it's not like the place will be abandoned. It's more a matter of how much people are willing to pay. The cost was getting crazy from what I saw. Texas is cheaper and has its benefits but also drawbacks at least in the big metro areas. Rebalancing some population towards cheaper places makes sense and I don't think is an issue. Especially with lots of office workers at home permanently now, if you're gonna do that and stay home all day might as well move someplace where you can buy a big home for less than $2 million dollars or whatever in California. I still like CA very much, just the cost is way up there.

As for ICE ban, personally I don't think it makes sense to 100% ban ICE everywhere, but for cities and urban areas we should. There's no reason why we should still put up with ICE pollution and idling truck diesels and such in cities in 2035. Let's save the dino fuel and emissions for where it's most useful and needed.
Please remember. - this is to buy and register NEW vehicles. Not a blanket ban

Canada is also 2035

California only seems avant-garde because the rest of the country is so behind.

Most likely 100% EV will never be achieved. That being said, it's a good way to Osborne ICE cars which is a good thing. The biggest issue is that until we see $25K EV, the goal is unachievable. Cheapest decent EV today is probably $40K and that won't for everyone.

Most of you are talking as if it’s a ban on ICE vehicles on roads, but it is rather for a new vehicle purchases, I don’t believe all ICE vehicles will be gone in 10 years, so all problems you mentioned like there will be no gas stations etc is not valid, there is still hybrid cars that will be allowed to be purchased and will be still a lot of old cars as well.. What about people that move from other states and change car registration? They will be on roads as well.

What is the purpose of trying to ban sales of new ICE vehicles? Isn't the idea to stop people from driving them, regardless of whether they are old or now? They should just put a heavy tax on motor vehicle fuel that makes people not want to drive ICE cars anymore, and use the money to fund charging stations.

Reactions: tm1v2
What is the purpose of trying to ban sales of new ICE vehicles? Isn't the idea to stop people from driving them, regardless of whether they are old or now? They should just put a heavy tax on motor vehicle fuel that makes people not want to drive ICE cars anymore, and use the money to fund charging stations.
That is how it works in London and other bigger European cities, if you want to drive in the city center you pay the amount that depends on how bad your vehicle emission is.

Texas is cheaper and has its benefits but also drawbacks at least in the big metro areas. Rebalancing some population towards cheaper places makes sense and I don't think is an issue. Especially with lots of office workers at home permanently now, if you're gonna do that and stay home all day might as well move someplace where you can buy a big home for less than $2 million dollars or whatever in California. I still like CA very much, just the cost is way up there.

No one needs a "big home". Sure, they THINK they do, and they pay big bucks for thinking that, but kids do not need their own rooms (they can share) nor do they need a huge separate room for TV, or dining, or, or, or. People have gotten used to living in 4000 sq ft or more, and it's entirely unnecessary. My two brothers and I grew up in a small 3 bedroom place ( as I recall it was about 1200 sq ft) and managed just fine. Of course, we interacted with each other and liked each other and played with each other and spent a lot of time with neighbor kids and hiking and biking all over the place. Mom and Dad worked full time, but we were together every evening and went to church every weekend and went to the ocean to swim every week in the summer after Mom came home (often got to the beach after sundown). Can't say we suffered, and probably were better off for it. Big homes just allow for the family to hide from each other.
The cost is "way up there" because people think an expensive home is good. It's not. It's just an expensive way to live separate lives.

I thought this was already a thing? Either way its stupid and not at all thoroughly studied.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the deadline gets pushed multiple times.

California is either completely corrupt when it comes to elections or it’s filled with masochists that love to get colonoscopies without sedation.
It's not stupid, if anything it's late. Meanwhile, our forests can continue to burn down because of climate change and legal monopoly power companies like PGE who only care about their profits.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zorg and AMPd
My concern with this is that mandating EV's/banning combustion engines in isolation, without looking at energy generation and consumption as a whole, runs the risk of creating a whole new set of problems (you know - the ones that EV naysayers like to scare people with, like the power grid being unable to cope) that don't need to happen, but absolutely CAN happen if we don't develop a comprehensive, holistic plan.

Yes, ultimately we need to move more of our energy sources to electricity instead of combustion, and continue to green up our electricity generation - and we also need to make sure that during this transition we can keep the lights on for everyone, all day, every day.

My concern is that we end up doing the metaphorical equivalent of building a 2-legged table - we push people over to EV's and heat pumps over ICE and gas furnaces, but we don't build out power generation/energy storage, etc. to keep pace with it, in which case we're in for a world of hurt.

We have a home in Austin, and that housing market is as crazy as anything you see in the Bay Area or LA. If you look at online sites, be sure you can afford 20-30% more than the asking price. And be willing to waive inspections, financing availability, and most other contingencies. Also, cash is king.

It's not stupid, if anything it's late. Meanwhile, our forests can continue to burn down because of climate change and legal monopoly power companies like PGE who only care about their profits.

Nope it’s stupid, it’s going to create more issues than it solves, which actually is not surprising because you know … California … the land of 1 step forward 5 steps back.

It’s all good though, I just hope I’ll be alive to watch the *sugar* show from afar.