Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoroughly impressed [with my model 3 LR]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to say how completely and thoroughly impressed I am with my M3LR. I've had it almost a week, and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm well aware I'm still in the honeymoon period, and I'm not considering this any kind of long term review. I just keep finding excuses to go for drives, and keep coming back even more amazed. What an enormous step up from my previous car. Rides better, much quieter, better sound system, better features, more comfortable seats, everything. And the speed is intoxicating. Even without flooring it, there is ample oomph to get ahead of traffic or into any gap I want. Now all I want to do is take a long road trip!

I'm on board with your impression after 1 yr and 11K miles, but would moderate my praise only by noting that NOT the best car for cross-country unless the trip is planned as being part of the fun; need to charge to often and too long to be truly competitive with ICE if main object is to get to destination ASAP and with minimum fuss (I have M3P, may be somewhat better with AWD.) Still trying to get ride and handling to match the powertrain (a tall order!) but with Mountain Pass sport coilovers (Migha shoulda gone with comfort), have yet to fix rocking horse, or pitching, motions on some highway surfaces. Still, for city/suburban driving, everything else screams DINOSAUR!

I'm on board with your impression after 1 yr and 11K miles, but would moderate my praise only by noting that NOT the best car for cross-country unless the trip is planned as being part of the fun; need to charge to often and too long to be truly competitive with ICE if main object is to get to destination ASAP and with minimum fuss (I have M3P, may be somewhat better with AWD.)
One thing that balances out having to spend more time charging is I’m willing to drive a lot longer in a day, compared to an ICE car. I also plan my charging stops during comfort breaks and meals so I’m getting a long charge while I eat or hit a grocery store. It just takes a little more planning (ABRP and Tesla.com/findus) but I love the planning and daydreaming about driving my Tesla.

Reactions: Mosby
I'm on board with your impression after 1 yr and 11K miles, but would moderate my praise only by noting that NOT the best car for cross-country unless the trip is planned as being part of the fun; need to charge to often and too long to be truly competitive with ICE if main object is to get to destination ASAP and with minimum fuss (I have M3P, may be somewhat better with AWD.) Still trying to get ride and handling to match the powertrain (a tall order!) but with Mountain Pass sport coilovers (Migha shoulda gone with comfort), have yet to fix rocking horse, or pitching, motions on some highway surfaces. Still, for city/suburban driving, everything else screams DINOSAUR!

I’ve been on many long distance trips, and I’ve found the opposite. I would never do long distance in a regular car again.
I always found I was ready to stop before my car needed charging.

Also, enjoyment, ease of driving, all adds up to a must on long trips for me.
I would be miserable if I had to take a long trip in a gas car now. :)

For six months after I got my Model 3, my wife would call me and ask "where are you?". My answer was invariably "Just out driving around". Then she learned to use the "Location" feature in the Tesla app, and she no longer bothers asking.
Driving in the Model 3 is simply soothing for me. I laugh at riced-out Subaru's that pass me with farting exhausts, knowing that a spasm in my right leg would be sufficient to silently embarass them. I love the sound system, which is simply remarkable - when I really want to be impressed, I crank it all the way up, which adds an octave of bass with the whole system flat, clear, and sharp. I look at the clean, austere dash, which does a remarkable job of reducing stress while driving because everything you need to do is under one of your thumbs. I love the quiet; I love the instant acceleration (need to pass on a two-lane highway? No problem). I love EAP on long drives - did 500 miles yesterday, and finished fresh as a daisy because I didn't need to spend 8 hours constantly adjusting lane position and speed.

Just keep grinning. If you're not grinning, go driving and put your right foot on the floor for a couple of seconds.

need to charge to often and too long to be truly competitive with ICE if main object is to get to destination ASAP and with minimum fuss
I'll agree with you; driving 350 miles to visit my Mother isn't as convenient in my Model 3 as it is in an ICE. In an ICE, it's spend 5 minutes filling up at the local gas station, drive 4.5 hours, and walk in her front door. Fill up again before leaving, drive 4.5 hours, walk into my front door. With my Model 3 LR RWD, it's about 1.5 hours longer round trip because I need three charging stops. It's an easier drive on the Tesla, but it takes longer. For the three-four times a year I do it, the tradeoff over the year is vastly in favor of the Tesla over the ICE.

I think it depends how you do your long drives. In an ICE i never drive longer than 350km (220miles) and often less because someone needs to pee, is hungry or I need fuel. While I stop, my car now charges, I don't need to stand outside in the cold/wind/rain for 5min. I grab a bite and by the time I'm back to my car, it has roughly enough energy for the next stop. For me this works well, and as the OP I'm still in love with the car after 1+ year.
If you have a bladder of steel and can drive 600km (375miles) or more without stopping, then you might find the charging stops cumbersome.

I'm on board with your impression after 1 yr and 11K miles, but would moderate my praise only by noting that NOT the best car for cross-country unless the trip is planned as being part of the fun; need to charge to often and too long ...
Since a 3 has over 300 miles of range, one could start out with a full battery, drive til noonish, enjoy a restaurant while you charge, drive till supper, eat, and drive to the motel. Superchargers are often near hotels and restaurants. Yes, you have to plan, which is something not required with gas cars, but it is easily done. Now, with my Model S and 400 miles of range, I never even think about it.

I find just the same, I don't want to sit in a car for 4-5 hours straight and have to drive myself. My model 3 Performance has already gone over 10k on road trips just in the last couple years. In 2.5 years I have put 66k miles on mine!

I much prefer the 2-3 hour jumps, then get out and take a walk, or take our electric scooters around to a local sight is a fun diversion. It makes the trip much more enjoyable, even if it does take longer I agree. I installed a stealth hitch so I can carry a little cargo rack, where the scooters live when folded down.

I am planning another 2 week 8k mile road trip from Santa Cruz to New York and back next month and would not dream of doing this in an ICE car without autopilot.

Reactions: alloverx
Since a 3 has over 300 miles of range, one could start out with a full battery, drive til noonish, enjoy a restaurant while you charge, drive till supper, eat, and drive to the motel. Superchargers are often near hotels and restaurants. Yes, you have to plan, which is something not required with gas cars, but it is easily done. Now, with my Model S and 400 miles of range, I never even think about it.
Funny thing is that for me most of the time, the car charges too fast for me to sit down at a restaurant for a meal. If anything in those circumstances, it almost charges too fast! :)

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart