Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those who reset score - how soon after reaching 99/100 (100+ miles) did you receive FSD Beta?

Those who reset score - how soon after reaching 99/100 (100+ miles) did you receive FSD Beta?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked app, safety score still there. If they really ignore people that have been running 99+ scores for 7+ weeks, I'll be pissed.
If Tesla sent you a notification saying "We're not accepting new FSD Beta participants at this time. However, we may need further testers in the future. To maintain your position in the queue, please continue to maintain a high safety score. Or you may withdraw from the queue and re-enter at a later date but doing so will reset your position."

Would you be more comfortable with that communication from Tesla?

How about if they started showing people their position in queue. Would you stay in the queue and keep your safety score up if you knew you were 75,789 in queue? What if you were 30,439? And how would you answer change if you knew the total number in queue was 200,000 - or 100,000?

I would imagine that many people would simply cancel their request and remove themselves from the queue knowing there were tens of thousands ahead of them.

When you say "If they really ignore people..." do you mean Tesla not communicating the numbers being admitted, the rate they are admitting, the total number in queue, etc.?

Reactions: Ciaopec
There's no announcement from Tesla that the FSD Beta program is infinite. They never said they will accept everyone that wants in. We know they have about 60,000 people in Beta. Will they need more testers? We don't know. They are being smart and leaving the door open for more testers in the future, but they may have all they need for now.

So you have a choice: Keep it up - a 99 score is excellent and you're making yourself a better driver in general. If they need more testers in the future, you may likely be invited to join. Or cancel your request to join and drive the car the way you want, not worrying about your safety score.

Again, be careful what you wish for. Being in the Beta is not "fun" - it's a serious commitment and full of stress. You can't "tune out" and listen to music, driving on your brain's version of autopilot. It takes complete concentration. I wish more people understood this. Yes, it's exciting to get into the Beta. You feel like you're on the cutting edge and can brag to your friends that your car can drive itself. But you quickly learn it's not all fun and games.

Another comment I heard from someone in Beta was "It's very difficult to drive on Beta, and I don't like how it turns. I almost hit a parked car, and I thought it was going to run a red light." I asked them how they are adjusting to the Beta given these issues, and they said "I just don't use Beta much anymore. I use AP on the freeway, but not on city streets." I'm sure they wish they knew what to expect before accepting the invite into Beta.

Here's another way to look at it: For those of you trying to get into Beta, think of it as a job. You are applying for a job, and a serious one that could mean injury or death if you don't do your job right. Do you want that kind of stress and responsibility? If you do legitimately want the job, and are fighting to prove you can do it well to help further Telsa's goal of the future of driving, then I wish you the best and sincerely hope you get admitted as soon as Tesla needs more testers.

Yes, some might say, it's not very nice of them to leave us stuck in Safety Score limbo for weeks, but they have no obligation to give us BETA. It's by invitation only...

It sucks but that's the way it is.
We know. But would a little communication with customers hurt them, to at least set expectations?

This is a pervasive theme with Tesla: absolutely terrible communication.

Reactions: Andy O
It's happened to a few other people since yesterday. Some are speculating it's an indication Beta granting could be imminent.
It start showing again after i drove 16 miles, got excited for a moment. But no luck drove 1700 plus miles with 99 scores and last 8 days now over 300 miles with 100 scores. Still nothing. Started feeling like wasted 10k.

It start showing again after i drove 16 miles, got excited for a moment. But no luck drove 1700 plus miles with 99 scores and last 8 days now over 300 miles with 100 scores. Still nothing. Started feeling like wasted 10k.
Wasted 10K? Did you not get Autopilot on freeways/highways? Did you not get automatic lane changes and navigation on autopilot while on freeways? Does your car not auto park itself, and allow you to summon it out of a tight garage or parking space? Do you not have traffic light awareness and notifications when lights change? All those features are what you paid $10K for. And the understanding that in the future you will also get Autopilot on city streets. Your $10K didn't say you'll get city streets on a specific date (which Tesla has failed to provide), nor did it say you'd get automatically enrolled into the Beta.

If you spent $10K with the HOPE that you'd get those last two features, and the other features mean nothing to you, then I'd say yes you wasted your $10K.

If you spent $10K with the HOPE that you'd get those last two features, and the other features mean nothing to you, then I'd say yes you wasted your $10K.
I paid 7k for the whole package which I expect (not hope) to include a completed 'autosteer on city streets', a feature that's wrapped up in FSD beta. I understand your point and agree that no date was put in writing, however, taking Elon at face value, it should have been widely available years ago. So, for those that paid 10k and now 12, I can understand the frustration if seeing the beta roll out the way it has. And before anyone says they're rolling it out to 'careful' drivers (which on face value does make sense), the 'safety score' system from my own experience isn't a true measure 'safety', nor does it make anyone a safer driver. It's basically biased to people that live in areas with less traffic as it's way too easy for the anti-collision system to trigger at times when there's clearly no danger. And once the beta is obtained, people are going to fall right back to their usual way of driving.

IMO, it should have been rolled out in the order of purchase date with those waiting the longest getting it first.

I challenge anyone to drive in the city of Miami every day and keep a perfect safety score for at least 2 weeks. And I don't mean 5 minutes a day. I mean a typical 25–45-minute commute to and from. Also, one would think a more fruitful test would be in these very locations where it would be put through its paces.

And to be clear, I see both sides of the argument. I get that this is a very ambitious undertaking and we've come to accept Elon's statements as part of his overly ambitious personality. However, the frustration of those that have been looking forward to testing the beta is totally understandable.

Last edited:
IMO, it should have been rolled out in the order of purchase date with those waiting the longest getting it first.
I can see that point of view. However, in our regulation-heavy society, Tesla has to protect itself somehow against agencies who will argue that a potentially dangerous feature is being released to the public without any oversight or requirements. By shielding FSD Beta behind a "Safety Score", using industry standard metrics of driver safety (following distance, hard braking, cornering, etc.), Tesla can at least argue that the feature is being tested by drivers who have shown their skill. This is in lieu of formal training and certification to be "Safety Drivers". That's not to say that various agencies still won't come after Tesla and terminate the FSD Beta program, but it does give Tesla some reasonable argument to protect itself.

I can see that point of view. However, in our regulation-heavy society, Tesla has to protect itself somehow against agencies who will argue that a potentially dangerous feature is being released to the public without any oversight or requirements. By shielding FSD Beta behind a "Safety Score", using industry standard metrics of driver safety (following distance, hard braking, cornering, etc.), Tesla can at least argue that the feature is being tested by drivers who have shown their skill. This is in lieu of formal training and certification to be "Safety Drivers". That's not to say that various agencies still won't come after Tesla and terminate the FSD Beta program, but it does give Tesla some reasonable argument to protect itself.
Fair point, however, one can argue that the currently enabled features (stop light / sign awareness, summon, auto lane change, ability to use autopilot on 2-lane roads and city streets) are equally as dangerous. Plus, there is oversight after the fact with FSD beta users being suspended or the feature being removed if not used safely.

Fair point, however, one can argue that the currently enabled features (stop light / sign awareness, summon, auto lane change, ability to use autopilot on 2-lane roads and city streets) are equally as dangerous. Plus, there is oversight after the fact with FSD beta users being suspended or the feature being removed if not used safely.
Which is why there are whispers of NHTSA possibly going after Autopilot in general, let alone FSD Beta. We know the naming convention is under review, then it may be the features. In the past NHTSA and DMV have been fairly hands-off on regulating FSD, as they didn't fully understand the technology, and also didn't want to stifle innovation.

As for current AP features, I think they fall under those hands-off aspects for regulations, as there are now many manufacturers with similar capabilities, including TACC, assisted lane change, traffic light awareness, and even speed limit sign reading. If regulators shut down Tesla's AP features, they'd have to shut down everyone else's too.

And the vast majority of those features, from all manufacturers, typically work in a straight line. Tesla FSD Beta is the only system that I'm aware of, outside of certified driverless systems (like Waymo and Cruise), that can navigate city streets. Putting the Beta behind Safety Scores is Tesla's attempt to avoid having the cars regulated as driverless and forcing every car to be registered and the drivers to get certified as Safety Drivers (like Waymo and others do). It also does one more important thing - reduce, if not eliminate, Tesla's liability.

I for one hope they leave our features intact, probably forcing a name change to reduce confusion.

Which is why there are whispers of NHTSA possibly going after Autopilot in general, let alone FSD Beta. We know the naming convention is under review, then it may be the features. In the past NHTSA and DMV have been fairly hands-off on regulating FSD, as they didn't fully understand the technology, and also didn't want to stifle innovation.

As for current AP features, I think they fall under those hands-off aspects for regulations, as there are now many manufacturers with similar capabilities, including TACC, assisted lane change, traffic light awareness, and even speed limit sign reading. If regulators shut down Tesla's AP features, they'd have to shut down everyone else's too.

And the vast majority of those features, from all manufacturers, typically work in a straight line. Tesla FSD Beta is the only system that I'm aware of, outside of certified driverless systems (like Waymo and Cruise), that can navigate city streets. Putting the Beta behind Safety Scores is Tesla's attempt to avoid having the cars regulated as driverless and forcing every car to be registered and the drivers to get certified as Safety Drivers (like Waymo and others do). It also does one more important thing - reduce, if not eliminate, Tesla's liability.

I for one hope they leave our features intact, probably forcing a name change to reduce confusion.
While I agree that there are other semi-automated systems with fairly advanced features, Autopilot is way more ambitious in its current form. While other systems are much stricter as to where they allow the features to work (e.g., highway only), Autopilot is much more liberal, and auto-lane changing and summon (to name a few) are pretty much non-existent in other systems. Autopilot is also more liberal when it comes to driver monitoring, an area where it has become a big target.

I'm not doubting Tesla can try to use safety scoring as a possible shield against stricter regulations. However, it's inconceivable that the NHTSA would consider Tesla's rudimentary system as an acceptable substitute for Safety Drivers in a non-geofenced automation system like Autopilot.

What I think is happening is the NHTSA is simply looking the other way for now which is actually good for us, and like you, I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewg
Wasted 10K? Did you not get Autopilot on freeways/highways? Did you not get automatic lane changes and navigation on autopilot while on freeways? Does your car not auto park itself, and allow you to summon it out of a tight garage or parking space? Do you not have traffic light awareness and notifications when lights change? All those features are what you paid $10K for. And the understanding that in the future you will also get Autopilot on city streets. Your $10K didn't say you'll get city streets on a specific date (which Tesla has failed to provide), nor did it say you'd get automatically enrolled into the Beta.

Okay sir if you say, i dont want to argue, what i read that after 100 miles with 100 safety score getting it, and i am not is frustrating, plus most of the time on autopilot auto steer not available. In bad weather like raining again not available. In rural area or less traffic on freeway it’s available. So many things i can point out needs to get fixed. But nowhere to let tesla know. Like on narrow bridge upcoming car in there lane and i am at in mine and FCW warning. Rest of what you pay for you wants that , I totally understand they are working on it . But they gotta have better communication about it . Your thinking is different then mine.

Okay sir if you say, i dont want to argue, what i read that after 100 miles with 100 safety score getting it, and i am not is frustrating, plus most of the time on autopilot auto steer not available. In bad weather like raining again not available. In rural area or less traffic on freeway it’s available. So many things i can point out needs to get fixed. But nowhere to let tesla know. Like on narrow bridge upcoming car in there lane and i am at in mine and FCW warning. Rest of what you pay for you wants that , I totally understand they are working on it . But they gotta have better communication about it . Your thinking is different then mine.
That would be great, and make sense, if Tesla actually defined how/when to get into the beta, but that’s the first I’ve ever heard of anyone saying they saw a timeline/requirement listed. They just don’t seem to ever do that.

Of course, I still can’t even get the Safety Score so it seems I’m a long ways from worrying about getting in to the beta. 😏

That would be great, and make sense, if Tesla actually defined how/when to get into the beta, but that’s the first I’ve ever heard of anyone saying they saw a timeline/requirement listed. They just don’t seem to ever do that.

Of course, I still can’t even get the Safety Score so it seems I’m a long ways from worrying about getting in to the beta. 😏

As per my knowledge thats what i read, plus $10k spent is for those two features, otherwise car comes with autopilot. All i was trying to find out about better communication or when they releasing it for more testers. Autopilot features comes standard with car. Add FSD is $10k. Its nice car fast and with all features but gotta drive like grandma.

As per my knowledge thats what i read, plus $10k spent is for those two features, otherwise car comes with autopilot. All i was trying to find out about better communication or when they releasing it for more testers. Autopilot features comes standard with car. Add FSD is $10k. Its nice car fast and with all features but gotta drive like grandma.
Yep no question Tesla lacks communication. I did send an email off to [email protected] after the service center pointed me to them when I asked why I can’t get the Safety Score. This was the auto-reply. sent it over the weekend and haven’t got another response and doubt I will.

Edit: relevant part at the bottom for this thread. They are reviewing requests. 🙄

Hello,

Thank you for emailing [email protected]. We appreciate your participation and feedback; all feature related feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate engineering team. If any additional information is needed, we will reach out directly.

If you would like to opt-out of the Early Access Program, please reply to this email and we will process your request.

For all vehicle related concerns please schedule a service appointment through your Tesla mobile app.

We are currently reviewing all inquiries into the Full Self-Driving Early Access Beta Program

Thank you,

EAP Team

Reactions: Vick sandhu
You can open a service request if you're experiencing problems with Autopilot and TACC, could be a problem with your cameras or equipment. It seems you're having way more problems than you should be. Occasional phantom braking is normal, otherwise it could be a problem.

Reactions: Vick sandhu
You can open a service request if you're experiencing problems with Autopilot and TACC, could be a problem with your cameras or equipment. It seems you're having way more problems than you should be. Occasional phantom braking is normal, otherwise it could be a problem.
Yup you are right need service i guess, like today on red light stopped and cars in front of me and wasn't showing in chime to processed, while those cars were stopped .

Attachments

• 0642202F-11E3-4618-9A6B-8CB482E3D051.jpeg
    0642202F-11E3-4618-9A6B-8CB482E3D051.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: Dewg
Hey everybody. I'm in Canada, and we just got the update with the Safety Score 1 week ago. We were at 100 for a couple of days, then dropped to 97, and for the last 3 days have been back up to 100 (in other words, 100 is our average over the 7 days we've had it, but we have not maintained 100 for all 7 days). If the Canadian FSD Beta Safety Score system is the same in Canada as in the US, will we have to achieve 100 for each of 7 consecutive days, or is a 100 average over the last 7 days good enough? Thank you.

UPDATE: I won't be given FSD Beta anyway, as apparently, I need to receive the free camera upgrade first. When they gave me the free HW3.0 upgrade, this had not yet been decided.

Last edited: