Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those of you who don't get charging facility at home, how do you charge your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally decided to order a S85. But the next thing bother me is the charging. Living in a 15-unit apartment complex, my parking is not covered (no ceiling), and I highly doubt the possibility to do the wiring from the meter room to my parking space.

In the worst case, I won't be able to install a charging facility in my parking space. The nearest supercharging to me is in Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, it's 15 minutes driving, and there's rumors that there would be one near Festival Walk (which is super near to where I live, but nothing is promised yet). My whole family besides me is opposing to buy an EV because they think charging would be a challenge, so I want some opinions here: for those of you who have similar situation, who do you deal with the charging? Do you go to the supercharging spot every week?

Thanks.

I think you have to try hard to find a way to install the wall connector at home. Charge at home is the best way in the long run, drive away every morning with a "full tank" and not to worry about recharging. Your parking is not covered should not make installation impossible. I think Tesla's wall connector does have a waterproof rating (I am not sure, please check with Tesla). Otherwise, I advise you to get a 3rd party wall unit which I know for sure is IP65 rated (waterproof).

I heard that Kai Tak is rather full nowadays, also Wan Chai and CWB. The only one that you can always get a spot will be Cyber Port, but I think that's not very convenient for you.

Finally decided to order a S85. But the next thing bother me is the charging. Living in a 15-unit apartment complex, my parking is not covered (no ceiling), and I highly doubt the possibility to do the wiring from the meter room to my parking space.

In the worst case, I won't be able to install a charging facility in my parking space. The nearest supercharging to me is in Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, it's 15 minutes driving, and there's rumors that there would be one near Festival Walk (which is super near to where I live, but nothing is promised yet). My whole family besides me is opposing to buy an EV because they think charging would be a challenge, so I want some opinions here: for those of you who have similar situation, who do you deal with the charging? Do you go to the supercharging spot every week?

Thanks.

I'm in exactly the same situation, my Tesla comes in May and there seems to be so many on the road now I worry about how I can get a wired space too as I'm renting parking spaces right now.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this forum and see if anyone else out there is running a Tesla without home charging!

Thanks.
I will have charging at home but I think 90% of the time I will charge it outside.
I am planning to charge at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal most of the time becasue I can also keep fit and go for a run for 1 hour when it is charging.

The free issue wall charger isn't weatherproof it's IP44 but I think it's OK that you put it inside a IP65 enclosure with cable coming out from the bottom.

The Supercharger anxiety does exist and owners or future owners have to put pressure on Tesla to improve the infrastructure. There are many places (NT, Shatin Taipo...etc) around in HongKong that can be equipped with SC and most owners don't mind, I presume, to drive 15-30 minutes to get their car charged if that's the way it is. However the frustration is availability of the charging spots.

I don't have home charging and getting other owners of the property to agree on something new isn't easy. I'm now pretty good at predicting when I have to charge (after 40 days of ownership). It would be tough for those of you who has a busy work schedule and can't sneak out for charging during non-peak hours.

I do 2,000k+ per months so I need SC'ing twice per week and whenever I'm in public parking I try using whatever charging facility (even if it's 13A) available.

During long holidays (recent x'mas and new year) I drove 20/30k per day I didn't have to charge at all.

- - - Updated - - -

When my Tesla arrives in March, I plan to charge at the Supercharger stations since I live very close to Causeway Bay and Lee Gardens has an app to check whether the Supercharger stations are available.

Lee Garden is great (less than 3k from my place) however there are only 2 spots and parking rate so expensive. If you are desperate and had to queue ... that's bad.

I can't charge at home but I have told the management that there is a push for EVs. Luckily where I work there is a type 2 charger. So if i had to charge at 16A, I am predicting I only need to park my car there to charge once every 2 weeks, since my mileage is low. If I am running low, then there is also a paid car park for $13/hr which provides 32A type 2 charger... (I only have the single charger ordered for now though). A whole night should get me half way charged.

I live in East NT so KT is the nearest supercharger and there are a lot fewer charging points in this part of HK than Kowloon or HK Island. I am dependent on public charging for the foreseeable future.

Summary is after the first few weeks of range and charging anxiety it becomes pretty easy to plan when to charge. It is no longer an issue for me and I drive 200-700 km/wk.

I've been working with my owner's committee (OC) for over a year. Despite a positive attitude from the OC, getting change in a large estate is slow. I can plan far enough in advance to know where I can charge. As an example, I parked and charged at 32A in Yau Ma Tei for a 1/2 day business meeting I had at Nathan and Austin road. So I had to walk a few extra blocks but not a big deal.

Nevertheless, I will continue to push for more convenient charging locations.
-This includes reminding Tesla at every opportunity that we bought supercharging service as part of the purchase price of the car and need more locations - supercharging is not free, we paid up front for it. Tesla needs to deliver the goods conveniently everywhere in HK commensurate with the quantity of cars sold
-Using charging facilities everywhere to show there is demand (if you see my car charging and need a charge urgently please look at the QR code on my windshield to contact me)
-Working with my owners' committee to get home charging

I charge every I can. And where I cannot charge, I ask for charging. I am still looking to get ChaDeMo and J1772 adapters, although both those standards are very rare in Hong Kong.

In order to improve the charging station infrastructure, for all of us, we need to show that there is a demand.

Tesla Motors Hong Kong decided to give us a Mennekes type-2 cable, which is the best option for charging on AC power. The problem is that this way of charging is also quite rare (yet) in Hong Kong. TM HK is afraid that someone will plug this into a wall socket where the underlying installation cannot support a constant 10A draw (despite being designed for 13A). They are also concerned people will complain about the BS1363 being so slow (2 full days for a complete charge).

Something like 95% of all charging stations are 13A BS1363, which requires a cable that doesn't come with the Model S. And the price is steep, almost 4000 HKD, for the cable giving us the slowest charge. Despite the concerns mentioned above, all Tesla Model S owners should have gotten this cable, included in the price. And TM HK can still do it, send out cables to all existing owners - and give one to all future owners.

Yes it is slow, yes it is inefficient. But it is almost everywhere in Hong Kong. And for overnight, work and airport charging, it has it's place. The BS1363 is so cheap to install, especially if it is unmetered, just a solid installation. The airport parking lots should be littered with these, hundreds of them in all parking lots. Taking a flight somewhere, most people will be gone for two days or more, and get a quick charge that way. As the cable is so slow, it won't affect the cost too much, as parking is already close to 200 HKD pr day (depending on which parking lot). P2 should have these especially, while short term and P4 should have superchargers, ChaDeMo and at least, type-2 32A/3~.

So where do I charge?

In terms of km, most of my charging comes from superchargers
In terms of times I have connected, most times are to BS1363.
In terms of best located charging facility: Kwai Chung Estate (32A/3~ - 2 hours free parking - closer to where I live, no need to cross tolls or city rush hour standstill)

The best middle-of-the-road charging spot I would suggest is type-2 32A/3~ :

- Quite fast, can charge a 85 kWh battery from 0 to full in less than 4 hours
- Not too expensive installation, as long as 3 phase is available in the building/area
- Works with all electric cars (in some cases with an adapter)
- Cable is included with the Model S delivery

Does any of you know name/contact that we could be writing to in Tesla (never mind if it's Tesla HQ, if we know of his/her email address) demanding more SC or at least report on their current actions/progress about SC infrastructure? We hope our ownership experience is improving and not deteriorating and SC infrastructure plays an important role. This is HK and we don't have a detached house with parking lot and a solar panel on the roof, Tesla knows that, and as Bill said above a reasonable ownership experience is included in our price tag.

After 6 weeks I just stopped logging my mileage and consumption yesterday as I felt a lot less range anxiety, as DITB said above I'll look for charging spot wherever I go even if battery level is sufficient. By doing so we demonstrate the demand of EV charging and enhance visibility of EV in public. Most of the time these charging spots are coned off therefore it saves you time looking for (sometimes fighting for) parking spaces.

Note also that government buildings/parking are best as they have at least couple of IEC type-2 spots. However for government offices/parking you could only park after office hours (e.g. Sai Kung, Wanchai, Admiralty, Shatin etc). If you don't have home-charging you could park after 5pm, go for a drink/dinner, then come back with your battery reasonably filled up.

There is no need to demand anything from Tesla, the supercharger team know the situation and are working on it. The biggest problem is the quality of the electrical supply in HK. Many major buildings simply don't have the power to handle it. There are plans for numerous Kowloon side chargers if they can sort this issue out.

There is no need to demand anything from Tesla, the supercharger team know the situation and are working on it. The biggest problem is the quality of the electrical supply in HK. Many major buildings simply don't have the power to handle it. There are plans for numerous Kowloon side chargers if they can sort this issue out.

Totally agree - I am sure they are aware of it, and doing all they can.

When you see how much trouble it is to install a wall charger of 40A single phase, imagine installing superchargers!

Last night, I charged up in our OWN car park the first time, yay!

There are 4 wall chargers, and they are not really open yet but we managed to convince "the man with the key" to open up for the electrons to one of them. Voltage only around 208, amps 39, but hey, if you sit there all night, who cares that is is only 8.1 kW? Later this year it will even be 3-phase (or 80A?), so it will be even faster. As 8 "locals" already have electric cars, this is very welcome. 32 HKD for 4 hours will be just under 0.25 HKD pr km charged, not sure if that price stays in place once the chargers are upgraded.

I live in East NT so KT is the nearest supercharger and there are a lot fewer charging points in this part of HK than Kowloon or HK Island. I am dependent on public charging for the foreseeable future.

Summary is after the first few weeks of range and charging anxiety it becomes pretty easy to plan when to charge. It is no longer an issue for me and I drive 200-700 km/wk.

I've been working with my owner's committee (OC) for over a year. Despite a positive attitude from the OC, getting change in a large estate is slow. I can plan far enough in advance to know where I can charge. As an example, I parked and charged at 32A in Yau Ma Tei for a 1/2 day business meeting I had at Nathan and Austin road. So I had to walk a few extra blocks but not a big deal.

Nevertheless, I will continue to push for more convenient charging locations.
-This includes reminding Tesla at every opportunity that we bought supercharging service as part of the purchase price of the car and need more locations - supercharging is not free, we paid up front for it. Tesla needs to deliver the goods conveniently everywhere in HK commensurate with the quantity of cars sold
-Using charging facilities everywhere to show there is demand (if you see my car charging and need a charge urgently please look at the QR code on my windshield to contact me)
-Working with my owners' committee to get home charging

Ebill, could you tell me where in YauMaTei did you get a 32A charger?

It's Yau Ma Tei Carpark building. When searching on the maps use intersection of Kansu street and Market Street.

If you search for Yau Ma Tei carpark building sometimes the instructions will take you on Highway 5 which runs through the middle of the building. As well as kilometers out of your way since you get stuck on highway 5.

It's Yau Ma Tei Carpark building. When searching on the maps use intersection of Kansu street and Market Street.

If you search for Yau Ma Tei carpark building sometimes the instructions will take you on Highway 5 which runs through the middle of the building. As well as kilometers out of your way since you get stuck on highway 5.

Thanks EBill, lx3h and deku for the info. I live in the Kowloon Station area so would like to know more charging places nearby. I knew that the Olympian City has got SCs. Hope that SCs can be put in the Elements.