TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Those lucky enough to have Euro Lux \ Exotic and a Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Sep 9, 2016.

1. SDRick

SDRick Member

To those with multiple cars "high-end \ performance" and the like, I am curious as to which car gets the most day to day use? The electric or the others?

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I had a Merc CLK63 AMG when we got the Roadster. We thought the Roadster was completely impractical, so kept the Merc. But after a while it was clear that it only got driven for touring, or once a month to keep the oil circulating. It got traded for the Model S.

• Like x 3
  3. playoutside

playoutside Member

I have had three 911's that I loved. However, I would often not drive them because I wanted to keep mileage low and condition pristine. So driving one was a weekend treat. With the Tesla, I have no desire to drive any other car and I look for reasons to add more mileage.

Now when I pull up beside a Porsche/Ferrari/McLaren etc, I no longer feel a desire to own/drive one.

• Like x 1
  4. SDRick

SDRick Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but my hunch is that those who have other sports or high-end cars are letting them sit and choosing the Tesla as their go-to car.

5. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

#5 sillydriver, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Since getting my P85D (now P85DL) a year and a half ago I have just about completely stopped driving my Bentley Continental GT, Audi R8 (V8 version) and Renntech Mercedes SL600, all of which are now several years old. Most of my wife's driving miles still accrue to her 2011 Range Rover.

The Bentley interior is beautiful, the R8 turns like a go-kart, and the nose-heavy Mercedes can thrill by fishtailing and laying down burnt rubber in a way the P85DL can't, but they are all relics of a bygone era. They make funny noises and have to visit this place called a "gas station." I've put off doing it for old time's sake, but the next personal property tax bill will likely prompt me to part with these three unused ICE cars.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  6. donv

donv Member

All things being equal, I drive my Porsche Cayman about as often as I drive the Tesla. However, all things aren't equal, and as a result the Tesla gets driven quite a few more miles-- mostly because it's a better ski car, better for overnight trips, and has four seats.

For my commute, I actually prefer the Porsche by a little bit-- I don't have a lot of highway driving, and the Porsche is much easier to park (fits in a compact space).

7. JeffreyY

JeffreyY Member

My wife just got a new P90D Model S and it's pretty clear it's a superior drive to my Mercedes S65. The MB SL55 I have is still different enough that it's a fun drive, but now it seems really noisy in comparison to the MS.

• Like x 1
  8. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

Had a customized MB SL55 AMG that I thought I would keep, but the Model S is by far my favorite so I sold the Benz.

9. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

Great thread.