Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those cones doe!

Traffic cones on software version 36.2.1:

• I have HW3 and FSD purchased and my car visualizes cones

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I have HW3 and FSD purchased and my car does not visualize cones

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have HW2.5 and FSD purchased and my car visualizes cones

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I have HW2.5 and FSD purchased and my car does not visualize cones

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I have HW3 without FSD purchased, and my car visualizes cones

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • I have HW3 without FSD purchased, and my car does not visualize cones

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have HW2.5 without FSD purchased, and my car visualizes cones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have HW2.5 without FSD purchased, and my car does not visualize cones

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there's lots of interspersed discussion about traffic cone visualization with the new software rollout, but there doesn't appear to be a master thread to discuss this aspect specifically. I'm curious to find proof of one particular configuration that results in the cone visualization: do you need HW3? do you need FSD software purchase? what combination is required? I know nobody "knows" for sure that their car has HW3 unless you've torn it apart and found the part number of the chip (ie I'm pretty sure I got a 2.5 car despite a May manufacture date, but I'm not ready to tear things apart to prove anything). Regardless, this might be a good way to figure out if you have the HW3 chip, but only if we can find evidence/proof that you require HW3 with or without FSD to see the cones... maybe you only need to have bought FSD and not have HW3... maybe you only need HW3 and not have FSD... only one way to find out: vote!!

So there's lots of interspersed discussion about traffic cone visualization with the new software rollout, but there doesn't appear to be a master thread to discuss this aspect specifically. I'm curious to find proof of one particular configuration that results in the cone visualization: do you need HW3? do you need FSD software purchase? what combination is required? I know nobody "knows" for sure that their car has HW3 unless you've torn it apart and found the part number of the chip (ie I'm pretty sure I got a 2.5 car despite a May manufacture date, but I'm not ready to tear things apart to prove anything). Regardless, this might be a good way to figure out if you have the HW3 chip, but only if we can find evidence/proof that you require HW3 with or without FSD to see the cones... maybe you only need to have bought FSD and not have HW3... maybe you only need HW3 and not have FSD... only one way to find out: vote!!

I had 3 different construction zones all with cones and I have 2.5. There is my spec from my car with verified APH3 which is hardware 2.5

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
Where did you get that data? Tesla has not been providing accurate codes for a while. When was your Tesla made?

that’s from my sales rep, I have heard that they have not properly coding info. Later today I will visually check computer to see. Car is from June 2019 and was told straight from delivery center that they are continuing to install leftovers 2.5 computer in remaining builds and that’s why I had a June build yet 2.5 hardware

the unanswered question is are the two FSD HW2.5 cars that do visualize cones pre or post raven?

I got the upgrade yesterday and I am about to test my late March 2019 MS 100D with FSD and what I believe is HW2.5 according to the VIN. My car is pre raven

Today I installed 36.2.1 in my pre raven MS 100D FSD. I have HW2.5 and I definitely see bright orange traffic cones. All other visualizations are better as well. Also, I notice an extra loud chime when reversing out of my rather tight garage door...

These are supposedly HW3 indicators but I am sure I have HW2.5 because I have a service appointment scheduled to upgrade. I just received a second confirmation text that they will do the upgrade at my house next week and that I will be receiving a software update a day or so before and NOT to install it.

Today I installed 36.2.1 in my pre raven MS 100D FSD. I have HW2.5 and I definitely see bright orange traffic cones. All other visualizations are better as well. Also, I notice an extra loud chime when reversing out of my rather tight garage door...

These are supposedly HW3 indicators but I am sure I have HW2.5 because I have a service appointment scheduled to upgrade. I just received a second confirmation text that they will do the upgrade at my house next week and that I will be receiving a software update a day or so before and NOT to install it.
Out of curiosity, when was your car built?

So it appears all HW3 cars regardless of software options will visualize the traffic cones. I find it interesting that there are a few HW2.5 with FSD that say their cars do and do not visualize cones... 2 possibilities that I see: some of those who think they have HW2.5 actually have HW3, or those with HW2.5 and FSD have just not had their car visualize the cones *yet* (ie. maybe your car is capable of it, but just something about the cones you have driven by does not register).

Curious, are those voting yes for cone visualization basing the vote on actually having the car recognize cones, or based on the software update release notes saying your car can visualize cones? For example, I have HW2.5, no FSD, and my update did not mention traffic cones. Some updates do explicitly mention traffic cones.

Also, I originally created this thread in the Model 3 forum, and it got moved here... maybe the S/X vs 3 visualize things differently?

So it appears all HW3 cars regardless of software options will visualize the traffic cones. I find it interesting that there are a few HW2.5 with FSD that say their cars do and do not visualize cones... 2 possibilities that I see: some of those who think they have HW2.5 actually have HW3, or those with HW2.5 and FSD have just not had their car visualize the cones *yet* (ie. maybe your car is capable of it, but just something about the cones you have driven by does not register).

Curious, are those voting yes for cone visualization basing the vote on actually having the car recognize cones, or based on the software update release notes saying your car can visualize cones? For example, I have HW2.5, no FSD, and my update did not mention traffic cones. Some updates do explicitly mention traffic cones.

Also, I originally created this thread in the Model 3 forum, and it got moved here... maybe the S/X vs 3 visualize things differently?

I thought I might unknowingly have HW3 as well, but the VIN indicates otherwise and Tesla Service has confirmed my mobile appointment for next Wednesday to perform the HW3 upgrade. I got a notification that I will see a software upgrade available in the next few days but not to install it before the upgrade.

Your VIN wouldn’t have any indication of what computer is in it. FYI March is when they started putting HW3 in cars. More curious though is the service appointment. That said, wouldn’t be the first time the left hand and the right hand weren’t talking to each other at Tesla lol. But if you don’t already have it, hope they do follow through and give it to you next week. I can’t say it does anything noticeably different to me yet but should be an interesting year of updates coming up...

Your VIN wouldn’t have any indication of what computer is in it. FYI March is when they started putting HW3 in cars. More curious though is the service appointment. That said, wouldn’t be the first time the left hand and the right hand weren’t talking to each other at Tesla lol. But if you don’t already have it, hope they do follow through and give it to you next week. I can’t say it does anything noticeably different to me yet but should be an interesting year of updates coming up...

There actually is a HW revision level in the VIN at a certain position and "4" means HW3 but I have a "3" in this position - but recently Teslafi and others have stated that is is not really accurate. Before version 10 it used an h.264 codec for video which supposedly indicated HW2 or 2.5, but now that is refuted.

So, yes it will be interesting to see if they show up at my house with an HW3 computer.

That is not in the VIN per se. That is in the manufacturing codes associated with that VIN that used to be mined from Tesla’s servers. Tesla has since changed the access to these codes and everything reads as AH3 (AP2.5) even though it’s not. Well, good luck either way. Let us know what they end up doing. Lots of hopefully people out there that the hardware exchange will be coming soon...

That is not in the VIN per se. That is in the manufacturing codes associated with that VIN that used to be mined from Tesla’s servers. Tesla has since changed the access to these codes and everything reads as AH3 (AP2.5) even though it’s not. Well, good luck either way. Let us know what they end up doing. Lots of hopefully people out there that the hardware exchange will be coming soon...

Great info @Pale_Rider that info rings really true based on my experience, thanks! I will relate the experience.

Just got a text from the Austin SC - upgrade is on same date, same time, but I have to take the car in so no mobile service. In the app I checked for earlier appointments for this service and there were none, but there were spots available for the week of Thanksgiving. Anyone nearby wanting the upgrade, I would say if you are on MCU2 with FSD ask for it because they are clearly doing some upgrades at the Austin SC. Supposedly they are not contacting eligible owners right now, but if you ask and they have it available they will do it.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Just got a text from the Austin SC - upgrade is on same date, same time, but I have to take the car in so no mobile service. In the app I checked for earlier appointments for this service and there were none, but there were spots available for the week of Thanksgiving. Anyone nearby wanting the upgrade, I would say if you are on MCU2 with FSD ask for it because they are clearly doing some upgrades at the Austin SC. Supposedly they are not contacting eligible owners right now, but if you ask and they have it available they will do it.

If you have time, can you find some cones to drive by before/after the upgrade (hardware and software) to verify if it changes?