Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those steering wheel lock things - should I keep it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Is there any point in me hanging on to this thing?

1637599200526.jpeg

I put it on Nextdoor and someone asked me about it, then I thought ... "Maybe I should keep it for the Y"

then I though "But it's a PitA - AND the cars are very difficult to steal anyway because of the telemetry AND it'll probably just tear up the steering wheel"

What's the collective wisdom here?

Is there any point in me hanging on to this thing?

View attachment 735998

I put it on Nextdoor and someone asked me about it, then I thought ... "Maybe I should keep it for the Y"

then I though "But it's a PitA - AND the cars are very difficult to steal anyway because of the telemetry AND it'll probably just tear up the steering wheel"

What's the collective wisdom here?
My $0.02 is that it is up to you and where you live.

Pin to drive makes the car more difficult to steal if you have it enabled but this serves as a visual deterrent that time spent might not be worth it.

Wham bam Tesla cam has some good vids of people checking doors on Teslas when people don't have mirror fold on lock enabled so the "corporate knowledge", if you will, among the nefarious actors is out there.

At the end of the day, if you get peace of mind from it, keep it. I park in DC and have Pin to drive enabled. I worry more about "smash and grab" theft.

Nah, toss it. They are super easy to open now. 10 seconds with a cordless grinder and a zip wheel, or a master key, or drill the lock, depending on the lock body.

If they somehow get past all the Tesla security, that won't be a big deal to deal with.

And you have to spend your life taking that thing on and off, and tripping over it in the back seat.