Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those “cheap tires” review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-a...hguid=2b148ed8-bcb-16cf085f146372&athena=true

Price appears to have gone up just a little, but still pretty close.

A little pricier option below....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&tireModel=Azenis+FK510&partnum=435YR8FK510XL

Don't know about this company, but found these options at under $500 for the set of 245/35/21

Catalog

Another under $500 option from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Lexani-LX-TW...res+245+35+21&qid=1567403759&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Aside from these, just do an internet search for 245/35/21 tires and see what comes up. Plenty of options for tires under $600 and quite few for tires under $500
I don't think those tires you linked have the proper load rating for a Model S.

Alright, I hate to revive this landmine of a topic, but I have to.

I have Lexani LX-Twenty tires on my S P90D. Disclaimer - I have 22s on my car, so it's 245/30/22 and 295/25/22. I was attracted to not having to pay $1500 for a set of tires that last 15k miles.

But, the Lexani tires only lasted 700 miles.

Bands broke in both the front two tires, and I got a huge bubble on one of the rears. So, they were dead. Interestingly, I did not have any bubble issues with the Pirelli's I had on before, and they have a lower load rating. (92 vs 95)

There's a lot of question on safety with cheap tires made in Thailand and other places, but my big concern is with its ability to handle INSTANT TORQUE. I'm confident the bubble was from a pot hole or something, but I wonder if the bands in the front tires broke due to the torque load from Ludicrous Launches.

With that said, I'm going back to Pirelli's, because this is a huge headache and it's not worth the savings.

TireRack $730

VREDESTEIN
QUATRAC PRO
Grand Touring All-Season
  • Size: 245/35R21 96Y XL
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Load Range: XLMax. Load= 1,565 lbs
    Max psi= 51 psi
  • Serv. Desc: 96YLoad Index 96= 1,565 lbs (710 kg) per tire
    Speed Rating = 186 mph (300 kph)" i
  • UTQG: 400
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A"
  • Severe Snow Service Rated

My car has 22s, but the cheap Lexani tires I purchased were 95Y XL rated (40 lbs difference, so meh), one broke a band, the other got a bubble.

Lexani tires are one of the worse tires I have had on any vehicle. Happy wo hear nothing serious happened with them. That could of been catastrophic. Pirelli are great tires. I specifically only run Continental tires. For this very reason. Specifically made for performance electric vehicles. I know I know.... They are a fair bit of money.... bet people need to stop cheaping out on tires. After all thats the only maintenance you really have to do.

Electric vehicle tires | Continental tires

Lexani tires are one of the worse tires I have had on any vehicle. Happy wo hear nothing serious happened with them. That could of been catastrophic. Pirelli are great tires. I specifically only run Continental tires. For this very reason. Specifically made for performance electric vehicles. I know I know.... They are a fair bit of money.... bet people need to stop cheaping out on tires. After all thats the only maintenance you really have to do.

Electric vehicle tires | Continental tires

I'm actually considering going 255/30/22 and 285/30/22 on my 9x22 and 10.5x22 Vossens, to get a little more load rating. That's 10mm narrower than I had on the back before, not sure how that'll look, but I'd like to avoid bending rims!

Anyway, if I do that, I'm going with Continentals. I had them on my E39 M5 and loved them.

I'm actually considering going 255/30/22 and 285/30/22 on my 9x22 and 10.5x22 Vossens, to get a little more load rating. That's 10mm narrower than I had on the back before, not sure how that'll look, but I'd like to avoid bending rims!

Anyway, if I do that, I'm going with Continentals. I had them on my E39 M5 and loved them.
Running similar setup with 21s
20200508_122704.jpg

FWIW There are now more options for "performance" all-season tires for the oem staggered 21" Tesla wheels such as Arachnids. I have not tried any of these out but will be swapping later in the winter months. Not so much snow in the high desert of SoCal but temp definitely gets into the lower 20 degrees mark and I dont want the summer tires hardening on me.

https://www.americastire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/245-35-21/rear/265-35-21?q=:bestSeller-asc:tireCategory:allSeasonTires&sort=bestSeller-asc&page=0

I only have experience with one tire out of the group on my previous Audi. The Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+ arent a bad tire. Not sure how they would be on a Tesla but they have the same specs as the stock tires and you are only looking at 1K or so. There is also a Michelin offering in the Pilot Sport All Season 4 and they will run approx 1.5k. May be worth looking into

Yep. Thank God the Teslas don't take oil.
It's a shame there aren't standardised specifications to allow objective comparison.
eg forward/lateral grip in Newtons with a standard weight on some standardised surface in wet and dry. Even road noise could be quantified on standard surfaces.

I'm OK with cheap tires if they have the same performance characteristics, but there is no way of knowing! I'm sure I overspend on tires because I need to overshoot on price to make sure I'm getting good ones.